New to Android, A Few Questions about Terminology and Operations

srfcrzy

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
First off, my apologies if any of this comes up elsewhere. I seriously did my due diligence and looked (both internally to Android Central and externally), but can't find answers to these questions, so here goes:

1. In the stock htc sense settings, to what does "preview" refer? I know what the word means and usually references, but I can't tell what I would be adjusting there. I've tried playing with it, but I still can't tell.

2. A "force close" is the thing you are notified about and are asked to accept when an app decides to take a time out, correct? So what it is called and what does it mean when a) your screen blacks out and b) you lose some or all of the icons/app widgets you set up--and sometimes c) long-press on the desktop/home screen reveals that the launcher acts like the icon is still present and you have to drag and drop to remove a blank square in order to be able to replace an app icon? This has happened to me so many times. At first I thought it was the launcher, so I switched (from ADW to Launcher Pro) and switched again (back to stock).

3. What is the most likely cause of the "black out" I describe in #2 above? At first I thought it was the Task Killer App I had installed, so I uninstalled. Then I thought it was ADW, so I switched to Launcher Pro. Then I was trying to run "PowerStrip" with Launcher Pro (I followed all settings instructions), and it happened again. So I went back to the stock launcher...fine for a while, happened again. So I uninstalled Powerstrip (which I loved). Is this a normal glitch? Am I missing something?

4. Let's say the "black out" I describe in #2 happens and I am using ADW Launcher, is it possible to uninstall and reinstall ADW and still restore the back-up from the SD card? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but that's where I am.

Okay, I'll stop there. The unexpected "black outs" are driving me crazy. After spending tons of time getting things just how I like them, I hate to have to lose settings and preferences I set up, etc. Thanks for any help you can offer!

IOWA

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What your experiencing isn't normal. I suggest a hard reset, if the problem persists, return your device for a different one, as yours is defective

srfcrzy

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
FYI, in case this ever comes up for anyone else: I called Sprint tech support and ended up getting a hard reset form them over the phone. So far, so good (no black outs).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nusaka