My fear of the V20

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I really want to get the V20 but the Pixel XL is slowly pulling me away. Coming from an S7 edge, battery life will probably be terrible compared to, also the V20 doesn't have an amoled screen which i'm really disappointed about, also the camera isn't the best.

My fears of the V20 are the screen on time against bigger battery phones like Pixel XL and S7 edge, it's color accuracy (since colors are really accurate on S7 display on basic mode) and I really hope V20 won't have the boot loop issues from other LG phones.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are not an audiophile, or do not need a lot of media stored (sd card), the Pixel seems perhaps the better option for you. I would take the V20, since like the extra storage (I have a 256GB card) and after the Note 7- Probably will avoid sealed battery phones as long as possible.

I doubt the V20 will have boot loop issues. Surely they learned from previous issues and no more fried boards. Kind of like the Xbox 360.

Camera is pretty darn good, so not sure on concern there.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So what if the camera isn't the best, does that mean it's going to be a bad camera? Of course not. The camera on today's flagship phones are so close in quality that most people won't notice one from the other. Unless they plan to print them at large sizes, it just frankly doesn't matter at this point that one has a touch more noise at the pixel level than another.

Not to mention most camera review tests are pretty subjective and can be manipulated even when using auto mode. Once you get into using the manual controls (which LG does an excellent job with), all bets are off. So yeah, don't concern yourself with the camera and reviews calling it bad.

For the screen, that's mostly going to depend on your personal preferences. I thought the N7 screen was ok, but I still preferred my G4 LCD in terms of color accuracy. I've heard a lot of people on here that played around with demo V20's that sounded quite impressed with its screen, so I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Battery, I've been burned twice by non-removable batteries. Figuratively speaking, that is. Well, three times now if you count the N7 that was asymptomatic but returned anyway during the first recall. From now on, any phone I get will have to have a removable battery. SOT be darned! With quick charging and aftermarket extended batteries, I'm not concerned in the least about stock battery life. I realize I may be in the minority, but I've had nothing but problems with sealed batteries and they will have to drag me kicking and screaming back into them.

The bootloop issue is a slight concern. Hopefully they have things figured out, but I think phones are becoming too fragile in general. At this point I pretty much assume all new models will have a risk of design flaw, so it's a matter of pick your poison.

Sorry this turned into something of a rant, but it's perhaps a new perspective if nothing else for you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Pixel offers little to me except speed and smooth operation. People tell me v10 is fast so i expect v20 to be.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've said this before, the camera, I'm confident, will be more than good enough for almost all shots. If I need my dSLR, no phone camera is gonna change that, I think. I feel like all the flagship cameras have gotten good enough that the differences wouldn't be to important to me.

Battery life? 2nd phone for that. Might not be the smartest but I like to use different phones and that's just another reason to.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The only issue with LG is that they had a (unfair?) reputation for low build quality. If the V20 can avoid that with this release then it'll be a winner.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The camera is slow on V20, that will be one gripe I have. Whereas, the Pixel phone has zero shutter lag, even on HDR+ settings.

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Coming from my most recent phone, the S7 Active, I'm already expecting a huge drop in battery life. :)

Pixel XL looks like a nice phone for somebody whose always wanted an iPhone running Android. So it meets half of my requirements; latest android. The other half being interesting hardware, which it clearly lacks. I'd probably fall asleep looking at it every day and/or get annoyed at everybody asking me why I switched to iPhone.

Nothing wrong with iPhone/Pixel XL. They just remind me more of an appliance that "works," versus interesting new tech with cool features and functionality.

That's where LG V20 naturally comes in. High quality DAC, dual cameras, improved audio, and many more I won't list here. Needless to say, that's why I stick with Android.
And when it comes to dropping down this kind of money on a smartphone, it had better deliver. There's too many cheaper alternatives to make big compromises.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are not an audiophile, or do not need a lot of media stored (sd card), the Pixel seems perhaps the better option for you. I would take the V20, since like the extra storage (I have a 256GB card) and after the Note 7- Probably will avoid sealed battery phones as long as possible.

I doubt the V20 will have boot loop issues. Surely they learned from previous issues and no more fried boards. Kind of like the Xbox 360.

Camera is pretty darn good, so not sure on concern there.
I like the ir blaster. It's actually more important to me than sd card.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Camera isn't the best? My v10, last years model runs circles around a lot of phone cameras that are out. Lol my brother makes me use my phone I stead of his iPhone 6 plus when we are out with the family.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I will avoid buying any phone that doesn't have a user-replaceable battery, I've had my Note 4 for two years and have had to replace the battery three times, I just use the thing that much and the batteries simply reached the end of their charge/discharge cycle life. The V20 is the only viable alternative right now, I'll be getting one as quickly as they're available.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I will avoid buying any phone that doesn't have a user-replaceable battery, I've had my Note 4 for two years and have had to replace the battery three times, I just use the thing that much and the batteries simply reached the end of their charge/discharge cycle life. The V20 is the only viable alternative right now, I'll be getting one as quickly as they're available.
I've done the same with my Note 3

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey man, I have those fears too. But Samsung phones can explode when using wireless charger. Samsung phones can get AMOLED screen burn-in. Samsung phone's waterproof feature can possibly fail. I'm coming from using Samsung, using it for 4 years but now I'm switching to LG. I believe they fixed that bootloop issue, it was in the same board chip they used in the G4 and V10. I've heard a user getting really good screen on time and battery. Android nougget really helps and the 820 processor is more efficient. You won't believe how fast USB 3.0 quick charge is. It blows Samsung's 2.0 quick charge out the water. And also with removable battery, you can have batteries precharged and swapped in an instant. LG's quantum IPS LCD is incredibly impressive, though it'll never look good as AMOLED. However, I highly prefer the sharpness and white colors on IPS panels, they look more clear (coming from a Samsung user since the S2).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool