MrMobile kind of reviewed and preferred the Honor 8!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

The Honor 8 part starts at 4:45 but the whole video is great. Note that this isn't an actual review, but towards the end, he did say that between the Honor 8, ZTE Axon 7, and Alcatel Idol 4s, he prefers the Honor 8. Including the OnePlus 3 and Moto Z Play, he gives the nod to the OnePlus 3.

Edit: And the blog post: http://www.androidcentral.com/mrmobiles-400-android-showdown

Last edited:

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry can't Buy OnePlus... their marketing annoys me.

Their software support annoys me. Same goes for moto. Totally would have gotten a z play if they hadn't left me in the dust these past 2 years.

ZTE has other problems. Really no down sides, IMO, with Honor.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Have to say software can be considered a downside for the Honor 8. With EMUI 5 that will likely change but for now it takes a lot of getting used to its quirks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Their software support annoys me. Same goes for moto. Totally would have gotten a z play if they hadn't left me in the dust these past 2 years.

ZTE has other problems. Really no down sides, IMO, with Honor.

Yeah I totally understand. They renedged on multiple devices like the droid mini which i bought for$8 no contract some time ago or the moto e 2015 which i paid$10 for a while back. I told myself that I wouldn't get another moto phone but saw the moto z play for$20 and couldn't resist. All prices after promotions but no service contract. I hope that Honor would do carrier phones in the future ... I know that I am in the minority but I like carrier deals

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with most of MrMobile's points in the video above after having used the Honor 8 for some time now. It's a solid device no doubt. And for the price, you really can't go wrong.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Have to say software can be considered a downside for the Honor 8. With EMUI 5 that will likely change but for now it takes a lot of getting used to its quirks

How annoying is EMUI if one uses Nova Launcher Prime? I always use Nova Launcher Prime, even on my stock Android devices.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
How annoying is EMUI if one uses Nova Launcher Prime? I always use Nova Launcher Prime, even on my stock Android devices.

With Nova prime or action launcher... EMUI is awesome. You can customize everything (custom nav bar, dark themes, etc.) right out of the box. The notification panel isn't set up ideally if you're used to stock android (as I was)... but it really isn't bad or annoying... totally usable. The built in software and hardware features are a huge selling point with EMUI.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site

Have had the H8 since they were available and have not found any quirks. Just yesterday I downloaded an update that fixed several software problems. So far the support has been great. Gee whiz - - I have actually been able to get customer staff on the phone to discuss a question I had. Try that with HTC - - I have and it was awful.

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Based on others' opinions, I thought EMUI was going to be terrible, but I actually like it. I normally use Nova, but I'm going with EMUI for now. The only thing I miss is an app drawer (which the lack of is a big con) and double tap to sleep. I've enjoyed tinkering with the many customizations in EMUI. I wish themes were easier to download, but I've had fun with the few themes I've found.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
With Nova prime or action launcher... EMUI is awesome. You can customize everything (custom nav bar, dark themes, etc.) right out of the box. The notification panel isn't set up ideally if you're used to stock android (as I was)... but it really isn't bad or annoying... totally usable. The built in software and hardware features are a huge selling point with EMUI.

Based on others' opinions, I thought EMUI was going to be terrible, but I actually like it. I normally use Nova, but I'm going with EMUI for now. The only thing I miss is an app drawer (which the lack of is a big con) and double tap to sleep. I've enjoyed tinkering with the many customizations in EMUI. I wish themes were easier to download, but I've had fun with the few themes I've found.

I agree with both of you. I really like how much you can change. I am amazed that even just changing the font feels like a difference. It's pretty cool. It's not even bad like people have said. I have the stock launcher because I like it too lol. Also the hiding of apps is something I really like. The fact that I can hide all of the uglies (apps I never use) is awesome.

Also +1 to Honor for allowing us to remove most of the preloaded apps. The ones I don't use, I can hide and never see unless it has to be updated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like it much when I had the 5x but now that i have been using the 7 plus for a bit now then it might feel more natural.