New unlocked Pixel 5a on June security patch on AT&T.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
re: New unlocked Pixel 5a on June security patch on AT&T.

The July 2021 patch resolved a very serious exploit that allows bad actors to gain elevated permissions through apps and other methods. This vulnerability is already seen being abused in the wild. I do not feel bad about trying to protect those of us who have a 5a from this as we are all still vulnerable, nor do I feel bad about trying to inform the people who use this forum of the risks of using an unpatched system. Like many others, the only reason I buy a Pixel phone is because they are supposed to be kept up to date with security patches. It is irresponsible of Google to ship out devices which cannot be updated.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Google has the best reputation in the industry for software updates, and rightfully so. They're not perfect, but closer to perfect than anyone else. Through years of monthly security updates through 2 pixels on AT&T, I had only one instance where my security update was delayed by a week or so... otherwise I get them on or very close to the 5th of each month, just like the one coming up for September.

Have a little patience.... once the monthly updates start rolling out for the 5a you'll be able to set your watch by their consistent updates. And that's going to be 3 years of monthly security updates, and 3 OS updates. You're not going to have much to complain about shortly ;)

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site

5a just arrived, and as predicted it is on June 5, 2001 security update. I believe tomorrow 9/6/2001 should be a normal monthly update day - we'll see what happens.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Well, no update yet. If it hasn't arrived by noon I'll just give the phone away and cancel my plan to purchase a 6pro, or any other pixel for that matter. There should have been an update available the very first time I powered-up the phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, no update yet. If it hasn't arrived by noon I'll just give the phone away and cancel my plan to purchase a 6pro, or any other pixel for that matter. There should have been an update available the very first time I powered-up the phone.

Seriously?

I guess I should have been clearer - the updates are usually posted around 1 PM Eastern. Keep in mind - Google is headquartered in the US Pacific time zone, they're JUST starting their days after a long weekend.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

This has been a known issue. From the supposed rumors, something about Android 12 upgrade fixing the issue. Probably not a huge concern due to such a limited device release from a resource deployment perspective.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Seriously?

I guess I should have been clearer - the updates are usually posted around 1 PM Eastern. Keep in mind - Google is headquartered in the US Pacific time zone, they're JUST starting their days after a long weekend.

At&t is headquartered in US. They sent update for my s21ultra yesterday at 5AM.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
As an FYI, my Pixel 3a XL received its last security update on August 5th. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm on Verizon. I think Pixel updates are handled directly by Google, not the carriers.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Factory and OTA images are posted, OTA should be rolling out soon...

I just used the phone to manually search for the update and it is installing now (19.63 MB). I am in Minneapolis, MN.

(ElSquid goes to mailbox and removes re-packaged Pixel 5a he was sending back to the Google Store.)

[EDIT: Took 14 minutes to install.]

Last edited:

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
I just used the phone to manually search for the update and it is installing now (19.63 MB). I am in Minneapolis, MN.

(ElSquid goes to mailbox and removes re-packaged Pixel 5a he was sending back to the Google Store.)

[EDIT: Took 14 minutes to install.]

Very funny. There were 53 minutes remaining when the update came thru. 19.63MB. Isn't that rather small? My samsungs get updates of at least 200MB.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded 9/5/21 update…. Device still feels the same…. I feel rather let down from all the anticipation of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day already ending. Well it’s only September and I’m ready for another hurricane…..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts