New here to Stock Android.... I would like some Tips and Tricks

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
With Android you have much more flexibility and functionality than IOS.
IOS is complete garbage ! Don't believe what the media feeds you!

You have a vast variety of browsers to use Dolphin- Boat- Chrome and many other browsers

You also can use Handcent - GOSMS and many other SMS apps for texting.
With Android there is always a work around. With IOS you will not have that luxury.

Ok, after a few days of playing with this beast of a phone, I have a few tweaks that I'm sure u would like.

I purchased Nova Launcher Prime ( love the swipe gestures)
I loaded Textra and disabled Hangouts or what ever that stock text app was called
I'm using one more clock widget (free)

I'm still playing with these features and learning new stuff. Honestly I really like this kind of stuff, but it takes a lot of time and effort. I can see why some people would go the easy route and choose not to customize.

That being said give me a few other options.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all of the previous statements.
Nova launcher is great ! You really should try Apex launcher as well .
I used to run both of them. I use the Google experience launcher now.
It seems to run good on the Note3 and is very light !

Google Now is way better than Siri could ever be and getting better by the day!

It does take awhile to set things up the way you like it but once it's the way you like it- it's awesome!
It just goes to prove that laziness doesn't pay!

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all of the previous statements.
Nova launcher is great ! You really should try Apex launcher as well .
I used to run both of them. I use the Google experience launcher now.
It seems to run good on the Note3 and is very light !

Google Now is way better than Siri could ever be and getting better by the day!

It does take awhile to set things up the way you like it but once it's the way you like it- it's awesome!
It just goes to prove that laziness doesn't pay!

I really like Google now. I have that set up to launch when I swipe the home icon up.

I had the note 3 before the N5 and what I really liked was how you can swipe up from the bottom and the magazine app will launch, so I set up my N5 to launch flip board with the same gesture. I know it's not the same as on the note 3 but it a good substitution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
He's a pic of my preliminary set up. I'm still tweaking away trying to perfect my android experience!

Attachments

• 1386457806991.jpg
    1386457806991.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 17

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
^
hmm.. so what launcher does the Nexus 5 comes with?

also, can i uninstall the nova launcher and go back to my Stock launcher in N5? no void in warranty? (sry for this question, im just scared of installing these launcher kind of stuff) lol :confused:

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
^
hmm.. so what launcher does the Nexus 5 comes with?

also, can i uninstall the nova launcher and go back to my Stock launcher in N5? no void in warranty? (sry for this question, im just scared of installing these launcher kind of stuff) lol :confused:

Yes you can always go back to the stock launcher. It's very easy to play with. It might take some time but you will get the hang of it. Go to you tube, there's a few videos there showing how to use nova and other launchers.

And if you have any questions just come back. We will help ya out!

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's a trick I find super useful for the Nexus 5. You never have to hit the power button again to sleep your device!

The same gesture that you do to get to Google Now can be changed to turning the device/screen off.

Just install this free app called "Screen Off And Lock": https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en&token=4-FGC0rL

Then swipe up from Home (like you would to get to Google Now) and it'll ask you to set a new default:

Grant it permissions, and now, every time you swipe up from Home, you can lock your screen/device from anywhere! Great for those who don't want to overuse the power button, and for those who obviously don't use Google Now like that.

To get rid of it, just go to "Screen Off and Lock" app in your App settings and Clear Defaults (or just uninstall the app).

Just thought I'd share.

18kIPGx.jpg

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice if you can use a gesture to wake your phone up. I miss the physical home button.

I personally don't miss a physical home button.

I own a 5C for work and I must say everything about the home button feels antiquated and slow (as in, the time it takes for the OS to exit an app I'm in and take me back to the home screen. That might have more to do with the animations than the physical buttons, though). A physical home button up front also means you can't have a larger screen that's closer to edge to edge, nor dynamic icons that can adapt to the situation (ala Immersive mode or the software home buttons of the Nexus 5 changing, turning, etc.).

However, I do agree with you that I wish there was a more intuitive way of waking the device than reaching for that side power button. It'd be nice to see a Nexus that has the same Moto X feature where if you pick up your phone or flip it over or take it out of your pocket, the phone lights up slightly. That's putting the smart in smartphone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz