Newbie.... Please help

vidal1000

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I am an apple fanboy. In fact, I own every apple device currently available (several of some) but am getting bored with ios. I bought the htc one X 3 weeks ago and love it..... Except the battery life. I have been apprehensive about the switch so have been using the One X in airplane mode on wifi. It only checks 1 email address and words with friends but it runs through battery way faster than my iPhone. In fact, tonight I left the house with both. The iPhone on AT&T and the HTC on wifi. I didn't touch the htc at all. I used the iPhone very sparingly. When I got home in 5 hours, the iPhone was at 97%. The HTC was at 75%. This is on wifi only! What's up with that? Would love to switch - but that is crazy. The screen was not on even once. Running software version 1.73. I must be missing something. It's crazy that essentially 5 hrs of standby takes 25% of battery. I may have to return this tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

AV

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I understand what you said completely. I get the same from my Vivid under the same conditions. In order to better apperciate your One X, you must think back to the beginnings of Android. When the G1 came out, battery life was far more worse than what it is today. Battery life has improved consistently with each new device, and Amdroid update. My first smartphone was the HTC Inspire, running a Snapdragon S2. Battery life wasnt great, but it wasnt bad either. My Vivid is running a Snapdragon S3 and its battery life was way better. Still not the best, but far better improvement over the Inspire. Comparing battery life of an Android to an iPhone is not fair. The only way to better compare the 2 is to ask this question, do they at least get me through a day? Losing 25% in 5 hours actually is not that bad with what you had going on. The real test is when airplane mode is off. I can tell you that my Vivid, with just wifi on, and working from 7-530, i will go home with 70-75% left. That also includes a couple 5 minute phone calls to my wife during the day. Now, the One x, with the Snapdragon S4, should get better battery life than what you got. I seriously think you might need to download Better Battery Stats and see if you have a battery drain happening and/or wakelock. Regardless, enjoy whichever device you decide to keep! :D:cool::D

Sent from my HTC Vivid

Reactions: quicksilver53

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
read around for various battery tips - I know some have suggested doing a hard reset and they then saw much better battery life. I turned off the auto brightness on my screen and my battery life went way up. This phone has the ability for great battery life, here is a scrren shot from my phone:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine stays on auto brightness and my battery life seems to be ok. But I ended up coming from the Sprint network with bad signal and an Evo 3D. So I am not to sure what the iPhone 4s gets. Also check to see whats updating in the background. Social networking apps can kill your battery too!

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting battery findings because I have the exact opposite results as you do. My HOX has a much battery battery life then my 4s even with ios 5.1 which did improve the battery and the issue I had when I got the phone where my battery would drop 2% every minute unless I rebooted the phone. You should checkout the battery thread on AC I have posted a picture of my phone at 53% battery left after 1 day 2 hours. I wouldn't give up on the HOX yet just IMOP, take care.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Wifi if not actually being used is known to drain the battery by performing constant scans.

And, words with friends is a battery whore... Just a heads up.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

ArcticFish

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
U can try rooting ur phone, and then u can do many things that improve battery life like clocking. Also u can try apps like juice defender and also clear apps that are running tgat u aren't using right then in task managee

Sent from my SGH-T989

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Juice defender was good back in the froyo days, but there are arguments that it hurts the battery more now...

vidal1000

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I unplugged 3 hr and 20 minutes ago. Again, just in wifi in my house with a good signal. Same things running but this time with better battery running. In that time it decreased to 83%. Barely used it.

Better battery says 3hr 19 min 48s since unplugged
Deep sleep 5s
Awake 3hr 19min 42s
Screen on 5min 30s
KWL: 2hr 30 min 15s
PWL : 3min 28 sec

Does that mean anything to anyone? Is some process keeping my phone from sleeping and that's why it burns through battery even though it is seemingly doing very little?

Thanks!!

AV

vidal1000

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that wifi itself is causing this issue? I have only 2 apps installed that did not come on the phone. With all of the wifi issues I read about, I set the wifi to "best wifi performance". Here is a screenshot of what I got from the battery monitoring app. It seems "suspend_backoff" is keeping it from sleeping. I appreciate any thoughts. View attachment 26517

Thanks!

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Basically, an app may be using the wifi I the bg, like mebbe wwf...

Check widget refresh intervals and use a task manager to kill words when not in use

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
ya, forgot about that, make sure to turn "best wifi performance" OFF, it's a battery killer.

Is it possible that wifi itself is causing this issue? I have only 2 apps installed that did not come on the phone. With all of the wifi issues I read about, I set the wifi to "best wifi performance". Here is a screenshot of what I got from the battery monitoring app. It seems "suspend_backoff" is keeping it from sleeping. I appreciate any thoughts. View attachment 26517

Thanks!

vidal1000

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Turns out that it was the wifi performance thing. Phone now goes to sleep and has only lost 1% over the past 1:15 without changing any other settings. Wild. Good to know. Thanks to everybody for the help. That "better battery" app helped quite a bit.