My phone feels not as snappy as when I initially set it up. Why?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty well versed with my phone and the settings in it. I have an Samsung A6 SM-A600A. It's unlocked from my carrier. I'm here in the US.

I'm using 78% of my internal storage. That's 25.12 GB / 32.00 GB.

I am running the Super NOVA Prime launcher instead of the stock one.

I'm a little on the minimalistic side, so I've turned off ALL the animations, etc. I like phones to be snappy and fast when opening applications, etc.

Even though I've done all that, it seems the Android OS lags or stutters when opening some applications, or other native tasks for the first time. It could be, the browser, Android Auto, text message, or really any app.

It's really been frustrating since I got this phone new (I can't return it now) and I set it up as a new phone.

The phone of course works very well when it's fresh and has virtually no apps on it. These problems only happen after I get all my downloaded apps set up.

1. I'm wondering if some of my problems are from I am using most of my internal storage space?

2. Is the processor just so inferior that this is just how these phones perform?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm pretty well versed with my phone and the settings in it. I have an Samsung A6 SM-A600A. It's unlocked from my carrier. I'm here in the US.

I'm using 78% of my internal storage. That's 25.12 GB / 32.00 GB.

I am running the Super NOVA Prime launcher instead of the stock one.

I'm a little on the minimalistic side, so I've turned off ALL the animations, etc. I like phones to be snappy and fast when opening applications, etc.

Even though I've done all that, it seems the Android OS lags or stutters when opening some applications, or other native tasks for the first time. It could be, the browser, Android Auto, text message, or really any app.

It's really been frustrating since I got this phone new (I can't return it now) and I set it up as a new phone.

The phone of course works very well when it's fresh and has virtually no apps on it. These problems only happen after I get all my downloaded apps set up.

1. I'm wondering if some of my problems are from I am using most of my internal storage space?

2. Is the processor just so inferior that this is just how these phones perform?
I think you have a combination of both the chip it uses and the storage being close 80 percent . I try getting that down a little the storage. Also can try clearing cache in recovery.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I think you have a combination of both the chip it uses and the storage being close 80 percent . I try getting that down a little the storage. Also can try clearing cache in recovery.

I did what you suggested. I erased the cache. I removed apps and now I'm at 64% storage usage.

I'm still experiencing issues. The Firefox browser just is acting sloppy when I'm trying to type a response here. The keyboard didn't immediately open, the text message was hanging a little while I was typing.

I have no problem upgrading my phone, I was just hoping to have a fast phone without owning a flagship model. I do still own my S9, but it needs a few repairs, so that's why I'm trying to improve this phone

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
The same thing happens with PCs, you fill them up and the wheels will fall off. That poor chip is running like a maniac trying to read an almost full drive coupled with it being an older device possibly running newer apps that are more processor and RAM dependent, means it will lag.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did what you suggested. I erased the cache. I removed apps and now I'm at 64% storage usage.

I'm still experiencing issues. The Firefox browser just is acting sloppy when I'm trying to type a response here. The keyboard didn't immediately open, the text message was hanging a little while I was typing.

I have no problem upgrading my phone, I was just hoping to have a fast phone without owning a flagship model. I do still own my S9, but it needs a few repairs, so that's why I'm trying to improve this phone
How about other applications or apps same ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

First, Firefox has gotten a little memory-hoggish. Nightly is still faster than the stable version.

Second - are you using the Home button to "end" apps? That doesn't end them, it just runs Nova, leaving the app you were using still running in RAM, so Android has to first kill that app, then probably a few others as Firefox eats more and more RAM. (I'm typing this in Nightly - the newest stable still sometimes hangs for minutes - in a desktop with more than enough RAM to handle it.) Use the Back button to actually closeapps when you're finished with them. (And wiping them from Recents clears a little bit more.)

But the slower CPU also slows things down a bit.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
First, Firefox has gotten a little memory-hoggish. Nightly is still faster than the stable version.

Second - are you using the Home button to "end" apps? That doesn't end them, it just runs Nova, leaving the app you were using still running in RAM, so Android has to first kill that app, then probably a few others as Firefox eats more and more RAM. (I'm typing this in Nightly - the newest stable still sometimes hangs for minutes - in a desktop with more than enough RAM to handle it.) Use the Back button to actually closeapps when you're finished with them. (And wiping them from Recents clears a little bit more.)

But the slower CPU also slows things down a bit.

I use the "Back" button to actively close apps when I'm not using them. I'm a little OCD about it and rarely leave anything open.

I'll switch to Nightly now.

Is the Samsung S9 one of the fastest phones on the market currently? I can't find an answer to that specific question online.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the Samsung S9 one of the fastest phones on the market currently? I can't find an answer to that specific question online.

That depends on many variables. Even the fastest phone from a raw performance standpoint can lag with poorly coded OS and apps. I'm on a V20, no longer the fastest specs by far, but it's still snappy.

For your original issue, you may want to start over and install apps one at a time. Use the phone a bit before installing the next, and see if you can find a specific app that's misbehaving.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
For your original issue, you may want to start over and install apps one at a time. Use the phone a bit before installing the next, and see if you can find a specific app that's misbehaving.

That's going to take a while to deduce. I have a lot of apps on the phone. I did get my storage down to 60% though and I tried to only have the necessary apps installed.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, here's what I did.

1. I turned on Safe Mode and opened and then closed each app that was available in my apps list. They all seemed pretty fluid and fast. Safe Mode also forces me to use the OEM Launcher.

2. I quickly turned off Safe Mode and tried the same apps while trying to see if there was any difference. It was almost night and day. I noticed a worse difference when I restarted to turn off Safe Mode.

3. I tried opening the apps again, but this time I left Safe Mode off and changed all the Developer Option animation values to .5%. IE: Window, Transition, Animator. I also changed the the Nova Animation speed to "Nova".

After doing that, I noticed things seemed little bit more "normal", but quick. It seems pretty hard to tell the difference between now and safe mode. I guess that's a good thing.

One thing I do notice, swiping apps up to close is no longer explosively fast as it used to be. That may be something I just have to live with.
Maybe this was my problem all along?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, here's what I did.

1. I turned on Safe Mode and opened and then closed each app that was available in my apps list. They all seemed pretty fluid and fast. Safe Mode also forces me to use the OEM Launcher.

2. I quickly turned off Safe Mode and tried the same apps while trying to see if there was any difference. It was almost night and day. I noticed a worse difference when I restarted to turn off Safe Mode.

3. I tried opening the apps again, but this time I left Safe Mode off and changed all the Developer Option animation values to .5%. IE: Window, Transition, Animator. I also changed the the Nova Animation speed to "Nova".

After doing that, I noticed things seemed little bit more "normal", but quick. It seems pretty hard to tell the difference between now and safe mode. I guess that's a good thing.

One thing I do notice, swiping apps up to close is no longer explosively fast as it used to be. That may be something I just have to live with.
Maybe this was my problem all along?
Maybe try the stock launcher , did you opt in on beta for Nova launcher ?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
My mistake. I read that as the Firefox beta. No, I don't believe I'm enrolled in it.

I just timed how long it takes to open the Dunkin app. The first time was .70 sec. Second time was bout 1.40 seconds. Third time was about 3.50 seconds. That's the inconsistency that really frustrates me with this phone. And this happens on more than several apps.

I did these tests on the stock launcher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My mistake. I read that as the Firefox beta. No, I don't believe I'm enrolled in it.

I just timed how long it takes to open the Dunkin app. The first time was .70 sec. Second time was bout 1.40 seconds. Third time was about 3.50 seconds. That's the inconsistency that really frustrates me with this phone. And this happens on more than several apps.
Try for curiosity the stock launcher

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz