Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok.. Gotcha,
How much would that 50GB tier be compared to the UDP of 30 dollars?
$.. More?
usymebur.jpg

The most offered for the legacy family share plan or legacy individual plan is 12gb,which is $100 per month. On the more everything plan, you can go up to 100gb and that is $750. 50gb is $375

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/usymebur.jpg

The most offered for the legacy family share plan or legacy individual plan is 12gb,which is $100 per month. On the more everything plan, you can go up to 100gb and that is $750. 50gb is $375

I can see why tiered plans subscribers will get non throttled data.
Yikes!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

I can see why tiered plans subscribers will get non throttled data.
Yikes!

That is also why shareholders with chunks of their retirement in big red really hate the UDP holders and how they are not paying their fair share of usage and why $30 gets them 4.7GB of non-throttled data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

That is also why shareholders with chunks of their retirement in big red really hate the UDP holders and how they are not paying their fair share of usage and why $30 gets them 4.7GB of non-throttled data.
Well Verizon was the one who created the monster. When I got my first smartphone, Verizon required me to get an unlimited data plan. I wanted a smartphone with no data or little data and Verizon didn't allow it. So they are the ones who wet my appetite.

In fact Verizon had tiered data before but then eliminated that plan and forced everyone to sign up for unlimited data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/usymebur.jpg

Ah okay. I was just looking on the site and could only choose up to 5p GB.

Well Verizon was the one who created the monster. When I got my first smartphone, Verizon required me to get an unlimited data plan. I wanted a smartphone with no data or little data and Verizon didn't allow it. So they are the ones who wet my appetite.

In fact Verizon had tiered data before but then eliminated that plan and forced everyone to sign up for unlimited data.

Yep. That's how I felt with AT&T... They forced me to have it so I did... Then get mad when I used it and they decided to switch to limited to milk money? :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

To be honest the only reason why Verizon didn't do something sooner was probably due to block c issues

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Do you remember anything about what the tiered plans were like?

Beka27

May 23, 2011
Visit site

You put this perfectly! We were just going about our lives, checking email once in awhile, oblivious to smartphone data. Big Red comes out from a dark alley and offers us " just a little taste "...

Fast forward... We're all junkies, streaming, syncing, downloading... While the dealer whines about the supply.

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Do you remember anything about what the tiered plans were like?

IIRC, They had payg, data block, and 10mb

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

I think it is fair to rein in the top 5% of users... at least if it is true that 95% of us won't be impacted (or possibly even receive a little benefit). I think it is fair to share the bandwidth somewhat evenly in order to provide consistent service to all.

With that said, I don't think I'll be impacted since I don't use nearly as much data as some do... I don't stream music or use other data hungry functions.

frankebones

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

So if I am understanding this correctly... If someone with UDP is under contract, they are excluded from throttling?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So if I am understanding this correctly... If someone with UDP is under contract, they are excluded from throttling?
According to the Verizon network Optimization faq page only government accounts and business account that have signed a major contract will not be affected.

Here are some facts about the proposed Verizon Network Optimization.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/mobl/features.info_data_disclosure.tp_2.html

Am I affected by Network Optimization?

Only a small percent of customers will be affected.To be affected, you must be a data customer on an unlimited data plan who is among the top 5% of data users.Network Optimization of 4G LTE devices does not apply to government customers or business customers who have signed a major account agreement.

How will I know if I’m in the top 5% of data users?

As of March 2014, the top 5% of data users were using 4.7 GB or more of data each month.

I’m a small business customer, will this affect me?

Anyone on an unlimited data plan and in the top 5% of data users is subject to Network Optimization.* If you think this will impact your business, contact your sales representative or go into your local Verizon Wireless Communications Store to discuss other service plans to meet your needs.

Once my data speed is reduced, am I going to be under Network Optimization forever?

No. You will be subject to Network Optimization for that billing cycle and the following cycle. When subject to Network Optimization you will only be affected when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Otherwise, your data will operate as normal.

Can my data speed be reduced more than once? Can it be done consecutively?

Yes, if you are consistently in the top 5% on an unlimited data plan, you will continue to be subject to Network Optimization when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand.

Is there a way for me to avoid the possibility of having my data speed reduced?

If you’re on an unlimited data plan and are concerned that you are in the top 5% of data users, you can switch to a usage-based data plan as customers on usage-based plans are not impacted. Information on our usage-based data plans can be found at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/b2c/explore/?page=data&token=WXwxiFP2.

How slow should I expect my phone to function?

Because this process is in place to ensure the best service to our customers, the speed will vary at any given time. It will depend on how many users are on the same site at that time and what data applications are being used on that site at that time.

How can I tell which cell sites are experiencing high demand?

There is no way for you to easily determine that today.* There are many variables that can contribute to a cell site experiencing high demand including, but not limited to, the number of active users and the type of applications being used on that site.* While we work to ensure we have the most reliable network for every location, these variables combined with other environmental factors determine whether or not a particular cell site experiences high demand at any particular time.

If my data speed is reduced will there be compensation or a credit to my bill?

No. You will still receive unlimited data use, so there is no compensation for reduced data speeds.

Last edited:

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

According to the Verizon network Optimization faq page only government accounts and business account that have signed a major contract will not be affected.

Here are some facts about the proposed Verizon Network Optimization.

Verizon Mobile Support

Am I affected by Network Optimization?

Only a small percent of customers will be affected.To be affected, you must be a data customer on an unlimited data plan who is among the top 5% of data users.Network Optimization of 4G LTE devices does not apply to government customers or business customers who have signed a major account agreement.

How will I know if I’m in the top 5% of data users?

As of March 2014, the top 5% of data users were using 4.7 GB or more of data each month.

I’m a small business customer, will this affect me?

Anyone on an unlimited data plan and in the top 5% of data users is subject to Network Optimization.* If you think this will impact your business, contact your sales representative or go into your local Verizon Wireless Communications Store to discuss other service plans to meet your needs.

Once my data speed is reduced, am I going to be under Network Optimization forever?

No. You will be subject to Network Optimization for that billing cycle and the following cycle. When subject to Network Optimization you will only be affected when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Otherwise, your data will operate as normal.

Can my data speed be reduced more than once? Can it be done consecutively?

Yes, if you are consistently in the top 5% on an unlimited data plan, you will continue to be subject to Network Optimization when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand.

Is there a way for me to avoid the possibility of having my data speed reduced?

If you’re on an unlimited data plan and are concerned that you are in the top 5% of data users, you can switch to a usage-based data plan as customers on usage-based plans are not impacted. Information on our usage-based data plans can be found at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/b2c/explore/?page=data&token=YXHLKxaY.

How slow should I expect my phone to function?

Because this process is in place to ensure the best service to our customers, the speed will vary at any given time. It will depend on how many users are on the same site at that time and what data applications are being used on that site at that time.

How can I tell which cell sites are experiencing high demand?

There is no way for you to easily determine that today.* There are many variables that can contribute to a cell site experiencing high demand including, but not limited to, the number of active users and the type of applications being used on that site.* While we work to ensure we have the most reliable network for every location, these variables combined with other environmental factors determine whether or not a particular cell site experiences high demand at any particular time.

If my data speed is reduced will there be compensation or a credit to my bill?

No. You will still receive unlimited data use, so there is no compensation for reduced data speeds.

okay slightly confused here.. only ones not effected are government and business. So I'm a military veteran who has the 15% government employee discount does that qualify?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
okay slightly confused here.. only ones not effected are government and business. So I'm a military veteran who has the 15% government employee discount does that qualify?
Do you have a personal account with Verizon? Or is your phone from your work place?
I believe the type account that your phone is associated with will determine if you qualify or not? Because, it states government or business accounts that have signed a major contract.
So if your phone is not part of a government contract with Verizon? I'm not sure you will be exempt? Then again I would call Verizon to get some clarification in your situation.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

If your on a personal account, even if it has a government/employee discount, you'll likely be subject to this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device.

What is the minimum Contractual agreement? 2 years?. I didn't see that on the Verizon Hp. Good to know

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What is the minimum Contractual agreement? 2 years?. I didn't see that on the Verizon Hp. Good to know

Doesn't say but Verizon only offers 2 year contracts for the general public since around April 2011 (i remember because I picked up the Thunderbolt right before the cutoff) . Large government or business contracts might have 1 year depending on agreement, but they are excluded anyway.

That is why I recommended earlier that everyone get on contract before October 1st. And by on contract, I mean activate the device, not just buying the phone as activation actually starts the clock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...4/07/network-optimization.html&token=YxgbDCot

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Another disturbing problem (for us, not Verizon) is the use of a percentage. 5% is 4.7 GB now, but our behavior will likely be modified to reduce data use.
- some unlimited users will try to keep under 4.7 GB, so they never experience throttling.
- other unlimited users will get frustrated by the user experience when throttled, and reduce their use when being throttled
- other unlimited users will just not be able to pull the same number bits in the time they usually are using data, due to the lower speeds during throttling.

So today's 5%/4.7 GB could be 4.5 GB in a month, 4.2 in two months, etc.

It could get even worse, depending on how they interpret the pool of data users to calculate the 5%. I wouldn't put it past them if the pool they use is substantially the subset of their users on unlimited.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Another disturbing problem (for us, not Verizon) is the use of a percentage. 5% is 4.7 GB now, but our behavior will likely be modified to reduce data use.
- some unlimited users will try to keep under 4.7 GB, so they never experience throttling.
- other unlimited users will get frustrated by the user experience when throttled, and reduce their use when being throttled
- other unlimited users will just not be able to pull the same number bits in the time they usually are using data, due to the lower speeds during throttling.

So today's 5%/4.7 GB could be 4.5 GB in a month, 4.2 in two months, etc.

It could get even worse, depending on how they interpret the pool of data users to calculate the 5%. I wouldn't put it past them if the pool they use is substantially the subset of their users on unlimited.

What I don't like most about this new policy is that once you go over the 4.7GB cap you will be so called flagged? For at least the current and next bill.
If you keep on going over this cap? It will keep on revolving on your account to where Verizon can throttle you for an indefinite amount of time.

Question is? What will you be throttled to? 3G? If that is the case? 3G also has a cap @ 2 GB. And if you go over that 3G cap?
Will you be throttled again? Will it goto 1x?