My Samsung Galaxy 8 Active quit showing my contact names

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Have a Samsung J3 2017 (SM327). About a week ago, noticed that incoming & outgoing calls going to/from someone in my Contacts only shows the number, not the Contact name, so I often have no idea who's calling me. But when I hang up and look in the Recent call log, the Contact name shows up correctly there. I have tried every permission, every setting possible. Spent an hour with an ATT tech - nothing. Did a factory restore - nothing. Took it to a Samsumg authorized serviced center and had it completely reflashed. Fixed the prob for 2 days, then reappeared. Any info?

Twleonard

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Re: Contact names not showing on dialer, but do show in Recents

is ATT Call Protect the same as AT&T Protect Plus?

No it is not the same as protect plus. I could not find it in my apps list even when I chose the show systems apps option. Had to go to the play store and search to see that ATT Call Protect was on my phone. I deleted the updates to the app from the play store and now my contacts are showing for phone calls. I think this is a way that ATT is trying to make us think that there is a problem with our phones so that we will buy new ones:(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Contact names not showing on dialer, but do show in Recents

I think this is a way that ATT is trying to make us think that there is a problem with our phones so that we will buy new ones:(

Nah, there's a much simpler explanation -- it's an incompatibility bug with Pie, because the Call Protect app developers were too lazy or mediocre to test it out when the Pie code became available to them.

syoude

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy 8 active quit showing my contact names.

I had the same problem. Happened randomly. Galaxy J7. I went into Settings...Apps...ATT Call Protect and hit Force Stop. This seems to have fixed it. For now...

Dratt

Apr 21, 2019
Visit site

The fix for this problem on ATT phones {cricket} is or (what worked for me) was mentioned in this thread

"Apparently this is the fix for ATT phones, on Settings, and Apps, "Force Stop" Att call protect"

BUT (force stop)only works for one call so you must (DISABLE) "call protect" and it won't be called (att call protect) it will just be "call protect" in APPS.

E1vm

Apr 21, 2019
Visit site
I have a galaxy S8 active. Whenever I receive a phone call only the phone number shows on the front screen. None of the contact information shows, name or photo. If I miss the call, both the name and photo will show up as a missed call. This just started yesterday. Can someone please help me fix this?

I forced stop an att app called att protect but I'm still having the same issues. No names next to my incoming or outgoing calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Did you only Force Stop it, or did you Disable it? As mentioned in the post just above yours, you have to Disable it.

malayah12345

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Have a Samsung J3 2017 (SM327). About a week ago, noticed that incoming & outgoing calls going to/from someone in my Contacts only shows the number, not the Contact name, so I often have no idea who's calling me. But when I hang up and look in the Recent call log, the Contact name shows up correctly there. I have tried every permission, every setting possible. Spent an hour with an ATT tech - nothing. Did a factory restore - nothing. Took it to a Samsumg authorized serviced center and had it completely reflashed. Fixed the prob for 2 days, then reappeared. Any info?

Someone posted that if your contact does not have a phone number assoicated with it then you need to go to more, settings and then phone and click that tab that says "hide contacts without phone numbers". I am a first time Android Samsung user - now for 3 months and its just yet another reason why it sucks. sorry

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! That's not the issue that's being discussed here. The problem is that incoming calls from a contact who is entered into the user's Contacts app (with both name and number) are being displayed in Caller ID with their number only, not their name (and it's due to the Call Protect app).

I'm not sure why it sucks to have the option to hide contacts that don't have a phone number. Are you saying it should be automatic? People often have contacts entered that don't have a phone number, but they may still want to see if the person is in their contacts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol