Nexus 5: First Impressions & Reviews

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using my new nexus5 right now

I can vouch for the quality of those posted here. I ordered one and used it between my Moto X and now dearly-departed G2. SIM snaps into place and does not budge. Great product, and cheap!
Will be using it with the nano-SIM from my Moto X in my Nexus 5.

I use the Noosy and they seem to do well.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I ordered a few adaptors to test out.
Also have a micro sim just in case the adaptors suck.
I would like to be able to switch to any phone tho without having to get a new sim.

Did you order one of the German made ones? The AC staff turned me on to them. fantastic adapters. I looked into several and ordered several however the German made adapters are clearly superior. Its a night and day difference. It's like 8 bucks out the door with shipping to the Us. Worth every penny. The only adapter I would trust. They don't suck one bit. I use it inside several micro sim phones including an HTC one.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

This phone by far is the best in hand feeling phone I EVER held. It feels as solid as the Razr HD but with better finish than the Moto X. It is undoubtedly the best android phone to date. Even beats out the HTC one IMO

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 First Impressions & Reviews

I'm really excited for this phone and can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow. I can tell this will be my favorite Nexus phone to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awesome!! Good for you!
Than you can change your tag at the end of your posting... Ha! :)

Posted via Android Central App

skullfreak

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Did you order one of the German made ones? The AC staff turned me on to them. fantastic adapters. I looked into several and ordered several however the German made adapters are clearly superior. Its a night and day difference. It's like 8 bucks out the door with shipping to the Us. Worth every penny. The only adapter I would trust. They don't suck one bit. I use it inside several micro sim phones including an HTC one.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

No whats the link??

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site

This phone by far is the best in hand feeling phone I EVER held.
If I had a dime for every phone that "feels good in the hand" or is "smoother, snappier", I'd be a rich man indeed. Too bad this isn't on Verizon. It's on Sprint not Verizon. Go figure. New York Times review today said the camera is very average. Slow focus, colors not saturated, hard to take good pix unless lighting is good and subject is perfectly still. They love the screen. Speaker shaky. Messaging OK. They did love how it felt in the hand though lol, and the price.

Last edited:

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I've had the phone since Saturday, after a mix up in my contract, I decided to take a leap from the G2 to the Nexus. Having come from the Galaxy Nexus, I was quite eager to get my hands on the N5.

To be honest, it's "ok". It's nothing new. I don't feel like I've got a new phone..yes the screen is a little better, yes the phone feels a lot lighter...but having had the G2 all week I feel like I've taken a backwards step. The UI on the G2 is awesome, you can do so much and this feels extremely basic. I also hate the fact I have to run a separate text app - Hangouts drives me crazy.

To be honest, if someone just offered me an out and out swap to go back to the G2, I wouldn't even think about it. I'd go. I'm not knocking this phone, it's fine, but It's not 'all singing and all dancing'.

Also, I find the battery life a bit shoddy...definitely comparing that to the G2.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

If I had a dime for every phone that "feels good in the hand" or is "smoother, snappier", I'd be a rich man indeed. Too bad this isn't on Verizon. It's on Sprint not Verizon. Go figure. New York Times review today said the camera is very average. Slow focus, colors not saturated, hard to take good pix unless lighting is good and subject is perfectly still. They love the screen. Speaker shaky. Messaging OK. They did love how it felt in the hand though lol, and the price.

Phones do tend to improve tho so smoother, snappier and holding follow suit, yes? If the camera was average with camera app issues that Google has already admitted and will fix with an update then the camera will probably be above avg in the end. I've barely messed with camera so far and I've already noticed the sluggish focus.. be looking forward to this getting resolved and other camera tweaks.

Anyhow, man pictures so don't do this beauty justice. It has plastic involed in the construction but it does not feel like it at all to me. Love the ceramic buttons. They can do awesome stuff with ceramics.. stuff doesn't scratch or show wear (my wedding ring is ceramic, has always looked brand new). The whole phone just feels high end and solid. I love the white/ black even more now. The black front is so super clean and sleak and the white on back just gives it a little pop of color and some well done contrast IMO. Like I said pictures don't tell the story (what I was hoping).

And I don't appear so far to be having wifi issues at work at least.. we'll see what it does with my house setup later.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

@Rogue360 That sucks you're not feelin' it. Me coming from a GNex I'm loving it but maybe if I had a G2 or Note or something I could see it not blowing me away. I'm sure the camera app is very annoying after the G2. As far as being "basic" I think that's kinda the point of the Nexus line. A UI that stays out of your way, giving you more control. Some people like "bloatware" others don't I guess. I don't have enough experience with the battery yet but I sure hope it doesn't suck like you seem to be experiencing.

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't say it sucks, but i'm definitely not bowled over. I've never had a Samsung, so I can't account for TouchWiz, but when I had my Desire, I great enjoyed Sense and I think that's what I liked with the G2. It takes a fantastic base and makes it better (imo of course).

I'll probably just end up rooting the phone and then having a play about with it.

I have noticed my phone has randomly rebooted a few times today so I'm hoping that's not a sign of things to come as well...

ssrini12

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Sorry guys im a complete newb to android after having made the switch from yucky windows os 7.5. I just had one question does android not have notifications where the number of messages pops up like a little number on top of the app?? Just wondering...

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys im a complete newb to android after having made the switch from yucky windows os 7.5. I just had one question does android not have notifications where the number of messages pops up like a little number on top of the app?? Just wondering...

You can set it up to be like that. For example, you can download Nova Launcher Prime and enable the unread counts in settings. You can also customize the look of them if you want to.

ssrini12

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

You can set it up to be like that. For example, you can download Nova Launcher Prime and enable the unread counts in settings. You can also customize the look of them if you want to.

sweet thank you so much for that getting right on it :).

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

You can use hangouts and just use the messaging part and not the other stuff. I'm not downloading a different app for messaging but, some people may want to.

Coming from a BB and only ever owning BB smartphones, I'm confused. What's the point of hangouts? BBs have a messaging system in which ALL messages can be customized and organized in the message console (BBM, Whatsapp, FB notifications/messages, emails, texts, etc.). I can specify exactly what I want included and everything is seamlessly integrated. Is "hangouts" Android's version of the BB messaging interface?

I had always assumed that both iPhones and Androids would have such a simple feature....and that a "hangouts" messaging system wasn't necessary....am I missing something here?