Nexus 5x turning off due to overheat - even after factory reset

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi,

I have used my Nexus 5x without many problems until 2 days ago when it started having serious overheating problems. It normally overheats more than other phones, but this time it is getting up to 119F (from GSam Battery Monitor) and then turning off itself. Battery drains from 100% to 0% in about 1-2 hours without using any app and in airplane mode.

I tried all the tricks I found in posts to identify a misbehaving app but without any success. I finally decided to do a factory reset which improved a little but not that much: I can use it for 5-10min then it overheats and turns off.
This would point to a hardware failure so I already ordered a new battery. The strange thing is that when it is in Recovery Mode (power+down) it doesn't overheat nor drains the battery. I.e: Hardware seems to work fine when there is no OS running. So I don't have much expectations that the new battery will fix it.

Do you have any idea what else can be done? Any recommendations?

Thanks you all,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have used my Nexus 5x without many problems until 2 days ago when it started having serious overheating problems. It normally overheats more than other phones, but this time it is getting up to 119F (from GSam Battery Monitor) and then turning off itself. Battery drains from 100% to 0% in about 1-2 hours without using any app and in airplane mode.

I tried all the tricks I found in posts to identify a misbehaving app but without any success. I finally decided to do a factory reset which improved a little but not that much: I can use it for 5-10min then it overheats and turns off.
This would point to a hardware failure so I already ordered a new battery. The strange thing is that when it is in Recovery Mode (power+down) it doesn't overheat nor drains the battery. I.e: Hardware seems to work fine when there is no OS running. So I don't have much expectations that the new battery will fix it.

Do you have any idea what else can be done? Any recommendations?

Thanks you all,
Hi , if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist.

I'll provide a link to register so you can communicate here.https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It could be a hardware failure. Some of the connections may have loosened a little with the past instances of overheating (these components can get hot enough to loosen solder). You could try either reflashing the current OS, or installing a custom ROM. However, unlocking the bootloader would erase all data, so make sure that is backed up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would suspect a failing battery as well. There's not much going on when you boot into Recovery -- no other processes are active -- so it's not much stress on the battery. But once you boot the phone normally and the whole system is running, that's probably enough to get the battery overworked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's the battery heating up, it cold be the battery, but if it's the motherboard heating up, it could be many things - the most likely of which are a failed component or the thermal paste between the SoC and the heat radiator drying out. In any case, it would have to go to a repair shop if flashing another ROM (or even the stock ROM (at https://developers.google.com/android/images#bullhead - the December 2018 update is the latest one) didn't fix it.

In the event that the bootloader is already unlocked, unzip the file, edit the .bat (for Windows) or .sh (for MacOS or Linux) file to eliminate the -w on the last fastboot line, and flashing won't wipe your data. (The -w is for "wipe user data".)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995