Nexus 5 Camera App Replacement?

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Best phone I've ever owned but let's me honest...the camera app on this thing is brutally terrible. It's horribly slow, awful at focusing, and I've been missing way too many shots. The device does snap some good pics when there is good lighting and no moving objects (ie: no people), but it simply isn't good enough and now that I have a new baby I need better performance. Are there any good apps on the Play Store that will improve the photography experience? The picture quality seems to be fine so this is clearly a software issue and I'm hoping Google fixes it soon. But in the mean time, any suggestions (paid or fee) would be very helpful. Thanks!

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just disabled the stock camera and installed Camera ZOOM FX that is found within the Play Store's Editors' Choice. The stock camera was also draining the battery quite a bit so let's see how this does.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use CameraZoom a lot at times but I can't figure out how to free form crop via it. Is that even possible? It seems you can only select one of the crop templates.

cheth

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Camera Zoom FX is the best. I don't have a Nexus 5 yet. Not sure if it's really worse when compared to Nexus 4.

Wait, ddin't Google claim N5 camera to be really good?

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not that the camera itself is bad...it actually takes good shots. The software is just literally pathetically horrendous and slow as balls.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's not that the camera itself is bad...it actually takes good shots. The software is just literally pathetically horrendous and slow as balls.

Yeah the vanilla Android software. This is why some people actually are fine with skins like touchwiz and Sense..... because they actually try to put some time into user experience even if at time it's a little overkill. It's what comes with a stock Android experience.

Since I'm rooted and I don't mind tinkering for a good gain, I'm just going to install the camera MOD over on XDA. From reviewing the thread it seems to improve the stock camera app substantially. I just don't want to pay for a camera app so I'll take a chance.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's been a while since I used Camera FX - I'll be giving it a try and see how I like it on the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Bent Christensen

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I love my new N5 but obviously the stock camera is slow. I have done som research and testet these 4 camera apps: Camera FV5, ICS+, Camera Awesome and the stock N5 camera.
I have tested each app at three locations: My dog in my livingroom, a shot in my garden, and a makro. The result:
FV5 is no good. Its slow and picture qualitet is average.
ICS+ is ok. Quick shutter and ok pics.
Camera Awesome: Quick and good shots.
N5 stock: Very slow but quite clearly best picture quality. (Settings:I used HDR+)
So there you have it. I think I'm going or Awesome, but in many cases the stock camera app is usefull - just not fotos af my dog running round in the garden

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Seems there is an issues with a lot of the 3rd party camera apps while taken pictures at night under lights. A lot of times it will darken the picture after you snap it. I have seen this same problem in a lot of the different apps. Stock does not have this issue so hopefully these companies can figure it out and fix it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Seems there is an issues with a lot of the 3rd party camera apps while taken pictures at night under lights. A lot of times it will darken the picture after you snap it. I have seen this same problem in a lot of the different apps. Stock does not have this issue so hopefully these companies can figure it out and fix it.

This happened to me with zoom fx. I am using pro capture and while I do not like the interface as much, the pictures come out much better than stock or camera zoom fx IMO.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5