Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook

Motorola Xoom or Blackberry Playbook

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I definitley get that point. And I too heard that one of its biggest benefits is Syncing with a current BB Smartphone. Maybe thats their target audience.

Im 95% the Xoom, going tomorrow or Friday. and at least i can go Sunday to play with the PB and see how i feel about it.

Wow, after'reading all of those reviews there is no way I would get it now, I mean when I had a storm and storm 2 I loved the bbm, calender ect.... but this new state of the art tablet doesn't even have those programs, seems very weird that rim would release something like that. Its one thing to release a new OS that has flaws its another not even to incorporate programs where as in rims case most people use it for business... but no calender app.... rofl I'm kind of sad that they have fallen so behind in innovation, I used to love blackberry products.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: JerzieBarbie

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I love my Xoom, I would be a fool not to recommend it... however, if you are going to need it for business and actual real day usage, you may have to wait before this becomes a little more stable. I love my Xoom because I have always loved messing around with my Android devices. I have seen the PlayBook do a great deal of NICE stuff, but the majority of the time I hate gestures (trust me, I love how WebOS looks and feels but the whole gesture thing just really sucks) which really distracts me from the overall much more smoother, cleaner, and stable OS that the PlayBook so obviously holds over the Xoom. However, the PlayBook is not without its faults ( besides my opinion on gesture based OSes). The fact that BlackBerru dev support is increasingly lacking another reason to stay away from this device. Yes there are Android apps, but the odds that devs will try and make these apps more compatible with the PlayBook is just so unlikely. Another reason I dislike the PlayBook is... LOOK AT THE SCREEN. They claim it is 7 inches but that is very small, the Xoom has a much bigger screen which makes for a nicer typing experience( I get this from the fact that I have tried and used a Tab for a day, you will just look like you are holding a big phone, sorta like the Streak only goofier). One thing you also have to consider is which brand has been more reliable? To my understanding RIM has killed off a lot of BlackBerry devices when they announced BB OS 6. This proves troubling, I doubt that the PlayBook will be outdated easily, but to think that RIM would kill off software support before the carriers could even stop selling it is pretty sad. Yes Android is more or less like that, but if you are a tech junkie you most likely will be able to install future ROMs if you dislike the one you currently have etc. One final thing that you NEED to look at is simply the openness of the platforms. Does RIM allow you to install custom operating systems and such? Do they allow you full access to the hardware? I don't think so, correct me if I am wrong.

Really though if you are a tech junkie, Motorola Xoom. The BlackBerry PlayBook is a more iPadish thing, it has a polished and stable UI, it has accessories and support from the manufacturer at launch ( cases, docks, cables) and it also feels more complete.It's something that if you actually want to go read a CNN article or watch a YouTube video, that could do it for you without a hitch. However with the Xoom, you are a beta tester... everything feels so experimental, the browser crashes without warning, flash freezes the device altogether, hell there have even been reports that Google Books and YouTube isn't coming preinstalled in a lot of people's Xooms. So again... wanna have some tech I fun? Xoom, all the way. Want to get something done without a single thought of imminent failure? PlayBook for ya.

Sent from my Xoom

ljewlove

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my Xoom, I would be a fool not to recommend it... however, if you are going to need it for business and actual real day usage, you may have to wait before this becomes a little more stable. I love my Xoom because I have always loved messing around with my Android devices. I have seen the PlayBook do a great deal of NICE stuff, but the majority of the time I hate gestures (trust me, I love how WebOS looks and feels but the whole gesture thing just really sucks) which really distracts me from the overall much more smoother, cleaner, and stable OS that the PlayBook so obviously holds over the Xoom. However, the PlayBook is not without its faults ( besides my opinion on gesture based OSes). The fact that BlackBerru dev support is increasingly lacking another reason to stay away from this device. Yes there are Android apps, but the odds that devs will try and make these apps more compatible with the PlayBook is just so unlikely. Another reason I dislike the PlayBook is... LOOK AT THE SCREEN. They claim it is 7 inches but that is very small, the Xoom has a much bigger screen which makes for a nicer typing experience( I get this from the fact that I have tried and used a Tab for a day, you will just look like you are holding a big phone, sorta like the Streak only goofier). One thing you also have to consider is which brand has been more reliable? To my understanding RIM has killed off a lot of BlackBerry devices when they announced BB OS 6. This proves troubling, I doubt that the PlayBook will be outdated easily, but to think that RIM would kill off software support before the carriers could even stop selling it is pretty sad. Yes Android is more or less like that, but if you are a tech junkie you most likely will be able to install future ROMs if you dislike the one you currently have etc. One final thing that you NEED to look at is simply the openness of the platforms. Does RIM allow you to install custom operating systems and such? Do they allow you full access to the hardware? I don't think so, correct me if I am wrong.

Really though if you are a tech junkie, Motorola Xoom. The BlackBerry PlayBook is a more iPadish thing, it has a polished and stable UI, it has accessories and support from the manufacturer at launch ( cases, docks, cables) and it also feels more complete.It's something that if you actually want to go read a CNN article or watch a YouTube video, that could do it for you without a hitch. However with the Xoom, you are a beta tester... everything feels so experimental, the browser crashes without warning, flash freezes the device altogether, hell there have even been reports that Google Books and YouTube isn't coming preinstalled in a lot of people's Xooms. So again... wanna have some tech I fun? Xoom, all the way. Want to get something done without a single thought of imminent failure? PlayBook for ya.

Sent from my Xoom

Have you read crackberries review of the playbook? They were negative towards there own device, at one point he had to restart the whole thing because of low memory. The playbook lacks a calender, email, notes, and blackberry messenger according to reviews by other websites. I'm not sure how this would make it polished, but since it seems you have had time to play with it then maybe I'm wrong, however all the reviews I have read say its extremely unpolished. Its also got a new interface os and I'm sure that it will have bugs unknown to us as well. Maybe I'm missing something though.

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Wmoor004, Yes I od lobe my Epic and might I add the SuperAMOLED screen *boo boo's* on the resolution of the Evo. I happen to like the phone all around better. The larger screen 4.3 on the Evo had me, but offering so much more when i did hands on, i ended up with an Epic and i really do like it. Hey uou have 30 days to change your mind. Do what i did and go to a store and do a side by side and flip through homescreen and menus and such and you will then know which you want. I use my Physical keyboard 90% of the time and its very easy, buttons are of good size.

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
SmokeXZ thanks so much for the thorough responce. As most devices, they are not perfect. So as long as its not a constant OMG reseting again, then I will make way. And as you said, they are always doing updates and things. The Xoom has mu full attention and once I get it, I will sure to give my opinion... not that it matters. lol

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you read crackberries review of the playbook? They were negative towards there own device, at one point he had to restart the whole thing because of low memory. The playbook lacks a calender, email, notes, and blackberry messenger according to reviews by other websites. I'm not sure how this would make it polished, but since it seems you have had time to play with it then maybe I'm wrong, however all the reviews I have read say its extremely unpolished. Its also got a new interface os and I'm sure that it will have bugs unknown to us as well. Maybe I'm missing something though.

The Xoom lacks a lot of eatures as well, and memory leaks only happen when multi tasking is gone to hell, it happens on every device. The BB os has always had this, it's not really a surprise, not enough ram your device will not work... the applications can be fixed OTA or maybe just downloads on BB world. It's not as massive as the Xoom where SD isn't available out of the box and LTE needs to be installed.

Sent from my Xoom

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
But I do need Help! I love the 10inch display on the Xoom, but the Playbook with its 7inch screen also has lots of features... and its Blackberry OS, which wasnt a problem for me to bein with.

I'm surprised no one yet has commented on this part of your original post...

The PlayBook does not, at all, run BlackBerry OS. Just making sure you're aware of that so you aren't considering the "comfort zone" as a selling point after having owned a BlackBerry for a few years.

markot86

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I hate to rain on the Xoom lovefest going on here, but I have to throw in my two cents. I got the xoom on launch day and ended up returning it mostly because it felt laggy and the screen really bothered me. I too have an epic and have grown accustomed to its gorgeous screen. The zoom is literally unusable outside and the quality of its LCD quite frankly sucks. Before you make your decision I would HIGHLY recommend going to the store and playing with both tablets once the playbook comes out. I wish I would have played with the xoom before I picked it up, woulda saved me 80 dollars.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
XOOM or Playbook

There are many reviews out there.

There are many tablets on the Horizon.

I waited too long to order an iPad2, and went with the Xoom wi-fi on launch day. No camping out, no long lines, simple went to a Best Buy and played with the verizon Model and asked if the wi-fi only was available.

Since I bought it in the afternoon, I decided to let it fully charge overnight and started using it the next day after work. I couldn't put the thing down! Some keep talking about the lack of apps, but I have loaded all/most the apps I have on my EVO and then some on this device. I use FB and surf the web a great deal, and being able to use a tablet instead of my laptop or desktop is pure heaven. For all the talk of the device crashing, it has not crashed on me once in almost 3 weeks of use. I have the Amazon Adroid APP and was able to sync my apps to my tablet.

Wanted to add many cite the lack of flash. That has been updated.

Flash sites aren't always slow.

The SD Card "fix" is out there and an official update soon.

My only real complaint is the charging port. Motorola could have saved money with a USB charging port (like most other devices).

I came from a BB 8330 that crashed frequently (was told 3 email accounts was excessive for the device). Having 2 android devices makes it EASIER to understand and operate!
My Dell laptop is 3.5 years old and the tablet seems a bit faster than the laptop.

I installed the Pocketcloud App on my tablet and a desktop and can now remotelty access my home computer. This will come in handy while travelling. I am looking forward to my first airplane trip with my XOOM and without my laptop this weekend.

If possible, buy it from a place with a 30 or 90 day exchange policy (costco). Plus Costco has a free gel skin included.

I am looking for a good quality leather or other material case for it. I'm not spending $100 on a case though. One of my pet peaves about my EVO is the lack of accessories. I bought the Seidio Case, but since I have an extended battery now, the case sets on the table with the stock battery. Not many cases for XOOM (yet).

Last edited:

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Blackberry OS

I'm surprised no one yet has commented on this part of your original post...

The PlayBook does not, at all, run BlackBerry OS. Just making sure you're aware of that so you aren't considering the "comfort zone" as a selling point after having owned a BlackBerry for a few years.

Yes I know its running on the new OS, I was referring to it being "Blackberry" Tablet... My apologies...

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
I hate to rain on the Xoom lovefest going on here, but I have to throw in my two cents. I got the xoom on launch day and ended up returning it mostly because it felt laggy and the screen really bothered me. I too have an epic and have grown accustomed to its gorgeous screen. The zoom is literally unusable outside and the quality of its LCD quite frankly sucks. Before you make your decision I would HIGHLY recommend going to the store and playing with both tablets once the playbook comes out. I wish I would have played with the xoom before I picked it up, woulda saved me 80 dollars.
So Which would you suggest? I went to Best Buy today to go hands on with the Xoom and as I would have to do some learning of the new toy, I liked it... Hey, there's always APPLE! lol

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
There are many reviews out there.

There are many tablets on the Horizon.

I waited too long to order an iPad2, and went with the Xoom wi-fi on launch day. No camping out, no long lines, simple went to a Best Buy and played with the verizon Model and asked if the wi-fi only was available.

Since I bought it in the afternoon, I decided to let it fully charge overnight and started using it the next day after work. I couldn't put the thing down! Some keep talking about the lack of apps, but I have loaded all/most the apps I have on my EVO and then some on this device. I use FB and surf the web a great deal, and being able to use a tablet instead of my laptop or desktop is pure heaven. For all the talk of the device crashing, it has not crashed on me once in almost 3 weeks of use. I have the Amazon Adroid APP and was able to sync my apps to my tablet.

Wanted to add many cite the lack of flash. That has been updated.

Flash sites aren't always slow.

The SD Card "fix" is out there and an official update soon.

My only real complaint is the charging port. Motorola could have saved money with a USB charging port (like most other devices).

I came from a BB 8330 that crashed frequently (was told 3 email accounts was excessive for the device). Having 2 android devices makes it EASIER to understand and operate!
My Dell laptop is 3.5 years old and the tablet seems a bit faster than the laptop.

I installed the Pocketcloud App on my tablet and a desktop and can now remotelty access my home computer. This will come in handy while travelling. I am looking forward to my first airplane trip with my XOOM and without my laptop this weekend.

If possible, buy it from a place with a 30 or 90 day exchange policy (costco). Plus Costco has a free gel skin included.

I am looking for a good quality leather or other material case for it. I'm not spending $100 on a case though. One of my pet peaves about my EVO is the lack of accessories. I bought the Seidio Case, but since I have an extended battery now, the case sets on the table with the stock battery. Not many cases for XOOM (yet).
http://http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=xoom+cases&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

Ebay has maaaaany cases, leather also. and Thanks so much for the input!

Montigo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Ummmmm

In my skimming through the pages I didn't see if you mentioned what version of the XOOM you were planning on getting...Wi-Fi or the Verizon model.

I ask because if you were planning on going with the carrier model you should also consider the LG G-Slate from T-Mo which is rumored to be released on the 20th. It also comes with HC and most of the specs are comparable to the XOOM, but the 8.9 inch might provide more portabilty....if even a tiny bit more.

Just my humble opinion.

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Scroat, ahhh I should have known that it would take the one person to be a J*rk! Thanks.... Actually I was at work, typing fast between post, and yes I type fast which spelling errors do occur. I also have a slight Dyslexia which I spell words and put the letters in the wrong spot.

IDK what Scroat means, but it sounds like it probably fits you well!

Some people are just prone to add their 2 cents and say something smart azz!

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
In my skimming through the pages I didn't see if you mentioned what version of the XOOM you were planning on getting...Wi-Fi or the Verizon model.

I ask because if you were planning on going with the carrier model you should also consider the LG G-Slate from T-Mo which is rumored to be released on the 20th. It also comes with HC and most of the specs are comparable to the XOOM, but the 8.9 inch might provide more portabilty....if even a tiny bit more.

Just my humble opinion.
MontigoTMR, I threw in there, in one of my replies, that I am going activate my Epic's Tethering feature full time so the Wifi Xoom is the one i'll be going for. Most place that I frequent have WiFi, so I will only have to use my phones if and when I am out and about. I think that's manageable for myself.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I only skimmed these posts and maybe passed over it, but the bezel on the Playbook is huge. It's a gigantic amount of wasted space and is a huge turn off for me. I hear people post of Xoom slowness and lag. I'm not sure what they installed or if they got a dud unit, because mine is quite snappy (and I had a 64G ipad before this to compare it with). It undoubtedly has its quirks and hangups now and then, but all that will be going away.... early Android phones (and even new releases) were the same way as software developers caught up.

It's all personal taste. They'll all do the basics (web surfing, etc) very well. It's just a matter of how much customization you want to be able to do and if any one system has a killer app you absolutely can't live without.

JerzieBarbie

Oct 8, 2010
www.facebook.com
Thanks Gregg37 for your post. I must agree with you. I said it earlier that all new phones, devices, OS's... they will all have their quirks initially.... and updates and fixes will come...

The one things that ruffles my feathers is that they get outdated so quickly... I've been waiting for the release of the Playbook, hoping the 10inch would drop b4 the 7 inch. Then I heard about the Xoom and did some research on it and changed my mind. Now if something I love more drops, I have to sell my Xoom and upgrade. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia