My real expence with Note 5

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

If anyone seen my previous post I told that I knew someone who works at Samsung marketing department. Also my wife's friend is working on a factory in South Korea where as she said 10,000 notes 5 produced per day. Don't worry this is for US/SK market only, there is another factory in Vietnam.

Anyway I have managed to get some hands on time in a quiet place with an actual phone. I will not refer to names or anything specific, as the person who gave me a phone for a couple of minutes to play will get sacked. I asked as many questions as I could not all got answered.

So the note I had a chance to play with was white color, the design looks exactly like on those renders, front looks a lot like note 4 but uses same gorilla class as S6. I was told unlocked models will be sold in white and black, with US also getting gold color and as before some carriers will get exclusive colors.
The back of the phone is curved on the sides and feels very comfortable to hold. Some said it is like a S6 edge but with curves at the back panel, well it isn't its much more curved than that phone. Anyway, both sides are glass, no way to take back cover off battery is non-removable.
There isn't a SD card slot either anywhere on the phone. I asked if different region will have different storage options, got no answer. I live in South-East Asia so this is what we will get. Nobody mentioned anything above 32GB internal storage, I don't mind not having SD card (as I didn't use it since S1) BUT I need at least 64GB option. For now they said it will be 32, maybe carriers will get 64 and above.
The screen is as on note 4, but a bit brighter and more vivid, I was told the size is 5.7" QHD resolution. The stylus is still popping out using finger it can also be unlocked by pushing the stylus inward it just pops out. Which is nice for those who have no nails lol like me:) I have not had a chance to play too much with Note 4 as my last note was 2. Since the time was limited, I was told Stylus is new and much improved for better accuracy and better grip also saving a bit of space.
The phone is running Android 5.1 Lollipop, with touch wiz that has been cleaned up as in S6 with some extra new apps and features specific to the note series.

Now, I have decided to skip S6 for this phone and wait for note, now I feel disappointed as this seems to be a design upgrade more than anything else. All those rumours about specs were way off. Here is why:
I don't care about battery and SD, this phone supports quickcharge as well as wireless charging.
1. This phone is running the same CPU as galaxy S6. Note has always pushed to be more powerful. 7420 is the CPU that is powering note 5 not 7422 we all waited for. I WASNT ABLE TO VERIFY THIS AS I COULDNT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE, BUT was told by person who was sitting with me and the phone. I hope it is not true, Why am I upset about this? Well apart from 7422 having much better performance with ALL in one chip.It allows for 40% space savings to put bigger battery. Which brings me to Number 2.
2. Battery size, we all heard rumours of 4100 Mah battery. BS, I was not told exact size but was said it is smaller than 3,500 mAh. I expect it to be either same as note 4 or maybe 3,300 max.
3. Available storage on 32 GB was 23 GB.

Other than that, it spots 4 GB of RAM.

I don't know it is a mix bag, I love the design but this feels rushed specs wise. Having more time would allow them to create a beast of a phone. I might end up buying it anyway as there isn't anything on the market that is better.

Last edited:

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

The more I read about the leaks and rumours the more I am leaning to shying away from this phone. I am due for an upgrade and was 100% certain it would have been the Note 5 but now I am not so sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 4 would still be great if released today :) For folks with older Notes that value the battery and the sd slot, might want to get a Note 4 while you can get a new one. Samsung will not want the Note 4 eating into their sales projections or economy of scale leverage for their own chip fabrication. The more Note 5's they sell, the better off their return on investment for all the fabrication capacity they have added in the last few years.

I think the Note 5 is going to not do as well as the Note 4 and will be interesting to see what pans out.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
sup3r1or, thanks for the report. For me it's more evidence that confirms my decision to forgo the Note 5 as at best it's just a side upgrade to the Note 4 (which I currently have). In reality though since I highly value a user-replaceable battery and like the SD card option (although I don't currently use it) it's actually a downgrade! Can only hope Samsung comes back to their senses with the Note 6!

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
We have a huge sale here in Thailand, Note 4 is currently reduced by 150 dollars for unlocked version. With 1 year contract can dip as low as 450 dollars.

I plan to keep a phone for next 2 years, my last 3 phones were Ipone 4s, HTC One M7 (that was really drove me insane 6 months in repair) and Nokia 930.

If note in fact will run 7422 chip and will have 64 GB option I will buy it. I'm not sure of battery life I only had 10-15 minutes to play around with it, I would blame Android lollipop for bad battery rather than Samsung. US versions tend to have better versions than Asian ones running Exynos. I cant be asked to upgrade to Note 4 as it is already a year old, I know it is still powerful phone but if I plan to keep it for 2 years then 5 is the only option. There isnt anything else out there that will be better, and nothing will come with Stylus.

P>S Forgot the most important bit, rumors circulating that it will launch around 30,000 bht for 32 GB model, this is more than 100 dollars more than original Note 4 launch price. If that is the case Im not sure it is worth that much money, SAmsung aint apple to get away with charging 900-1000 us dollars for a phone.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
We have a huge sale here in Thailand, Note 4 is currently reduced by 150 dollars for unlocked version. With 1 year contract can dip as low as 450 dollars.

I plan to keep a phone for next 2 years, my last 3 phones were Ipone 4s, HTC One M7 (that was really drove me insane 6 months in repair) and Nokia 930.

If note in fact will run 7422 chip and will have 64 GB option I will buy it. I'm not sure of battery life I only had 10-15 minutes to play around with it, I would blame Android lollipop for bad battery rather than Samsung. US versions tend to have better versions than Asian ones running Exynos. I cant be asked to upgrade to Note 4 as it is already a year old, I know it is still powerful phone but if I plan to keep it for 2 years then 5 is the only option. There isnt anything else out there that will be better, and nothing will come with Stylus.

P>S Forgot the most important bit, rumors circulating that it will launch around 30,000 bht for 32 GB model, this is more than 100 dollars more than original Note 4 launch price. If that is the case Im not sure it is worth that much money, SAmsung aint apple to get away with charging 900-1000 us dollars for a phone.

Thank you for your input and evaluation. If you get a chance to pick one up again, would you pls try the GPS? Lets see how it works.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 would still be great if released today :) For folks with older Notes that value the battery and the sd slot, might want to get a Note 4 while you can get a new one. Samsung will not want the Note 4 eating into their sales projections or economy of scale leverage for their own chip fabrication. The more Note 5's they sell, the better off their return on investment for all the fabrication capacity they have added in the last few years.

I think the Note 5 is going to not do as well as the Note 4 and will be interesting to see what pans out.
I very much agree. My wild guess is that Note 5 will sell at about 50% of Note 4.
Note Users are Power Users who use their Phone as Pocket Laptop and do NOT want to search the "Cloud" for important Files.
They also do NOT want personal info and Files stored Online on a Server they have no control over.
SD Card is for Storage and easy Back Up AND allows working OFFLINE.
Bye to all this. The Note 5 is a larger S6.
The S6 Edge Plus is a larger S6.
The A8 is a larger S6 downgraded.
Rather than retain ONE PREMIUM MODEL or two with SD Card they killed it.
Samsung should have had a true full featured Note 5 and a Note 5 Compact (5.1" but full power and SD Card etc at 8 mm thick with 3500 mah Battery like S6 Active) and
NOTE 5 needs larger Battery 3800 to 4000 Mah with ePOP
and SD Support !

These two Models would compete with iPhone 6S and
iPhone 6S Plus and have advantages.
The new iPhone 6S Models will have a superior Camera and Samsung threw away two main features and angered their Customer Base.
Samsung= Great Engineering
but bad Marketing.
Many high end Models NONE with SD Card and removable Battery.
Only ONE with large Battery S6 Active with AT&T Exclusive and awkward push buttons.
Note 5 sales 50% of Note 4, people fired at Samsung.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Now, I have decided to skip S6 for this phone and wait for note, now I feel disappointed as this seems to be a design upgrade more than anything else. All those rumours about specs were way off. Here is why:
I don't care about battery and SD, this phone supports quickcharge as well as wireless charging.
1. This phone is running the same CPU as galaxy S6. Note has always pushed to be more powerful. 7420 is the CPU that is powering note 5 not 7422 we all waited for. I WASNT ABLE TO VERIFY THIS AS I COULDNT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE, BUT was told by person who was sitting with me and the phone. I hope it is not true, Why am I upset about this? Well apart from 7422 having much better performance with ALL in one chip.It allows for 40% space savings to put bigger battery. Which brings me to Number 2.
2. Battery size, we all heard rumours of 4100 Mah battery. BS, I was not told exact size but was said it is smaller than 3,500 mAh. I expect it to be either same as note 4 or maybe 3,300 max.
3. Available storage on 32 GB was 23 GB.

Other than that, it spots 4 GB of RAM.

I don't know it is a mix bag, I love the design but this feels rushed specs wise. Having more time would allow them to create a beast of a phone. I might end up buying it anyway as there isn't anything on the market that is better.

Some slightly disappointing news, but in Samsung's defense

1. The Exynos 7420 is still much better than Qualcomm and other chips out now, so is it really such a bad thing? The S6 has been running well with it
2. I do wish the battery was 4000+, but this is how I see it...if the S6 can last a full day with the Exynos 7240 and only 2300mah, then if this has 3000+ with the same chip, then it has to last at least twice as long
3. No surprise and not many phones come with the true amount, but I'm sure there will be higher models

Also, isn't the U.S. versions of the phone different than the Asian version of the phones in terms of some specs and hardware?

Either way, the main reason I am getting this phone is because of the bigger battery. I still want my S6 features such as the camera, but if this has a bigger battery and 4GB of ram I am all in. I probably wont make much use of the S-Pen though

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes the US models usually run on snapdragon and though might be the case with 810 v2.0 Asian models usually come with exynos CPU. Also heard reports us version on note 4 had better battery life. Though maybe they will shift completely to their CPU. I still have fingers crossed it is running 7422.
Power users make up small percent of customer base. They want those majority who buy phones based on looks and paper specs to make money. I hope they will succeed .
Don't worry knowing Samsung there will be some mini note eventually. It seems like every week new phone comes out.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The 7420 has no better power consumption than the 805 or 808. The biggest usage weight though is the display and Samsung does good with that part. Seem the Note 5 is a downgrade from the Note 4: Less storage, no battery options, same display res and tech and a chipset that is not a big enough improvement over the 805 to say THAT is the reason to upgrade.

The 4GB of ram is not really a plus due to the dynamic method Android treats ram. Android fills most of what you have up and offloads as needed. The only way 4GB would be an advantage is if you have very few apps. Folks still try to equate PC management of ram with Android. Not the same hardly at all. Android loads the core segment of an app and the relative data it "sees" as a trend of usage. Minimal advantage.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The 7420 has no better power consumption than the 805 or 808. The biggest usage weight though is the display and Samsung does good with that part. Seem the Note 5 is a downgrade from the Note 4: Less storage, no battery options, same display res and tech and a chipset that is not a big enough improvement over the 805 to say THAT is the reason to upgrade.

The 4GB of ram is not really a plus due to the dynamic method Android treats ram. Android fills most of what you have up and offloads as needed. The only way 4GB would be an advantage is if you have very few apps. Folks still try to equate PC management of ram with Android. Not the same hardly at all. Android loads the core segment of an app and the relative data it "sees" as a trend of usage. Minimal advantage.

Not Necessarily about the Ram
I have a device with 3GB of ram (S6) and a device with 4GB of ram (Asus Zenfone 2), and the difference in performance is quite noticeable. Yes its true they have different OS but you can tell the 4GB works much better especially when opening a bunch of apps. I use my Zenfone 2 mainly for games, and was able to run Tomb Raider and Asphalt with no lag at all. I doubt the S6 would run as smooth with the same apps.

As for the Qualcomm v. Exynos, the benchmarks show that the Exynos performs much better than Qualcomm. Qualcomm even has its own issues with overheating, which they may or may not have fixed.

I see it as an upgrade from the Note 4, even if not by much
- Better Camera (Same as S6, which performed better than the Note 4)
- Bigger Ram
- Likely longer battery life with the Exynos processor
- Likely enhanced S-Pen
- Exynos benchmarks much better than Qualcomm

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'm keeping my S6 active. I was toying with the notion of getting the Note 5, but forget that.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6 active

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I'm upgrading is because I'm with of WP 8.1 and my nokia 930 specially with battery life performance. S6 active is still a very new phone with bigger battery than S6 plus waterproof. I wonder why Samsung cant make S6 and Note 5 waterproof with design? Sony Xperia is always waterproof and design is not that far off .

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I'm upgrading is because I'm with of WP 8.1 and my nokia 930 specially with battery life performance. S6 active is still a very new phone with bigger battery than S6 plus waterproof. I wonder why Samsung cant make S6 and Note 5 waterproof with design? Sony Xperia is always waterproof and design is not that far off .

Yeah I agree. The thing I loved about the S5 was its water resistant feature.
I would consider the Xperia Z5 but my experience with Sony has not been the best

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
First, thank you for detailing your experience with the new phone. It’s great to get some hands-on info.

I must say that I am rather disappointed at the news of new SD card slot and battery issue. Some people may be ok with it and that is fine. We are all entitled to our wants/needs/opinions. I had really been looking forward to upgrading to the Note 5 however, Samsung’s decision to leave those 2 options out makes me feel like they’ve copied Apple in the sense of limiting a user’s functionality of the phone. If I wanted a phone with a limited/restricted amount of storage, I would be using an iPhone however, I’ve been there and done that and note going back. I hear way too many friends and family complain about running out of storage/sluggish phones/not being able to get the new iOS because of limited space.

My Note 4 functions just fine. My battery pretty much lasts all day even with my Bluetooth headphones and Moto360 connected. The screen is great and I honestly love being able to add more storage space to my phone for more apps, music, movies and pictures. For years, I have been a fan of Samsung’s mobile phones but their decisions with the Note 5 has me looking at other options when I do upgrade.

Thanks again!

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone I think I have some bad news.

Engadget just posted a high quality leak and in there it says THE BATTERY IS 3,000 maH. I gave a friend a call and that seems to be pretty accurate. The more I see it the less I feel like buying it. I might as well go with S6 edge or Note 4.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone I think I have some bad news.

Engadget just posted a high quality leak and in there it says THE BATTERY IS 3,000 maH. I gave a friend a call and that seems to be pretty accurate. The more I see it the less I feel like buying it. I might as well go with S6 edge or Note 4.

Atleast wait for the reviews before you jump the gun
The battery life might actually be good, you never know