My phone gets hot while wirelessly charging

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a LG G3 and have charged it with a Qi charger for a couple years without issues. I recently bought a wireless charger / phone cradle for my car. I am having problems with the phone overheating. Especially when I am using navigation.

When the phone is in the cradle and charging it gets noticeably warm to hot. I had a couple of occasions while using navigation where I got a warning that the phone was overheating. Something I had never seen before.

This is a Quick Charge wireless charger / phone cradle and I have a Quick Charge 3.0 socket in my car supplying the power. The power supply has never been a problem charging before getting the cradle.

The weird thing is even with the phone getting really hot while charging it does not charge well at all. In fact, the battery is actually in discharge while I am using navigation.

Everything leads me to something wrong with the wireless charging function of the cradle. I love this phone cradle, but as a charger I cannot use it if it will ruin my phone.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Charging of any type generates heat. When using navigation, the phone is working hard to maintain GPS connections which can drain batteries quite quickly as well as generate heat. Add another source of heat (charging) and the phone is going to get very hot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Also keep in mind that a phone in a car mount is typically exposed to direct sunlight. During warm months, this can lead to the phone getting dangerously hot. A hot battery does not work well, which would partially explain why it doesn't seem to charge well. In addition, if your wireless charger is charging at a relatively slow rate, the rate of battery use by the phone's apps could be outstripping the charging rate.

Most importantly, a phone that is heating up so much that it's giving you warnings is a potential fire or explosion hazard, so if this happens a lot, stop using it that way until you've figured out the problem.