My reasons to go with G5 over S7edge

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot has been said about this phone and it has its problems, but i wanted to share why I went with it instead of the s7edge.

1. Removable battery - not so much because I can swap it, but because I can change it in a year. I am a heavy user with navigation, video streaming, music streaming a lot of actual talking on the phone. Untill now I had a note 4. I killed it's battery in about 9month. Meaning it would die super fast, and just shut down at 20%. Since new phones are plateauing in terms of camera, speed, and display, and general ui speed I wanted to have a phone for a longer period, but i can with a phone with a sealed battery. This was my main reason.

2. This is the best phone in terms of handling in my hand. Nothing else comes even close to being so comfortable, not wide or too long. My note 4 was to wide for me.

4. Fingerprint sensor on the back. This combined with knock on display is great. Set up the bluetooth in my car as trusted location and it is great.
5. Screen on buttons and smaller size of the screen, make this phone much easier just use it one handed. I hate the physical buttons on the note 4, handled the s7edge and it's basically the same travel for my fingers as the note 4 from top of the screen to the bottom.

1 for the s7edge is it is waterproof which I would love to have, but then the battery situation might not be possible.

Posted via the Android Central App

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If we all wanted the same phone, car, house or whatever else the world would be a boring place. Competition is what keeps these manufacturer's on their toes and striving to improve. I think it's great we have so many good choices based on our personal preferences.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot has been said about this phone and it has its problems, but i wanted to share why I went with it instead of the s7edge.
1 for the s7edge is it is waterproof which I would love to have, but then the battery situation might not be possible.

Technically the Edge is sold as water resistant not waterproof. The website even says water resistant. I know a lot of people tout is as waterproof but there is a difference. Water resistant means it will resist a splash but they won't guarantee against submersion.

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This might be true, but it is the only thing I find better in the edge than the g5

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Technically the Edge is sold as water resistant not waterproof. The website even says water resistant. I know a lot of people tout is as waterproof but there is a difference. Water resistant means it will resist a splash but they won't guarantee against submersion.

This is actually not true. When it comes to electronics, the two terms are interchangable. No electronic device is actually waterproof, but just varying in degrees of water resistance. The IP68 rating will also let you get away with some mild & brief submersion.

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My reasons are that I have previously owned and have been disappointed and am surrounded by samsung products all day long at work to know they are a weak overpriced overhyped poor quality product and that people in general (are dumb) and are extremely susceptible to marketing. I'd take the next best alternative to samsung any day.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My reasons are that I have previously owned and have been disappointed and am surrounded by samsung products all day long at work to know they are a weak overpriced overhyped poor quality product and that people in general (are dumb) and are extremely susceptible to marketing. I'd take the next best alternative to samsung any day.

I like my Samsung 4K tv....don't jinx me.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The wide angle camera on the G5 looks fun to use. That's also something the S7 doesn't have.

statsman42

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I got mine a few days ago for a lot of the same reasons listed in the OP. Feels great in hand (so good that I'm not looking forward to getting a case), not oversized, and I dig the wide camera and fun camera software features like triple shot.

The S7 is a great phone. I'm not a hater. But I am an LG loyalist at this point, i guess, and I'm not disappointed in my G5 at all.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Well it all depends ...for me I left samsung and went to lg for the 1st time for G4 and totally loved the device...I had switched from note 4...i always loved the edge phones by samsung...but s6 edge dint get me back...I was soo looking forward to G5 but was not that impressed by it and then the thing of modular design and wear n tear in the long run...S7 edge got back lot of features and iam love with it...just purchased the samsung S7 edge gold...everyone has positive to say about the phone...and G5 has mixed reviews...thou here in india samsung has better resale value than lg...soo if s7 edge doesn't keep me happy I will sell it and buy g5... Ps: G5 still not launched here in india... Will wait to see the pricing...

Posted via My Awesome Lumia 950 ds red and gold or LG G4 or surface pro 4

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it all depends ...for me I left samsung and went to lg for the 1st time for G4 and totally loved the device...I had switched from note 4...i always loved the edge phones by samsung...but s6 edge dint get me back...I was soo looking forward to G5 but was not that impressed by it and then the thing of modular design and wear n tear in the long run...S7 edge got back lot of features and iam love with it...just purchased the samsung S7 edge gold...everyone has positive to say about the phone...and G5 has mixed reviews...thou here in india samsung has better resale value than lg...soo if s7 edge doesn't keep me happy I will sell it and buy g5... Ps: G5 still not launched here in india... Will wait to see the pricing...

Not everyone has positive things to say about the edge

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Last I checked, "weak overpriced overhyped poor quality product" don't consistently get to be "best devices of the year" on many tech blogs.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If everyone went for the same phone, things would get boring fast. I never understood why people need to bash other brands to justify their choice. Most smartphones today are excellent. It's just a matter of taste.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I personally prefer LG over Samsung because they went software buttons and they try to be somewhat stock looking (which in the end doesn't matter as Nova takes care of that) and also it looks like software updating has been a little faster for them as well. Lastly sticking with a removable battery and micro sd card is awesome although Samsung brought it back (without adoptable storage on both which is a major bummer) and not to forget that I can't stand Samsung's Iphone home button either.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer LG over Samsung because they went software buttons and they try to be somewhat stock looking (which in the end doesn't matter as Nova takes care of that) and also it looks like software updating has been a little faster for them as well. Lastly sticking with a removable battery and micro sd card is awesome although Samsung brought it back (without adoptable storage on both which is a major bummer) and not to forget that I can't stand Samsung's Iphone home button either.

I just can't get over the edge to edge display it's so beautiful on the s7 edge and its predecessor..... But I do like the G5. But damn if the HTC M10 will be announced very soon LMAO

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The two reasons I'd never consider the S7 Edge are the rounded screen edges and the capacitive buttons.

The rounded edges means there's always two glare lines on the screen no matter which way you angle the phone. I can't see any feature or benefit of the rounded edges that balances out the glare.

The capacitive buttons are too close to the bottom of the phone, just like they were on my Galaxy S4. With the Galaxy S4, whenever I had the phone in landscape mode watching video, I had to be really careful how I held it because I kept hitting the back button and kicking it out of the video. The only safe place to rest your thumb was over the home button and your thumb slipped just a little bit, the back button was triggered. With on-screen buttons, not only is there a large empty bezel across the button where I can safely hold the phone in landscape, but the on-screen buttons are hidden during playback, requiring me to swipe them out before they can be pressed.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Guys off topic but this is crazy SOT how samung optimized its own exynos vs the SD 820

Last edited:

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed by tech reviews, on the G5, not because they are wrong, but because they are so one sided in their line of thinking.

I would like a comparison between an s7, iPhone 6, Nexus 6p and G5, but all of them in a case. Because that's 90% of how phones are used (if not more). Then all this bs about modular lines, or Antena lines, or glass back becomes irrelevant. And in these reviews there will be real value. I haven't seen the line on my G5 for more than 5min, because like most normal humans I put on a ******* case on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson