New Droid Charge Update

Eighty_3#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've also noticed that scrollable wallpapers are no longer available. Every wallpaper I tried would remain in a fixed position. :mad:

I resolved this by using an alternative launcher. :-\

I am not liking this update whatsoever. Wish there was a way to go back to EP4. :confused:

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed that scrollable wallpapers are no longer available. Every wallpaper I tried would remain in a fixed position. :mad:

I resolved this by using an alternative launcher. :-\

I am not liking this update whatsoever. Wish there was a way to go back to EP4. :confused:

There is you can Odin or cwm back to stock ep4d

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If true, that's very exciting. Calls on my wife's Droid Charge have gotten garbled audio on a regular basis. Mine too, to a lesser extent.

Be careful. In speaking with Verizon and Samsung yesterday, it seems that the issue of audio isn't fully resolved as of this new ota. Samsung is still working on a major patch for the issue, as it appears to be specifically tied to hardware in fine phones and software in all phones, as well as tower signal strength. The stronger the signal, the greater the frequency of the phone having audio equalization issues.

They're also combating an audio issue with headphone audio jacks not making full contact in the connector that cause similar complaints.

Reactions: fundragon

bangpanther

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
At my work the 4G is weak and switches back and forth between that and 3G constantly. If I am doing that while loading a page or fetching email it usually fails. I could see the data going out (on the 3/4G icon arrows in the top bar) and nothing coming back.

Since the new update it flips back and forth much faster and I havent had a failed page yet. That is a huge bonus for someone who mainly uses this phone for data.

fae49

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I updated my phone two nights ago. Today I moved some of my apps to my SD card. When I was done, the phone, contacts and messages icons that are always at the bottom of the screen disappeared, leaving only the application icon. I don't know if this has something to do with the update, or if this is some other, unrelated issue. I've attached a screenshot. Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this, but I think its related to the new update. Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I updated my phone two nights ago. Today I moved some of my apps to my SD card. When I was done, the phone, contacts and messages icons that are always at the bottom of the screen disappeared, leaving only the application icon. I don't know if this has something to do with the update, or if this is some other, unrelated issue. I've attached a screenshot. Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this, but I think its related to the new update. Thanks

I got the OTA update yesterday or the day before. Ever since I updated the messages icon at the bottom of the homescreen keeps disappearing. Occasionally I will back out of an app or unlock my screen and it will be there briefly, smiling its smug smile, before it disappears again. When it's not at the bottom of my homescreen the messages app also does not show up in the application list. It's very frustrating as it means that if I want to send somebody a text message I have to go to their name in my contacts and send them a message that way. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, except it virtually eliminates my ability to send group messages. I know, I know I can download Handcent or GoSMS or something similar but I've been trying to avoid that since I picked up the Charge since the stock SMS had all of the features that I felt I needed and I thought it was nice to NOT need a third party app to handle basic cell phone functions, silly me.

Anyway, if anybody is having this problem and figures out a way to fix it, please let me know!

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Geez! There was no reason for you to respond to me in a hostile manner.

Keep digging...

Since the update it takes a good 10 seconds for an email to delete. Whether its 1 or 5, it just sits there on deleting for 10-15 seconds. Anyone else have this problem now?

Gps lock is very fast now for sure.

jz8

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I realize most forum post are for problems. But really. This update is an amazing improvement to this phone.

* GPS locks in seconds
* My bluetooth connection to my car was sporadic -- now no problems
* Boot is much quicker
* Getting rid of the puzzle piece is great. I can now swipe anywhere on the screen and unlock.

This update has turned the phone into one I had to get rid of, to one I am happy to keep and save myself a good deal of upgrade money.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If you would like to be done waiting you can manually update to FP1 by following this procedure:

1. Download this file: 668fc9f366e2.update_SCH-I510_EP4D_to_FP1H.zip
2. Rename the file to update.zip
3. Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card
4. Shutdown phone
5. Hold down the volume up, home, and power button
6. Once in android stock recovery arrow and and select "apply sdcard update.zip" with the home button
7. Select update.zip with the home button
8. The update will run and phone will reboot on its own then you will be on FP1:p

I applied the OTA update on my rooted Charge but am still on 2.3.6 and EP4 and still rooted. Can I apply the manual instructions above over what I currently have or do I have to go back to stock/unroot first?

geoclooney

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
+1 I use foxfi for ipad wifi and it seems too good to be true. Any chance the new update could disable wifi hotspot sometime later after install? i.e. works fine right after update, then after enough users have adopted the update: BAM! no more wifi hotspot from third party apps. Or maybe I am just paranoid.

This.

Does anyone else have this fear? Given how hard it's been to get updates on this phone, I'm suspicious that this new OTA pops up on my screen every few minutes. I've been clicking "install later" due to my paranoia. If they are working so hard to give us this update it makes me a little suspicious.

I know anything is possible, but does anyone "in the know" have any idea whether or not this update makes it more likely that Verizon is waiting and watching to catch people in the act of using these 3rd party apps?

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I applied the OTA update on my rooted Charge but am still on 2.3.6 and EP4 and still rooted. Can I apply the manual instructions above over what I currently have or do I have to go back to stock/unroot first?

You will have to go back to total stock first for it to work

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
After updating yesterday, my alarm did not go off this morning. [...] I'm guessing it was because it was plugged into the charger?

For what it's worth, my alarm has worked just fine - even while plugged into the charger.
I'm using Verizon's generic charger rather than the one that came bundled with the phone, if that makes a difference.

fundragon

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Be careful. In speaking with Verizon and Samsung yesterday, it seems that the issue of audio isn't fully resolved as of this new ota. [...] The stronger the signal, the greater the frequency of the phone having audio equalization issues.

Wait... so the reason our calls sound like garbage is that our signal strength is too good?! :eek:

I've been considering getting a network extender for our home, thinking that the signal strength might be bad... guess I'll have to do a little more research. Thanks!