Need opinions on If I should install Update 2.3.340?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I already posted something similar in the 2.3.340 discussion Sticky last week, but had no replies. I've had my X for a week now, It came with stock android 2.2 version 2.3.151, and have been getting update notifications since day two to update to 2.3.340.
I have not had any problems yet with my X so far, and everytime I get the new update message I hit install later. I've read some of the issues in the other Update Sticky about issues with the 2.3.340 update. I'm not sure exactly what the benefits of the update are, but I'm worried about having problems if I install it. I'm thinking maybe I should install it, just because I have 3 weeks left on my 30 days for a new phone, just in case I do start to have problems with it. I would just get another X if I did bring it back to VZW because of problems, I love the phone. I'm having a real dilemma deciding to install or not. I would appreciate any advice on whether or not to do it. Also if any of you who did install it, did you have any problems or no problems at all. Thanks, appreciate any opinions.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It will eventually install itself I think after a certain period of time has passed, unless your on a rooted and different rom then stock .

I did not have any problems with 2.3.340 but have rooted and on different rom now . Yes if within 30 days they will give you a new replacement IF needed in store , after that its refurd gets sent to you overnight or next day depending on when shipping info was received .

I did have many issues with 2.3.151 ;)

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The only reason not to is if you'll be away from a Verizon store and absolutely, positively need your phone for the next few days. I've seen people update their phones on holiday or if the phone is their only camera before a major event and disaster struck, but for the typical case there's not enough risk to warrant clicking on the popups all the time.

I just upgraded my D2G on the way to work yesterday, I first got the popups the prior evening. I waited until my commute because I already had all the overnight emails read, was soon to have laptop email access, and I knew that IT would be available in the morning if my Touchdown setup broke. Luckily nothing bad happened (which is like saying "luckily I wasn't hit by a bus" since this is the typical behavior), but I wanted to mitigate risk since I'm effectively on call this week.

Also remember, people log on to complain that there's a problem or to search for a solution, I never posted that my DX upgrade went fine and I no new bugs are affecting me.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You can update it. I have no problems with it plus its not going to cause problems to the point of where the phone is not usable. Its just an update.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You can update it. I have no problems with it plus its not going to cause problems to the point of where the phone is not usable. Its just an update.

Plus, if you've only had the X for about a week, you probably haven't changed anything that would cause problems with the update. People that have problems with the updates typically either messed with their phones by rooting and tweaking software or by installing a bajillion-and-a-half apps.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'll take the plunge today. I guess you're right about people just posting when there is a problem, so probably a small percentage have problems. This is all just so new to me and I'm not that knowledgable to do some of the fixes I see on the forum here, just in case something does go wrong. That's what the Verizon store is for I guess.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
well I did the Update and no problems so far. It only took a few minutes to load this afternoon. Thanks again for your input.

guitarguy2448

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Plus, if you've only had the X for about a week, you probably haven't changed anything that would cause problems with the update. People that have problems with the updates typically either messed with their phones by rooting and tweaking software or by installing a bajillion-and-a-half apps.

that is the furthest from the truth...people who have done nothing to their phones are having many problems,,but not from the latest update, but from the 2.2 froyo update. this latest update does not change the operating system but adds enhancements to it. its also suppose to tweak bugs from 2.2 update which the o.p. does not have cuz his phone was not updated to froyo but built with it..

harryj

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
My update failed a few times.
Then I realized that I had changed my build prop file on my rooted X
I flashed back to an earlier nandroid backup
update worked fine
Re-rooted
Honestly, if there is a difference from 2.3.15, it is not a huge one

rvpals

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Depends, I have mixed feeling about the upgrade after I am done.

There are definitely some quirks out there, but nothing un-resolvable or a big deal. Very annoying nonetheless.

- You can not disable screen lock like you used to. Seems it always turn it on by itself even you turned it off. I still haven't figure out what triggers the re-turn on of the screen lock

- Market in my case crashed every time I go to App detail screen. I uninstall updates of Market to revert back to older version of market, I'm ok now. (Before it was the fancy new version of Market)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles