Nexus 5: First Impressions & Reviews

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 First Impressions & Reviews

I got my 32gb black nexus 5 yesterday. I have enjoyed it. I have all the perks on and battery is doing better than my nexus 4 with every thing shut off. I am impressed so far. I like the phone design. Feels good in my hands. 4.4 is really smooth. The 5 has noticeable performance difference than the 4. I am happy with it so far.

I like the design too because it looks like my Nexus 7. It seems faster than the Nexus 4 but I think that has a lot to do with Kit Kat. I loved the look and feel of of the Nexus 4 though. That patterned glass back was sexy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I believe the Moto X is perfectly hyped and the HTC as well. Death to 5" phones!!!! ;-)

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I like the design too because it looks like my Nexus 7. It seems faster than the Nexus 4 but I think that has a lot to do with Kit Kat. I loved the look and feel of of the Nexus 4 though. That patterned glass back was sexy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I did like the glass back too. After a couple charges with the Nexus 5, I've noticed that i can get about 4-5 hours of on screen time (facebook, chrome, twitter, texting), which is way more than the 2-3 (anything over 3 was a great day) on screen time on the 4.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I did like the glass back too. After a couple charges with the Nexus 5, I've noticed that i can get about 4-5 hours of on screen time (facebook, chrome, twitter, texting), which is way more than the 2-3 (anything over 3 was a great day) on screen time on the 4.
This is great to hear and appears to be similar to others after a week of use. Certainly more than they Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

I've had my Nexus 5 32 gig, black for just about a week now and loving it. I had been using a HTC one Dev edition and just never warmed up to it, and especially Sense . I DO love KitKat and a couple of the apps like the basic phone app which I find far and above much better implemented than the HTC One. People have complained about Hangouts and SMS merging, I like it and no issues with it at all. Google Now is pretty cool, but still see it as limited value until it becomes something more. Voice recognition/utility still pales to an iPhone in my opinion.
Look and feel is wonderful to me, screen is nice, perhaps not as crisp/bright as the HTC one, but its a non issue to me.
Battery has been about the same to me, about 4-5 hours of screen and 12-13 hours of decent use. No worse than my blackberry, iPhone, etc...
I agree the speaker is on the weak side, especially compared to the HTC, but to be honest, I am not a big speaker phone user. No issues with pairing and using bluetooth on multiple plaintronics, blue buds, Jambox, Bose and a 2010 Audi.
The phone is blazingly fast, even compared to the HTC one.
Signal has been as good on LTE and lower, as good as HTC one,iPhone. No issues on wifi.
Overall I love the phone, I will not be keeping the HTC one...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Nexus 5 32 gig, black for just about a week now and loving it. I had been using a HTC one Dev edition and just never warmed up to it, and especially Sense . I DO love KitKat and a couple of the apps like the basic phone app which I find far and above much better implemented than the HTC One. People have complained about Hangouts and SMS merging, I like it and no issues with it at all. Google Now is pretty cool, but still see it as limited value until it becomes something more. Voice recognition/utility still pales to an iPhone in my opinion.
Look and feel is wonderful to me, screen is nice, perhaps not as crisp/bright as the HTC one, but its a non issue to me.
Battery has been about the same to me, about 4-5 hours of screen and 12-13 hours of decent use. No worse than my blackberry, iPhone, etc...
I agree the speaker is on the weak side, especially compared to the HTC, but to be honest, I am not a big speaker phone user. No issues with pairing and using bluetooth on multiple plaintronics, blue buds, Jambox, Bose and a 2010 Audi.
The phone is blazingly fast, even compared to the HTC one.
Signal has been as good on LTE and lower, as good as HTC one,iPhone. No issues on wifi.
Overall I love the phone, I will not be keeping the HTC one...
interesting that you found the iPhone voice recognition better. All the tests I've seen are blowing the iPhone out of the water. I find my Nexus 4 to be incredibly accurate.

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I just got my nexus 5 and unboxed her. NY first impressions were: damn. I an coming from an iPhone 5, arguably one of the better build devices, and I was not disappointed with the quality of the nexus 5 from the get go. I can't wait to really start using this baby!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

m3grady2

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Sexy. I love the feel and weight of it. Couldn't be more happier with performance. Coming from a galaxy s3 on sprint

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

interesting that you found the iPhone voice recognition better. All the tests I've seen are blowing the iPhone out of the water. I find my Nexus 4 to be incredibly accurate.

Me too! The only word it didn't recognize yet was kinescope. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

thirdchild

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

So much faster than my old Droid HD Razr Maxx. Maybe it's me but the default ringtone is actually pleasant for once.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Well I received the phone last night and I think it is a nice upgrade over the Nexus 4. Bigger and better screen. The battery so far seems fine for me. The camera is also an improvement and I like the new GEL. Also, this puppy is fast.

If you prefer a nexus and are considering an upgrade, then you won't be disappointed.

I don't think it's light years ahead of the Nexus 4, but is/was worth it to me and I only had the n4 for a few months.

As an aside about battery drain since some have really been critical of it, I find it Ok so far. I am very mindful of what is using power on my phone, but that's just me. I use widget toggles to control things. I'm usually on wifi and 2G at work and home. If I'm out and want mobile data, I switch to LTE. I keep, gps nfc and blue tooth off unless I'm going to use it. And I have my screen usually around 10-50%.

But that's just me...

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

IMHO the nexus 5 battery is like the iPhone battery, you have to baby it or charge it all day. Either way it is a great device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

actually went out all day with my friends, and the nexus 5 lasted longer than my friends iphone by good 20%. htc one only beat it by like 5-10%

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Here is mine from today. Little use, so mostly standby..
edeqebyv.jpg

savantfool

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

So I have had my new Nexus 5 for a few hours now.

I come from a Lumia 820 which I absolutely love (the OS is simply awesome) but problems with gogole services and some OS hiccups have made me grumpy. When I saw the Nexus 5 I just loved the flat and boxy design with it's sharp corners.

After much deliberating, cause the 820 is only a year old, I ordered the white 32 GB version.

Today it arrived.

It is considerably lighter than my lumia. Also longer but not much wider. It is way thin and I love that. I have tiny hands but I still love to hold this phone.

It was set up so swiftly and we have the slowest edge connection ever. But it worked fine.
The OS is clean and clear, the flat UI adding to the feel. The display is simply amazing and the camera does as well as my 820 on Amber.
Also coming from the 820 with a 1600 something battery this battery for me is by far better.

Lets see how the next few days go as this is my first android phone (first was 3G, then 820)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Great post but I don't understand the sharp corners? They're sort of rounded...:confused:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

savantfool

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Great post but I don't understand the sharp corners? They're sort of rounded...:confused:

the side corners are much more sharp. the top and bottom one's are more rounded than the Lumia 820. But the sides are more sharp.

(does that remotely make sense LOL?)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

the side corners are much more sharp. the top and bottom one's are more rounded than the Lumia 820. But the sides are more sharp.

(does that remotely make sense LOL?)

Thanks, I think I know what you mean.

I love holding my Nexus 5 too, even though I use it mostly 2 handed. At first it felt weird and now I'd rather hold it than my other phone. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk