Nexus 5: First Impressions & Reviews

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 First Impressions & Reviews

So far I'm loving this phone. Much more so than the N4. I felt the N4, in my opinion, felt a little chinsy. The rear glass made me worried every time I set it down in my counter tops. Not so with this. I have the black nexus 5. Software wise I'm surprised as well; very quick. Coming from an iPhone 5 I'm very pleased. Camera seems better and the battery is alright. I also got terrible battery life with my iPhone 5 with iOS 7. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jessie1775

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Coming from a GN3 and currently using a Z1, I decided to order it to check it out. IMO its a step down from both phones. Will be sending back tomorrow.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Using my new nexus5 right now

man it just keeps getting better

at my office, my galaxy nexus would get 0 bars 4g. Just enough that data still worked but phone calls would break up and drop every time.

nexus 5 has 3 of 4 bars sitting in the exact same spot on my desk. woot.

Agreed - the N5 has the best reception of any phone I've ever had!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Ordered Black 32GB late on the 31st (after trick and treating with the kids) as I missed the initial launch earlier in the day, was told 2-4 weeks for shipping..shipped the following Sunday, Received today. Very happy/shocked with Shipping speed.

Moving over from a Gnex I purchased two summers ago, which was my first personal smart phone, having used a BB Curve, Bold and Curve through work. Bought the N4 for the GF for her birthday last year. On Fido Network in Canada, and was able to get a free LTE card.

Won't bother going through the packaging as it's pretty standard. Personally I really like the look of the phone, and although I prefer the N4's Glass back and gun metal trim more, the N5 looks a little more durable. Buttons feel nice, and yes, my power button rattles, but not like it's going to fall out; it's a minimal amount of play and really doesn't concern nor bother me in the least. Speaker placement on the N5 is better than on the back of N4, but unfortunately I'm finding that the way I'm used to holding my phone when I'm typing with two hands, my thumb covers the port. Landscape mode isn't a problem.

On the speaker. I'm personally not finding any issues with it, but also, despite the fact that I do listen to video's and music on it, I'm not a big audiofile; Most definitely louder and better quality than my Gnex, but I'll need to compare it more closely with the N4, which used to make us jump when a notification came because it was so loud; I don't believe it has the same strength as the N4 though. as a speaker phone, I can hear the other party no problems, but there is a slight tin sound...doesn't bother me personally as long as I can understand them. Besides, I Really don't care to talk on the phone and avoid it when I can; I really only have the phone for media consumption, and because my family does like trying to reach me once in a while :D

The Earpiece sound is clear and loud enough in a quiet room (will need to try it outside), and is very similar in quality to my Gnex, which I found to be pretty good to start. It is nowhere as loud as the N4, where I can hear both sides of the conversation from across the room when the GF is on the phone (very annoying actually).Voice being transmitted to the other end is clear from what I'm being told.

I've connected the device to my BlueTooth headset and the sound out to them seems a bit louder than what I was getting with my Gnex. This was later confirmed once I connected the device to my Car Stereo's BT. It really sounded great pumping music from Google Music through to the 9 speakers and Sub, and just seemed more powerful than both the Gnex and the N4..will have to take all three out with me and test over the weekend. BT calling worked without a hitch and sound came in very clear on both sides. I'm going to need to try calling with my headset as I did have problems with my Gnex being able to keep a connection with it (would drop the BT connection over the course of the call). One issue I did come across while watching a youtube video while connected to my headset, was that the wireless transfer button all of a sudden showed up as an overlay to the video?? I couldn't do anything with it because when I clicked on it, it would just pause/play the video. the only way I could get rid of it was cutting out BT. it's not a hardware issue, just don't know if it's a kitkat issue or youtube one.

Wireless connectivity; I have N connectivity at home, both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.. the N5 automatically connected to the slower 2.4 band for some reason, despite sitting no further than 4 feet from the router.. switched it manually to the 5ghz band and it connected no problems and haven't had any issues all evening downloading all my crap to the phone.

Mobile connectivity..well, it looks like I'm in a crappy LTE zone as I was only able to get one bar...switched to HSPA+ and all was good. Went for a drive a little earlier and less than a KM down the road I got full bars for LTE..did a couple download tests; I'll probably stick with 3G as I'm only really seeing a dramatic increase in speed for uploads. 3g = 10mbps down, 1.12mbps up. LTE= 14mbps down, 10.5mbps up.... LTE, for me, is great if I'm trying to upload largish videos to facebook or or google drive or something, but because of my monthly limits, I usually only do that from home anyway. 10mbps down listening to music, browsing and the like is more than sufficient for me, so I'll save the battery hit, and stick with 3G/HSPA+ unless I all of a sudden really need faster upload speeds.

For the Screen; it really is a beautiful screen. Mine doesn't have any defects/dead pixels. most definitely better than the Gnex, which had started to develop faint lines the all through the screen. Personally, I find it bright enough. using a screen test, color reproduction looked good, but there was backlight bleed around some of the edges; Again, this doesn't bother me so much as it's minimal and is slightly expected from a "cheaper" phone using LCD instead of a LED or AMOLED display. But the screen is very none the less.

Last bit I'll touch on is the camera. Apart from the bump in storage space (I had the 16GB Gnex), I wanted a little bump for a snap and shoot camera. It's a pretty good camera, but obviously nothing like what you'd get if you had a dedicated Camera. For those instances, I'll whip out my DSLR. But for those times when I need a quick shot, or want to take videos and snap shots at the same time, which is something we've both liked on our devices. I've taken a couple of low light shots and they came out incredibly good, except if I try to manually focus. If I leave the autofocus to do its thing, the camera is able to lighten the area enough to get great detail. if I manually focus, more often than not, the scene darkens to the actual levels I'm trying to focus on. This was happening in both HDR+ and regular shooting, I'll be trying outdoor shots tomorrow as it was way too late/dark by the time I got home from work.

Not going to bother talking about the rest of the internals; It's fast; Freaky fast. I've also started using the Android RunTime, which makes it seem even more so (I guess I'm susceptible to the placebo effect). Battery life is too early to talk about, but with my usage, I'm expecting the same as with my Gnex at the very least. having a Sealed battery doesn't bother me as much as it did a couple years ago. for my Gnex, because it drained so fast at the start, I picked up two extra batteries and charger....I've used them maybe a total of 5-6 times over the last two years. I'm usually close enough to a usb cable and we plug in to the car if we're using our phones in it, built in batteries really don't phase me as much anymore. It would have been nice if they could have matched the battery in the G2, but ah well. I knew it when i bought it, so I must be ok with it,

Overall I'm really happy with the N5. Next year we'll probably pick up the next Nexus for Shawnna as you really can't beat the off contract price versus the hardware..

Cheers!
Steph S

Edit - regarding battery life..so far, much better than my Gnex, and even the wife's N4, although she texts and uses it for phone calls way more than I do. from a full charge, I've been able to chat away on Facebook, download apps as I restore what I had, browse in Chrome, watch a little netflix(not long at all, just enough to look at the video quality...maybe 30 minutes or so), take some HDR+ pictures and listen to music pumped to my BT headset while I slept...it showed just over 10hrs of use, almost 4hrs of screen time and still about 25% when I woke up this morning, and that's with all three wireless radio's on, which I usually never do...personally, I think that's pretty good. but real test will be over the course of today while I play with it as normally would.. *shrug*

Last edited:

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Feels great in the hand, very solidly built and not a cheap Samsung plastic-like feel. I am really enjoying the phone so far, the minimalism and "plain-ness" of it is what really draws me in. I don't need all of the bells and whistles that other OEMs are offering...it does everything I need it to do really well and nothing more.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I'll try to update the main post tonight with links to some of the thoughts in here.

Also, this phone is great.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

My thoughts:

I currently have the HTC One and I'm kind of so-so about getting rid of it and keeping the N5 as my daily driver.

Had the N5 for about a week now. The One's speakers are so much better, it's hard to go to a phone with speakers that aren't as good. Plus I think the One has better headphone quality/volume, a better screen, better build/feel in the hand, better battery and takes better low light shots.

All that aside, I still think the N5 is a great phone. While the build is plastic, the feel of the soft touch is excellent in the hand and I don't feel like I have to be as delicate and cautious when I'm holding the N5. I like that.

The screen is excellent. Only when I'm holding the two phones up next to each other is when I can tell the One's screen is slightly better. But without directly comparing the two, the N5 has a really great screen.

The phone is lightning quick. Slightly faster than the HTC One, but only marginally. There's no lag or stutter than I've run into at all so far. It's great.

The speaker on the phone is abysmal. I'm not sure if my opinion is jaded due to me owning a One, but the volume, clarity and quality are really bad. Not sure if this can be fixed with software, but I hope something comes along to adjust it. Even if it can just increase the max volume, that'd be appreciated.

The camera is hit and miss for me. 1 out of every 5 or so shots turn out to be really damn good with the others having to be deleted. If you get the shot just right, its a better camera than the One, but takes slightly more effort to get that right shot. Night shots with low light go to the One though.

Battery is good but not great. Getting about 4 hours screen time for almost a week now since I've owned it. Not bad, but I was hitting around 5 hours SOT with the one. I can live with the battery life though as I work in an office and always have a charger available.

Now the best part of the phone: the software. Android 4.4 KitKat is excellent. And I mean excellent. I really liked Sense 5 on the One, but 4.4 is just so damn good. I like how Google Now is its own page to the side, I like the larger icons, like the narrower font, like the translucent navigation and notification bars, like the app drawer and the way you add widgets/change wallpapers etc. I really can't fault the stock launcher. I really think they've hit the nail on he head with this one.

So overall I can't say I like the phone more than my HTC One, but for the price, it's absurdly good value. It's just that things like the speaker really reminds me that the phone is a cheap phone.

8/10

Sorry for the long read. Maybe someone might find some value in my post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

i went through problems thread and made sure my phone didnt have any those and it passed with flying colors! currently no problems and very very happy with the phone. i was even worried about camera and battery. battery is amazing! camera isnt as good as the htc one but its definitely up there with the top tier phones. super snappy.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

So overall I can't say I like the phone more than my HTC One, but for the price, it's absurdly good value. It's just that things like the speaker really reminds me that the phone is a cheap phone.

Pretty much my exactly my impression as an HTC One owner myself. Wanted to love the phone, but just couldn't since I had my HTC One to compare it to.

Interestingly, I tried to sell mine on Craigslist for exactly what I paid and had no takers. Ended up sending it back to Google.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Battery will get better once devs start tweaking kernels

Ed E Android

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

No problems with battery life for me.
I stopped trying out and playing games on my N5, and over the weekend I gave it a good test of what is ?real-life? usage for me. First thing on Saturday morning the battery was fully charged, bluetooth off, speech recognition off, location turned to battery saving mode, screen brightness turned down to ~20% (works fine for me like that). So, I used it as I usually do on a typical Saturday, couple of calls and 2 or 3 texts, regular checking of emails and surfing the net while out and about in town/cafes etc ? this included a bit of heavier-than-usual random internet surfing on Saturday evening while watching a rather tedious film that had been recommended by a friend. Picked it up on Sunday morning and the battery was down to 60%. Usage on Sunday was again surfing internet, checking emails, downloading and reading a couple of text documents plus an hour or so of using the location function in high accuracy mode together with Google Maps to navigate my way to the meeting point at the start of a walk. By 10 p.m. on Sunday evening the battery was down to 7% and I think that?s not bad. I am in the habit of plugging my phone in quite often and I don?t usually go anywhere near that long without charging. So, if there is any difference in battery life versus the N4, I don?t think that I am going to notice it. But I may well buy a battery anyway as a just-in-case measure for longer trips.
Still loving the slimness and lightness of the N5 and the way I just don't notice that it's in my pocket.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I love it. Got rid of the note 3 for it. The note was good but still sluggish. 3gb of ram was really 2.39 and 2 of it was being used by tw always. I never used the spen and much prefer the pureness of fast updates. The nexus really is the iPhone of androids

I think the screen is phenomenal. Much better than the note 3s which appeared grainy to me. I noticed the difference instantly. Sure the viewing angles aren't the best but it's kind of like a privacy screen naturally loll. I much rather some dude next to me not be able to see my phone screen as well as I can.

The camera is also fine. The note had a very grainy camera overall. My only real complaint us the speaker because it's too faint. However the sound is very crisp and pure much more than the note speaker which was for sure louder but very raspy.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

My note 3 is blazing fast. The only instance of sluggish is the long press on the home button to multitask. (I know, I could use dual view.) The note 3 wake time is also a bit slow. The camera processing is slow as well. Everything else is fast. The nexus 5 is butter through and through. I am a samoled junkie so I love them colors and contrast. Something about the n5 IPS screen is quite refreshing though. The clarity is second to none. Both screens have there advantages, but not enough for me to say one is better than the other. The n5 has a good camera. I find it focuses faster than the note 3. The note 3 does take better pics, but for all purposes, the nexus does great.

I have had the moto x, and also seem to slightly prefer the n5, sans active display (good by beautiful IPS) and always listening (I just don't really use it.) I am looking forward to the speaker update and then this phone will be hands down the best one handed phone to date!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

There is one other thing that I have noticed about the Nexus 5 that's different/better than the Note 3 that I came from. The Note 3 has 3 GB of RAM. The Nexus 5 has 2. I consistently have now RAM available on my Nexus than I did with the Note. On average, I would have 300 to 700 MB free with the Note 3. I usually have a gig or just under that with my Nexus.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

The nexus screen reminds me of the iPhone lol b and it's supported straight through google like the iPhone is through apple

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Been using my N5 for almost 2 weeks now and I think it's the best Nexus so far. I have own every nexus except the N4. I got tired of pure Android and went with the SG3 and SG4. I like samsung phones on the whole but I don't use 70% of the stuff on the phone that slows down the experience. So I came back to the nexus line and I'm very happy. By the way I did buy 2 moto X but ended up returning both, moto X is so overhyped and took Motorola 7 weeks and countless of hours on the phone to get my refund back. Sorry back to N5. The phone is screaming fast, I haven't noticed any lag what so ever. I actually love the IPS panel, it's a little washout but it beats samolead when outside in the glaring sun. The phone feels really good in the hand, in fact the only negative thing I have about this phone is the stupid placement of the speaker grill. For this price point I understand there will be give and take, but if you are not going to have 2 speakers then the one speaker should've been placed in the other slot. It gets completely blocks when playing games and it not loud or crispy. I like the new refinements of kit kat, I've then an android fun since I got my first Tmo G1, and it's come a long way, but kit kat is blazing fast and very intuitive. Not sure if I'm loving the camera flash on the back, but I think the camera is good. It looks better than the moto X with the camera fix. Overall battery life is just ok, I can last a whole day with normal use, getting over 13hours and 2:30 on screen time. The battery could be better but it's not terrible. I'm using my phone on Tmo, and signal strength is on par with my other phones, just wish I can get LTE at home. Call quality is really nice, which was the only thing I found great on the moto X. Hope this helps someone out there trying to decide on the phone. For the price and what you get, this phone is best in class with the likes of samsung flagship phones.

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I got my 32gb black nexus 5 yesterday. I have enjoyed it. I have all the perks on and battery is doing better than my nexus 4 with every thing shut off. I am impressed so far. I like the phone design. Feels good in my hands. 4.4 is really smooth. The 5 has noticeable performance difference than the 4. I am happy with it so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk