Nexus 5 problem with mobile network

Lucas Fontenele

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, i have this problem for over a week now.. A very frustrating week i must say. I got this n5 about a month ago, my uncle got himself a G3 and gave his nexus to me.

Everything was smooth, amazed by the phone, everything working fine, happy as hell. It all crumbled when I went to spend the holidays at my brothers, where he lives my carrier doesn't work (everyone uses another one). When i got back to my house where the mobile network works fine it just stopped. All other sims would work on my phone and my sim work on other phones.

I gave it a time, thought it would be cause i spent too much time on my brothers and it would be ok after a while. It didn't. Then i started to worry and try to fix it somehow. First i got a new simcard (same carrier), no bueno. They told me to restore my phone and stuff, it didn't work. The phone has always that empty triangle, doesn't matter if it's 3G, 4G or 2G.

So I came to the internet look for help. I saw that some people had bring this to the LG, their response was to do a recovery with fastboot and then put 2G on the mobile network. For a moment i thought it was over, my phone finally had some bars !! But to my disgrace I can't make nor receive calls, i can only send/receive SMS and access internet thru 4G, not 2G as the support said. Oh, if i put 3G or 2G dem bars go missing and the empty triangle ****er appears again. Still, my simcard works on every other phone but now only one carrier works on my phone (not mine unfortunately).

Then I started looking on forums like this one and a whole bunch of others and tried many things, all of them unsuccessful.

I tried many things, maybe forgot some but will list those that i remember.

I tried to flash the factory rom. Then tried to flash only the radio of previous androids (tried too many of them to count). Dialed that *#*#4636*#*# or smth, put LTE/GSM, only LTE, activated/deactivated radio. Airplane mode on/off. Tried to recovery on fastboot again. Tried to make new APN. To finish my story, put a Cyanogemod rom and it also didn't work.

So now i decided to post here as my last shot before i go to that carrier that still works. Also, what guarantees that this carrier won't stop working like the others? I'm afraid that may happen. Further informations, i saw many people complaining about T-Mobile and other carries, but I'm brazilian, so it's not one of these. My carrier is Oi and the one that still works is TIM.

Thank y'all in advance and sorry if my english make it hard or impossible to understand.

My fingers are crossed!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Your English is fine, With some carriers, once they update everything to 4G, you won't be getting 3G any more, it's no longer there (on the towers). That way, if your phone can only do 3G, not 4G (it's an older phone), they can sell you another phone. You are getting 2G - that's voice and text.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
... That way, if your phone can only do 3G, not 4G (it's an older phone), they can sell you another phone. ...

Didn't he say, he has a Nexus 5? Were there Nexus 5 devices sold that anre not LTE enabled? That would be new to me (not saying it's not possible).

It's probably just a matter of turning it to "automatic" in the settings, so the phone gets any Service, 2G, 3G or 4G, whatever reception is best.
Just my 2 Cents.

Lucas Fontenele

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Your English is fine, With some carriers, once they update everything to 4G, you won't be getting 3G any more, it's no longer there (on the towers). That way, if your phone can only do 3G, not 4G (it's an older phone), they can sell you another phone. You are getting 2G - that's voice and text.

Hmm. But my settings show 4G and not 2G... Also, no matter which one i put on i can't make calls nor receive. Only 4G that i can use SMS and access internet mobile
Didn't he say, he has a Nexus 5? Were there Nexus 5 devices sold that anre not LTE enabled? That would be new to me (not saying it's not possible).

It's probably just a matter of turning it to "automatic" in the settings, so the phone gets any Service, 2G, 3G or 4G, whatever reception is best.
Just my 2 Cents.

Yeah, I put automatic and it's only 4G.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So basically texting and Internet work and you have good 4G reception there. But calls don't work.
hmmmm ...
Maybe some problem with an app or that some services are corrupted ... have you tried to wipe your cache partition?
If that won't work I'ld try resetting it to factory and then install app by app and see if it still works.
If resetting doesn't help there is probably something wrong with the hardware in which case you will have to send it in for replacement.
That's all the tips I have for you.
Good luck

PS: what Internet security are you using (if any). Some security products have their own call protection and maybe the problem lies there somewhere.

Lucas Fontenele

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, already tried everything you said at least twice now =/

What annoys me is that if i put an simcard from another carrier the phone works like a charm. Don't know what else i can do.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
If you placed the SIM of another carrier in the phone and it was able to do all things a smartphone can do, (voice/sms/mms/DATA) than it is not the phone and an issue with your network provider.

Without knowing the mobile provider there is no way for us to determine if the issue is incompatibility or something else like the device being barred from registering on their 2G network, etc.

Dan

fernlob

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It happens exactly the same in my Nexus. It loses the Network Connection constantly. I changed my device with the hope it was damaged, but the brand new one I recieved from Google had the same issue.
I am sure is neither the SIM card nor the network provider. Till now I did not find any solution yet… well, at least one: last time I buy a nexus.

ponl0002

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Have you ever solve this problem? I have the exact same problem. 4G works great but cannot make/receive a call. Though I can make a call when I switch network to "2G". I'm from Bangkok BTW.

King Rooster

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
It happens exactly the same in my Nexus. It loses the Network Connection constantly. I changed my device with the hope it was damaged, but the brand new one I recieved from Google had the same issue.
I am sure is neither the SIM card nor the network provider. Till now I did not find any solution yet… well, at least one: last time I buy a nexus.

I had the same problem with my Samsung I'm with 3 thinking of changing back to o2

Last edited by a moderator: