Needed: a calendar application that works

happy5

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum! :D

After switching from WebOS to Android nearly a month ago, I think I have the hang of it (rooted device, some essential apps, full backup, and being comfortable with the phone).

One thing that is driving me nuts is also, oddly, a defect WebOS also had... the lack of a great calendar application. Call me a dinosaur, but the best calendar app I used was Agendus in the good old days of Palm OS.

I'm really trying to have a calendar app that can at least provide great functionality while serving as a home screen. Taskos kind of remind me of Agendus (can touch items and they get deleted) but it's only for tasks. Pure Calendar Widget is frankly a pain in the ass to use.

Any good recommendations out there? I'm not looking for free alternatives - if it works, I want to know about it.

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I also switched from Web OS and prior Palm generations. I've had similar issues.

I started using Business Calendar and have liked it the best so far.

I have the paid version for free through Amazon's "app of the day" but I think there's also a free version. Try it out. I've really liked it.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Business Calender. I've been using it for a while and it works great. I got the paid free version for free thanks to Amazon, but there is a free version available as well.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have not used business calendar but I hear nothing but good things about it. Might want to give that a try and see if it's for you.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
IRT Calendar (pro version) is the best out there, imo, and I've tried a number of them. Years ago I used and loved DateBk for Palm and IRT is the closest I've come for Android. It has great scheduling options, plus you can actually read the events in week and month view.

happy5

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Business calendar is nice, however the lack of scrolling in the widget is killing me. Also, one cannot "check off" events in the widget, and requires at least 3 clicks for an event to be erased (1st touch to go from widget to calendar, then to event, then click to delete).

Amazing that I have to "touch" more in my fancy phone than in the clunky old Treos! The calendar overall is quite good though.

Will give IRT a try as well? Any other calendar apps, combinations, or hacks?

JrrInTN

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried several. I wanted one with a widget that shows a full month calendar with text appts and times for each day. The only one I've found that does that well is Touch Calendar. I do also like Business Calendar or the calendar in Touchdown (linking to Exchange) for editing appts, so I use a combination of them.

sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Another Biz Calendar junky...

If your an old Palm head (like me) and used Datebk, check out Pimlical for Android by the same developer.

happy5

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Pimlical for Android sounds good, but no free trial is a bit too harsh. For now settling in with Touch Calendar. It seems nothing is or was as good as Agendus (maybe I'm being nostalgic here!).

djsmom

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for Biz Calendar. I keep multiple calendars to try to separate everyones activities and I love how I can view them all color coded. I had tried smooth calendar (free) and that was pretty good, but Biz is so much better.

happy5

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, is it me, or does only the paid version of IRT calendar has a widget? It looks good but only provides a link to the app, not an actual widget.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You have a 15 minute window to get a refund on apps from the market.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

15-minutes is not enough time to really see if a Calendar app is going to be good for day-to-day use. You need real world usage and that can't even be done under the old 24-hour policy, imo.

happy5

May 30, 2011
Visit site
15-minutes is not enough time to really see if a Calendar app is going to be good for day-to-day use. You need real world usage and that can't even be done under the old 24-hour policy, imo.

Agreed. Paid for an app, but really could not test it in a couple of hours.