Motorola "X" Phone

imurfavorite

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
So this may turn to be nexus 5 lol. And I thought it was coming out with exynos octa core. Guess I was wrong lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is an appropriate question for this thread, but why would Google want to be making two different phones; X and Nexus? It seems to me that the N4 is a top of the line phone. It will surely be upgraded. I can understand why they would want to control the manufactuering process and supply line, but why spend the ad dollars to compete against yourself?

Nexus phones have always been more development oriented. Not meant for massive sales with limited features and stupid low price point. The Galaxy Nexus was a move toward making the brand go for the mass market with all of the carrier support and ads and such, but the nexus 4 was a step back toward a purely development device with limited availability and network support.

Google may be using the rumored x phone as a mass market flagship and pulling the nexus back to pure development.

Sent from my SCH-I535

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Motorola "X" Phone

Rumored mid summer but if the new Snapdragon 800 processor is going to be included, it could be set back as far as November or even later.

Im not so sure the 800 will take that long. They have stated it will be available in commercial devices in the second half - may see it late summer or fall. Its sampling now.

Also, Motorola can't wait past summer. They need to make something, and soon.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google may be using the rumored x phone as a mass market flagship and pulling the nexus back to pure development.

Sent from my SCH-I535
That would be better move for Google from done so far was Nexus Line. With the X line of devices they could use that product to educate masses on Google and Android. Show the masses Google responsible for Android and the features they love by their OEM partners would be nothing without Google.

A new more robust reiteration of G line phones (G1,G2, G2x) could the X line be? Will the X line be specific to one carrier and will it be stock android or light skinned version of stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That would be better move for Google from done so far was Nexus Line. With the X line of devices they could use that product to educate masses on Google and Android. Show the masses Google responsible for Android and the features they love by their OEM partners would be nothing without Google.

A new more robust reiteration of G line phones (G1,G2, G2x) could the X line be? Will the X line be specific to one carrier and will it be stock android or light skinned version of stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I hope it is on all carriers, single carrier devices is their biggest issue.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is an appropriate question for this thread, but why would Google want to be making two different phones; X and Nexus? It seems to me that the N4 is a top of the line phone. It will surely be upgraded. I can understand why they would want to control the manufactuering process and supply line, but why spend the ad dollars to compete against yourself?

Because the X Phone will be a Motorola phone and not a Nexus phone.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think Nexus will be their high-end brand and X will be their mid-range brand. You aren't competing against yourself when you produce products that are at different price points. Quite the contrary. You are expanding your product line to appeal to a wider range of potential buyers.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think Nexus will be their high-end brand and X will be their mid-range brand. You aren't competing against yourself when you produce products that are at different price points. Quite the contrary. You are expanding your product line to appeal to a wider range of potential buyers.
I don't think they even care about competing against themselves. They may continue to support other manufacturers for Nexus phones which helps the entire Android ecosystem. LG was always the underdog but is now gaining popularity. Plus Asus has made a big splash with the tablets they've made. It would be great to see them do a nexus phone in the future.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they even care about competing against themselves. They may continue to support other manufacturers for Nexus phones which helps the entire Android ecosystem. LG was always the underdog but is now gaining popularity. Plus Asus has made a big splash with the tablets they've made. It would be great to see them do a nexus phone in the future.

I would love to see an Asus Nexus phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Nexus phones have always been more development oriented. Not meant for massive sales with limited features and stupid low price point. The Galaxy Nexus was a move toward making the brand go for the mass market with all of the carrier support and ads and such, but the nexus 4 was a step back toward a purely development device with limited availability and network support.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Yeah seems Google sees Samsung as a major threat, and will probably look for the Moto X to directly challenge Samsung and Apple.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah seems Google sees Samsung as a major threat, and will probably look for the Moto X to directly challenge Samsung and Apple.
Why are they a threat? When Android wins Google wins. Even if Samsung goes the way Amazon did they still gain users and data.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why are they a threat? When Android wins Google wins. Even if Samsung goes the way Amazon did they still gain users and data.

I also disagree 100% with Sammy being a threat. But either way, if Google steps up their game... we win. If that causes Sammy or Apple to step up... we win. In fact the only way we don't win is if they all start to feel comfortable and stop trying to earn our business.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I also disagree 100% with Sammy being a threat. But either way, if Google steps up their game... we win. If that causes Sammy or Apple to step up... we win. In fact the only way we don't win is if they all start to feel comfortable and stop trying to earn our business.

This. More competition always ends up being good for the end users.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This is true, however Samsung could potentially become a threat if they actually switch to tizen and a large number of users follow. I don't see this happening for a couple of years, but you know that Samsung would drop android for their own thing of they could.

Plus one could argue that Google didn't like the way the Kindle fire was successful and came out with the nexus 7 to slaughter it. I don't think for a minute this was a key motivation with the nexus 7, but it sure was convenient whether intended or not.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is true, however Samsung could potentially become a threat if they actually switch to tizen and a large number of users follow. I don't see this happening for a couple of years, but you know that Samsung would drop android for their own thing of they could.

Plus one could argue that Google didn't like the way the Kindle fire was successful and came out with the nexus 7 to slaughter it. I don't think for a minute this was a key motivation with the nexus 7, but it sure was convenient whether intended or not.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Agree in part with this, but Sammy won't drop Google until there is something to gain. As Sammy doesn't actually own Tizen, it's just a partner in it, it's not like they get their own Google out of it. From a customer experience and retention standpoint, Samsung loses BIG if they lose access to the Google Play Store without something close in quality to back it up with. It is probably inevitable that Sammy will venture out, but even then I still think they'll keep Android devices for awhile releasing dual streams to try to hold on to the significant customer base that won't follow automatically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201