Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Next question, just to be sure, did it change your launcher without telling you?

No. I am using Nova Launcher and it kept it and is working fine except for the bottom black bar which used to be transparent; perhaps a future Nova Launcher update will fix that (I hate the Google launcher- hate that card thing on the left, hate the restrictions on where I can put things, really hate the forced search bar on EVERY screen.)

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
that's nerd talk. People absolutely buy a mac over a PC because OSX is nicer, and people are dumb, and often will spend $500 on something because it looks like their other thing.

Most people buy apple for the looks, hype and band wagoners.

Posted via Android Central App

dcnblues

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. So in 2014, more than a decade after OS X came out with the aqua interface, Apple is FINALLY allowing customers who buy their expensive hardware and software an OPTION to have dark backgrounds with light text. There's NO WAY they would have done that without knowing that giving people options is GOOD. Android just went 180 degrees in the other direction, and it's going to cost them all the retard / grandparent market that doesn't know doodly about fancy store apps and settings to force the screens to actually look good.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
The new Google calendar looks prettier and is very smooth, but still does not have nearly the functionality of Business Calendar.

Before you spend the money, check out the new Google Messenger. Its very clean and fast & efficient. I prefer it to Hangouts but still use Hangouts for the text & voice message integration.

New Messenger is great. I wish that app had Hangouts integration. Because the Hangouts a app sucks.

Oh, and new Calendar is pretty nice too.

Posted via the Android Central App

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
OK with choice on the battery thing, but if they had to pick one, this way is superior, without a doubt.

On the symbols, I think the new is cleaner, and since it's absolutely obvious what each button does, these are much better.

I completely disagree.

btroberts011

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Battery is chugging when screen is on for me. It's so sad to watch. 48% right now and it says 3 hours left. I'm on a nexus5 any suggestions.

G1, myTouch(rooted), NexusS, Nexus5

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So I did the OTA a couple days ago and haven't played with it too much, since I prefer to arrive at things organically; discoveries in day to day usage.

So far I guess I have mixed feelings. The new material design theme looks pretty cool, I had a similar theme on go launcher or something a couple years ago. So it's cool that google caught up to that, albeit years later.

Animations are neat and it gives the OS a perceived smoothness to it, but do they really have to be everywhere? I suppose so. Not so much a complaint as an observation, but things do seem just a tad slower in real time, so considering turning them off, but like I said they are neat and aesthetically pleasing IMO so I'll keep em around.

The chrome tabs being changed to recent apps is terrible though and that was turned off immediately. Another negative is the pics, screenshots and downloads being put into photos instead of having a gallery like before. Although I suppose this is, like most things in lollipop, a matter of just getting used to it. As mentioned above, a gallery app can be installed.

Battery seems a bit better, although this could easily be placebo so not putting much stock into that. The new way of battery percentage being displayed is also a regression in my view. A "percentage of a percentage" made more sense to properly asses what's really going on, and personally came in handy a bunch of times.

The new keyboard is interesting, haven't really noticed an increase in performance here, autocorrect is spot on but I had no issues before.

My phone goes into landscape mode unprovoked a couple times a day, that's not cool. But livable-with. The silence mode has to be a bug, just has to. I suppose my biggest gripe is that a couple things take a few extra steps now, I don't really wanna have to swipe twice down to access settings. Or swipe down from the lockscreen to get full controls for Spotify, etc. White backgrounds are fine, but if this was amoled I'd be terrified of screen burn in like I suffered with ALL my previous samsungs. So that's probably the biggest reason I won't upgrade anytime soon. I like this screen quality and size, so I'm pretty set. Plus being a nexus I'm glad we have lollipop and hopefully the next update as well.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I could turn off the chrome tabs being treated as apps. What a moronic idea on their part.

The next stupidity is that each Google search results in a new "app" being created. Unbelievable idiocy. And this one can't be turned off??

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed that in Lollipop (on Nexus 5), the lockscreen notifications do not mean that the screen lights up when the notification comes in. I thought that was what it would do...

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm disappointed that in Lollipop (on Nexus 5), the lockscreen notifications do not mean that the screen lights up when the notification comes in. I thought that was what it would do...

That's only on the Nexus 6. Its a feature of that phone called Ambient Alerts or something.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have two personal issues with this update. First and foremost; I am not a HUGE fan of the white menus. Secondly, I would prefer to be able to see my status bar icons on the top left (while in lock screen), instead of carrier. If there is a way to adjust this, someone please advise. Thanks.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

That was a feature I too was hoping would make it to the Nexus 4 and 5, but sadly it didn't. It's currently limited to the Nexus 6.

You can mimic that functionality with an app on the Play Store called AcDisplay. Or you could root and use Paranoid Android's Peek feature.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The next stupidity is that each Google search results in a new "app" being created. Unbelievable idiocy. And this one can't be turned off??

Yeah, this one is annoying. I'll occasionally speak OK Google and throw a question to the phone just to see if it can handle it. Then sometime later I'll be in the Overview screen and see all these searches I did quite a awhile ago. Ugh.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, this one is annoying. I'll occasionally speak OK Google and throw a question to the phone just to see if it can handle it. Then sometime later I'll be in the Overview screen and see all these searches I did quite a awhile ago. Ugh.

Inexcusable stupidity.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site

That was a feature I too was hoping would make it to the Nexus 4 and 5, but sadly it didn't. It's currently limited to the Nexus 6.

You can mimic that functionality with an app on the Play Store called AcDisplay. Or you could root and use Paranoid Android's Peek feature.

It's physically impossible for the N4 and N5 to do that. Only OLED screens can turn on certain pixels which is why the N6 can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny