Nexus 5: First Impressions & Reviews

seungklee

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using my new nexus5 right now

Just bought my Nexus 5 couple of days ago and it was used, but in a good condition! I love the phone, it's fast, smooth, and silky. Incomparable to my old Galaxy s3...I dislike TouchWiz now.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Just bought my Nexus 5 couple of days ago and it was used, but in a good condition! I love the phone, it's fast, smooth, and silky. Incomparable to my old Galaxy s3...I dislike TouchWiz now.

How do you like the battery life in comparison to the Galaxy S3?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Coming from a Lumia 1020, and before that an iPhone 5S. Sold my Lumia 1020 last Thursday, used the cash to buy a 32GB Nexus 5 barely used (and managed to pocket some $$ from my 1020 sale! used to buy a good case, the one that came with the phone was a big mess).

My last Android smartphone was a S3 and while it was very cool, it just ended up being way too laggy and a battery hog after a few months. While i still had my S3, my wife ended up getting me a Nexus 7 as a gift which was great because i could see the major differences between stock android verses Samsung android. From this moment on, i left Android (sold both devices) as 4.0 wasnt impressing me.

Present time now, I had played around with many different Android devices (S4, S5, LG G3, HTC M8, N5) and realized A LOT has changed. Windows Phone 8.1 while it added some much needed features, just didnt run clean on my 1020 and I got fed up with all WP was lacking...so im back. So far i LOVE this phone, man it is FAST! It exceeds my expectations, Im so glad Android as a OS has improved and it shows. A great device, really defines what a mid range mobile device should be.

FLG8t0r

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 for about a week now and am slowly adjusting to it. I've been using iPhones since 2010. If any one else is switching here is what I did to prepare for the switch:

- I moved all of my contacts from iCloud to Google by going to iCloud.com and exporting all of the contacts to .vcf and importing to Google contacts
- I moved all of my calendar items to my gmail calendar. Had to do this one by one with all of my appointments by opening/editing the item and changing the calendar in the drop down...not as time consuming as is sounds.
- Shut off iMessage when I ordered the Nexus 5...didn't work. Some messages from iPhone users to me are still lost in the iMessage ether. Not all of them just intermittent ones

What I miss from iPhone:
- Lock screen notifications. This should be coming with Lollipop so look forward to that update
- Physical switch for silent/ringer, seems more assuring that your phone won't ring at an inappropriate time.
- Battery percentage in the notification bar...also battery in general, iPhone just seems to manage power better.
- I think the radio is not as good...e.g. same location, iPhone shows LTE, Nexus shows H...what is H?
- Message app...Hangouts seems harder having to always choose hangout or SMS to send messages. I tried Textra, but for some reason when sending a group text (MMS) iPhone users could get the group text, but Android (Samsung Galaxy) could not. So switched back to Hangouts

What I appreciate about Nexus:
- Google Now. The cards it provides are eerily useful. I get traffic/accident notifications. ETAs for destinations where Google Now thinks I am headed to like work in the morning or home in the evening. Showtimes for movies when I am near a theater. Directions to restaurants that I recently searched for...etc
- Widgets. So far I am only using Dashclock, Hangouts, and Calendar
- Screens not cluttered with icons for Apps
- Choice about launcher and icon packs...using Nova and Belle UI icon pack. I should probably just buy the pro version, but will I get the updated when Lollipop is released or will I have to buy it again?
- Screen size...Kindle reading app is actually usable

I have not rooted yet, but want to try tasker. I'd love to automatically disable my lock screen when I arrive home and enable when I leave home. I think you have to be rooted for this.

I would appreciate any tips or tricks.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have now had my N5 for a couple weeks now. I really like it. Camera is an improvement over the N4, its a lot faster, LTE, nice screen. The only thing I really dislike is the sound of the external speakers when listening to music.

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I've recently bought a Nexus 5 and back on Android now having had a Galaxy S3 and a HTC Wildfire in the past. I've moved back over from my first iPhone (dark days I know) and I'm loving Android again.

I really like the design of the Nexus 5. I have the White version.

Looking forward to getting Lollipop!

Davulsukur

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site

Coming from a Lumia 1020, and before that an iPhone 5S. Sold my Lumia 1020 last Thursday, used the cash to buy a 32GB Nexus 5 barely used (and managed to pocket some $$ from my 1020 sale! used to buy a good case, the one that came with the phone was a big mess).

My last Android smartphone was a S3 and while it was very cool, it just ended up being way too laggy and a battery hog after a few months. While i still had my S3, my wife ended up getting me a Nexus 7 as a gift which was great because i could see the major differences between stock android verses Samsung android. From this moment on, i left Android (sold both devices) as 4.0 wasnt impressing me.

Present time now, I had played around with many different Android devices (S4, S5, LG G3, HTC M8, N5) and realized A LOT has changed. Windows Phone 8.1 while it added some much needed features, just didnt run clean on my 1020 and I got fed up with all WP was lacking...so im back. So far i LOVE this phone, man it is FAST! It exceeds my expectations, Im so glad Android as a OS has improved and it shows. A great device, really defines what a mid range mobile device should be.

I am in a similar situation to yourself. I am currently running a lumia 925 but like your 1020, I am finding that wp 8.1 isn't great on it. I am sick of the resuming screen!

Anyway, never had an android phone but now my mind is made up to get one. Considering a Nexus 5, good to see you're enjoying it, any WP features you miss? Is the nexus worth a purchase?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I am in a similar situation to yourself. I am currently running a lumia 925 but like your 1020, I am finding that wp 8.1 isn't great on it. I am sick of the resuming screen!

Anyway, never had an android phone but now my mind is made up to get one. Considering a Nexus 5, good to see you're enjoying it, any WP features you miss? Is the nexus worth a purchase?

Hey dude. So at this point I was updated to Lollipop 5.0.1. I still love this phone today, aside from the battery life (average, similar to what I had on my 1020) its stellar...much better than when I had android on my S3 (or anything Samsung for that matter). The WP features I do miss is Glance...honestly that is it. I do miss the camera for sure, but thats hardware related and not really specific to WP (the camera is average on the N5). But with how amazing this phone runs, it more than makes up for the things I miss. All my notifications ALWAYS work, my GPS works flawless and is very stable, no unnecessary aggressive battery draining, the screen is great and OS is much more stable...even with Lollipops quirks which will get updated (minor lag but nothing like i got with WP8.1).

I loved the uniqueness and design of WP...but that only took me so far. I used WP on/off for 3 years, I was on the fence of being a fanboy thats how much I wanted to love it. But as I used other peoples phones, while they looked plain or grid they just worked...and i eventually just gave up and realized thats what matters. I am very happy on Android compared to WP, I do not regret the move and have no itchy intentions to go back like I did....8.1 was the final straw for me. My contract is up for a HW upgrade in November, so its between iOS and Android...I look at Windows 10 for sure but to be honest, i dont expect much of a change on the mobile side....unfortunately.

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

I got a sorta review I got this at best buy I guess a year ago I opend the box switched it on it started an update after it turned off I tried turning it on it turned on once after it just vibrated an stayed off I returned it the next day to best buy an got a refund it may have been my fault I aint sure the girl said something was wrong with the battery fast forward to today I see the nexus 5 is still bein sold buy google should I get 1 its cheap what are the chances it may break is this phone realy fragile? I am considering the moto x or the cheaper moto g

kissmet1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

I received the 5.1 update and am extremely disappointed that it did not resolve the bluetooth issues that everyone is reporting.

I am seriously thinking that I need to sell my Nexus 6 now.

Again the problem that I am having is that when I place or receive a call while paired to my Pioneer AVIC-NEX8000 car stereo it shows I am connected and displays the phone number of the person I am calling or who called me on the car stereo, however the audio still comes from the Nexus. This happens about 50% of the time. I have tried everything.

Pioneer is the largest car stereo manufacture in the world and I have never had this problem with any other phone (Including my Nexus 5 with Android 4.4). Lollipop has introduced this problem and there are multiple complaints about this on these forums.

Please let us know if you will be fixing this issue or not.

This is a huge safety issue for us who use our phones in the car are a regular basis.

blastthedull

May 14, 2015
Visit site

I own two phones, HTC One M8 and Nexus 5. Well, taking into account that my nexus 5 arrived after htc did, the first impressions were sort of small. I mean, the phone seemed to be smaller whereas they both are the similar size. But I can state for sure that nexus processes faster app launches, especially, the ones which are released by google. Sometimes it very annoys the new incoming call that appears with lollipop update in the action bar; however, you get used to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe