Need advice on what phone to keep

jordan1200

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

So here is my situation. I have 2 phones and can't decide what to keep. A little background info on how I ended up in this situation.
I had a Nexus 6P 64 Gig that I got new but not from a retailer. It was a prize to someone direct from Huawei Canada that gave it to me. When I acquired the phone Huawei USA said I could get 1 year warranty from July last year when the phone was awarded for one year provided I sent them the proof it was a prize. I did and they confirmed warranty for a year. Fast forward to this past January when the phone just shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I contacted Huawei and jumped through all the hoops to.get warranty including pay for shipping to.the service center here in Canada. As it turns out the main board was bad and then Huawei said they weren't going to cover it under warranty because it wasn't a retail purchase on-site of being told that they would and I had proof they said that in records found by Huawei USA staff. So after a couple of weeks with out a phone I broke down and bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. I decided to push Huawei one more time and Contacted Huawei Canada. They finally agreed to fix the phone under warranty so now I have two great phones however the Huawei only has a 90 warranty and the Samsung now has 11 months warranty. Both phones have pluses and minuses.
I don't want to be stuck with a phone issues I have to.pay for again if I have run out of warranty. The Nexus is reaching end of life in September 2017 and who.knows about the Samsung S7. The S7 only has Andriod 6.01 and the 6P Already has 7.1.1. I have no idea if the Samsung will ever get to that release with how slow updates come from Samsung and Roger's Canada.
Totally don't know what is the better choice. I do like the thought of customizing the phone when it is out of warranty with rooting or ROMS. They it another delema, what is best in that way??
Advice welcome and thanks.

Jordan1200

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

So here is my situation. I have 2 phones and can't decide what to keep. A little background info on how I ended up in this situation.
I had a Nexus 6P 64 Gig that I got new but not from a retailer. It was a prize to someone direct from Huawei Canada that gave it to me. When I acquired the phone Huawei USA said I could get 1 year warranty from July last year when the phone was awarded for one year provided I sent them the proof it was a prize. I did and they confirmed warranty for a year. Fast forward to this past January when the phone just shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I contacted Huawei and jumped through all the hoops to.get warranty including pay for shipping to.the service center here in Canada. As it turns out the main board was bad and then Huawei said they weren't going to cover it under warranty because it wasn't a retail purchase on-site of being told that they would and I had proof they said that in records found by Huawei USA staff. So after a couple of weeks with out a phone I broke down and bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. I decided to push Huawei one more time and Contacted Huawei Canada. They finally agreed to fix the phone under warranty so now I have two great phones however the Huawei only has a 90 warranty and the Samsung now has 11 months warranty. Both phones have pluses and minuses.
I don't want to be stuck with a phone issues I have to.pay for again if I have run out of warranty. The Nexus is reaching end of life in September 2017 and who.knows about the Samsung S7. The S7 only has Andriod 6.01 and the 6P Already has 7.1.1. I have no idea if the Samsung will ever get to that release with how slow updates come from Samsung and Roger's Canada.
Totally don't know what is the better choice. I do like the thought of customizing the phone when it is out of warranty with rooting or ROMS. They it another delema, what is best in that way??
Advice welcome and thanks.

Jordan1200

I say flip them both & get the Mate 9, P10 or see what else comes out in 2.5 weeks @ MWC :D

tattedup

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Based on the phones alone I prefer the 6P. The warranty wouldn't be a big concern for me. If I was in your shoes I too would sell them both and get a newer model, not a bad position to be in.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Sounds good except I need the money from the sale of one of them.

How important is Android 7 vs Android 6 to you? Do you find yourself using the new Android features & see the importance from that aspect?

I've read about some members being disappointed w/ the performance of the S7, surprisingly to me. I think that was in comparison to other flagships.

From a specs standpoint the S7 was the more recent release, has the better camera (but do you use the camera a lot though), newer processor & 1 more gb of ram vs the 6p. Also the Snapdragon 810 processor that the 6p is using has been known to have heating issues, though w/ the rave reviews the 6p has garnered I wouldn't worry about that as much. Some argue that the 6p was the best Android phone of 2015 & it has received a lot of praise. Also just because the S7 specs are better, what's on paper doesn't always translate.

Also which one do you enjoy playing w/ more, feels better? Which one do you find yourself reaching for?

You could always determine which apps each phone comes with & download the same exact apps for each phone afterward & see which one performs better. That might be overkill lol but considering you've had previous issues with your 6p it might just be worth it? That's what comes to my mind in regards to both devices.

TattedUp might have a better idea if he's used them both. I've only had experience w/ the 6p. I was trying my best not to biased since I only have experience w/ the 6p.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reflavius