My Z3C Has Arrived - First Impressions (share yours as well)

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Great news on getting it resolved, that's definitely LTE speeds just odd it only shows 4G icon though.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I think it just depends on manufacturer. My g3 only says 4g as well but it's LTE. Glad this problem is solved!!!

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Great news on getting it resolved, that's definitely LTE speeds just odd it only shows 4G icon though.

It's not that odd to explain. Remember these phones are prepared with the European market in mind. Here in Europe, we don't refer to it as LTE, we refer to it as 4G. Yeah, there are several kinds of LTE within 4G. We just don't bother with them. For example, what now in the US is being called VoLTE, we'll just call it 4G all the same.

We're simplistic like that =P

(By the way, Nokia Networks has started testing 5G. I can't wait to see the mess it'll be in the US when carriers start inventing names lol)

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Received my Z3C on Friday. Spent a couple of days with it so far and here are my initial thoughts:

1) As compared to the Z1C, Sony has really refined the build on the Z3. It really is the same size with the .3 inch bigger screen. I really like the translucent plastic sides. The screen is much better with the removal of the anti shatter film. The device feels solid and looks really nice. I got the black.
2) I remember the Z1C screen being too small at the end of they day. The Z3C is not that much better. I am using it side by side with an Iphone 6 and its amazing how much smaller the screen feels even though they are about the same size. I was using the GS5 before this just so you have some perspective.
3) The phone is blazing fast. No lag at all. Makes the GS5 look silly in comparison.
4) Camera is ok so far. Takes a second to snap the picture. The GS5 was instant as is the Iphone 6. Pictures are very nice of course, just like the Z1C.
5) Battery life so far has been a little disappointing. I am not seeing epic longevity but I will give it a few charging cycles before I pass judgement on that.
6) I have been swapping my Iphone 6 nano sim back and forth and I have been getting "4G". The only issue is that the Z3C does not get the strongest signal. In weak signal area's the Iphone 6 is on LTE, the Z3C is getting H+. This is probably as much a result of the phone not being an ATT phone. When I first turned the phone on it downloaded ATT's network settiings.
7) The front facing speakers are a good try by Sony. They dont sound great though. In some games you get the stereo sound, but they still sound tiny and hollow. I give Sony credit though, I like the idea of putting them in front like HTC while keeping a slim bezel.

This is my android phone for the next year. I still love the form factor and the speed.

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks nyc! My main concern was speed and fluidity. Sounds like I won't be disappointed when mine arrives in a few days. Hope battery life pans out.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the phone number that you had your S4 on? The line needs to be provisioned(have a IMEI #) of a LTE phone AND a LTE SIM card. Now all their SIM cards are probably LTE now but I had to have them make a IMEI change when I switched from my N4 to the Moto X to get LTE to work. This was mentioned on XDA also today.

The S4 is an LTE device. I have often just popped my SIM into a new device (including the unlocked models that ATT did not have the IMEI's for) and it always worked. Just did it for an unlocked iPhone 6+ and it works fine.

Also had a Z2 and when I popped my SIM in it asked me which network to configure and ATT was one of the choices. It worked just fine on ATT.

EDIT: After reading the thread it seems like they are getting LTE speeds.

novahob

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got a black one here in the uk. Not had time to play with it yet apart from it feels quiet good in the hand. Coming from a S2 it does slightly wider but I'll get used to it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
(Good update, NYC_rock)

Now that I have gone over a day with the device, a few more thoughts:

* Device is just a tad thicker than I would like. Not a big deal, but it is amazing what a difference a fraction of a mm will make in your front pocket. Overall, however, I love the size of this device
* I have been amazed by the battery life. I used the device heavily yesterday, as I spent time setting the phone up, spoke with ATT on the phone for a good amount of time (see previous comments), and was in a place where cell reception wasn't great (this usually drains your battery fast) for several hours. I made it through the day with no issue, which is all I ask
*I couldn't agree more with NYC_rock regarding signal strength. I am getting one bar in my house, where I usually get 3 to 4 bars with my other LTE phones. It hasn't caused any issues yet
* I like Sony's Android configuration over Samsung's. Features such as screen recording are built in, where I had to root my S4 to get access to them. I feel that Sony has invested in helpful features (e.g., battery stamina) over gimics (e.g., Samsung's eye scrolling). It is nice to have a flashlight in the settings panel..finally
* The 720p screen is just fine for me. Zero complaints
* While I have used the camera, I have yet to analyze the results. I do feel that photo snapping speed is fine for my needs.
* No lag experienced
* I am getting used to the soft keys at the bottom faster than I expected. The extra step to go back when using the keyboard (i.e., minimize keyboard than hit the back button) is a bit annoying, but I'll get over it
* I feel that the "small apps" feature is a waste. I can't think of a useful need

Till next time

Posted via the Android Central App

novahob

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
First impressions in brief, are that so far no regrets. Only thing I'm struggling on is getting into the stock recovery

Sent from my Z3C

Danny Holyoake

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Having to return the phone this week, as gapless playback doesn't work. You'd think such a basic feature would work, but nope Sony some how managed to find a way to break it.

Disappointed, as I love everything else about this phone. :(

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
*I couldn't agree more with NYC_rock regarding signal strength. I am getting one bar in my house, where I usually get 3 to 4 bars with my other LTE phones. It hasn't caused any issues yet.

I wonder if the signal bars simply aren't displaying an accurate reading. The fact that you were in a location that didn't have a strong signal and your battery didn't severely drain may be an indicator of this.

I am happy to hear this, however, as my HTC One m7's battery simply can't cope with weak signals.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Having to return the phone this week, as gapless playback doesn't work. You'd think such a basic feature would work, but nope Sony some how managed to find a way to break it.

Disappointed, as I love everything else about this phone. :(
Why not just use PowerAmp for music playback?

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Z2 for months now and it has never showed strong signal strength in my apartment, where other phones have, yet I've never had trouble receiving or making calls. Z2 usually shows 1 bar compared to around 3 bars on other phones.

engineermoore

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The issue is that every company uses different scales. A "bar" isn't a standardised unit, Sony may be simply be using a different scale

Posted via the Android Central App

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
How is the ui? Nova Launcher worthy?

Posted via Android Central App

Nova launcher was my first install. I have to say, after being away from Sony's android skin for a while, I forgot how much I dislike it. It truly adds nothing to the android experience and in many ways, hinders it. Its not cartoony or resource intensive, like Samsung, but it gets in the way.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Nova launcher was my first install. I have to say, after being away from Sony's android skin for a while, I forgot how much I dislike it. It truly adds nothing to the android experience and in many ways, hinders it. Its not cartoony or resource intensive, like Samsung, but it gets in the way.
I figured that would be the move. This is why I love Android. Make it the way you want.

own_process

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been using my z3c for a few days now. I've switched over from an iPhone 5, purely as I was so underwhelmed by the 6. The waterproofing, battery life and PS4 remote play were the big selling points for me.

Thus far not disappointed with my choice at all. Battery life hasn't disappointed, which makes such a difference. Have used it for 2 days solid moderate usage and still have 22%.

Camera also great. A real smart looking phone as well imo. I'd recommend so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness