Nexus 6P - Blocking SMS on Marshmallow

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Blocking SMS on Marshmallow

Crosspath, just so I'm on the same page. You only want to receive SMS messages from people in your contacts? You want to block all others?
Yes, exactly. And I've found several apps that can do it, but only by becoming the default SMS client. And so far they're all terrible or at least lackluster SMS clients.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Yes, exactly. And I've found several apps that can do it, but only by becoming the default SMS client. And so far they're all terrible or at least lackluster SMS clients.
Gotcha

I have been trying to do the exact same thing. I also do not like any of the other 3rd party apps except Verizon message+ which doesn't have the option of blocking. So I haven't been very successful either.

I'm going to try the stock blocker in phone app now as indicated earlier in thread.

Let's keep on this until we find something that works!

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I have been trying to do the exact same thing. I also do not like any of the other 3rd party apps except Verizon message+ which doesn't have the option of blocking. So I haven't been very successful either.

I'm going to try the stock blocker in phone app now as indicated earlier in thread.

Let's keep on this until we find something that works!
The native dialer doesn't offer a whitelist function though. You can only block individual numbers. As we've established, I don't want to block certain numbers and allow all others; I want to allow certain numbers and block all others.

I'm not patient, but I am tenacious. I will probably update this thread five years from now to mention that I finally found a solution. ;)

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't like third party call/text blocking apps because they try to co-opt your address book and use it to sell caller ID services. Maybe not all of them. But I steer clear. The last dialer app update added a blocking option. I use that.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't like third party call/text blocking apps because they try to co-opt your address book and use it to sell caller ID services. Maybe not all of them. But I steer clear. The last dialer app update added a blocking option. I use that.
You're right, and like an *****, I didn't realize they did that until I saw my number and my wife and daughter's numbers in their database recently. Truecaller has an "unlist" function but I had a hell of a time getting it to work because the captcha is nearly impenetrable, at least when using Chrome, and you can't unlist your number at all if you're a Truecaller user.

Then again, all it takes is for one person with you in their contact list to use Truecaller or a similar service, and you'll be in their database anyway.

But once again, the native dialer's blacklist doesn't cut the turd for me.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, native call blocking is weak. I used the in app feedback link to send a message to Google about it. But I'm not expecting any dramatic changes . . .

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm at the end of my patience with third-party apps. But maybe that's OK. Somewhat ironically, while helping a developer diagnose an issue with their app, I realized I can use Marshmallow's "Priority only allows" setting to allow messages only from contacts.

So, presumably, if I set "Priority only allows" to allow messages and calls "From contacts only", and always keep "Priority only" mode enabled, that will block non-contact SMS and calls... Although, I have no idea how/if this actually works.

By that I mean I'm not sure what happens if a non-contact SMS/call is received while "Priority only" is enabled. What I want is for nothing at all to happen (until technology allows for scammers to be killed immediately via remote). What I expect is that the SMS still hits Messenger or the call hits the call history, but no notifications appear.

Edit: I didn't want to mess with my contacts, but I gave in a bit and removed my home land line from all the applicable contacts, then called my 6P from that number. It's just like I expected: The native dialer popup appears, the missed call appears in the call log, but the phone doesn't ring or vibrate. I have no way to test SMS now without deleting/editing contacts (which I don't feel like doing), but I expect that when I get garbage SMS, I'll get a notification but no sound/vibration.

This is a crappy non-solution but I don't have any better one at this point. I've given up on Extreme Call Blocker and just about everything else. Most of the problem isn't really even the dev's fault, it's because friggin' Android is becoming mega-restrictive and making it impossible for apps to control sound/calls/SMS. Very irritating. If you're going to lock down the APIs, THEN MAKE THE NATIVE APPS AND OPTIONS WORK WELL!!! Or am I really the only person on Earth who doesn't want to be perpetually harassed by random scumbags?

Last edited:

Jim Gribbin

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Have you looked at Android's "Do not disturb" feature? It has some whitelisting features for SMS, calls, alarms and other stuff.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Have you looked at Android's "Do not disturb" feature? It has some whitelisting features for SMS, calls, alarms and other stuff.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to above. There are three settings; "Total silence", "Alarms only", and "Priority only". I've started using "Alarms only" at night and "Priority only" all day. It's not really whitelisting, because anyone can still reach you. It just prevents sound/notification for non-contacts, or however you configure it.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I've started using "Should I Answer?" and QKSMS. They work in concert; SIA mainly blocks calls, but is also designed specifically to work with QKSMS to block SMS from unrecognized/foreign/reportedly bad sources. QKSMS is surprisingly nice. Not as nice as Textra, but better than most.

Combined with "Priority only" mode to only allow recognized numbers to interrupt me, this will do, I think.

Although this thread is mainly concerning SMS, I've also found that Automagic is extremely good at killing calls from hidden numbers. Even without using a specialized ring tone, it kills the call before my phone makes a noise (at least it did when I tested it). (Please note that Automagic is an automation app, not a dedicated call blocker.) I have an Automagic "flow" set up to do an "End Call" on calls with suppressed numbers. It can also be configured to answer the call first, but in my testing, that was not necessary. This is redundant with SIA's functionality, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Attachments

• am_supp_calls.png
    am_supp_calls.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 18

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

FYI in case anyone happens to find this thread and wants to block SMS from unknown numbers...

EvolveSMS is an SMS client that has a built-in way to block ALL unknown numbers. In EvolveSMS, go to:

Settings >
Notification Settings >
Blacklist Settings

Then select the 3-dot menu icon in the upper right corner, and select "Block All Unknown Numbers."

(Personally, I really think the developer could have buried that setting better than that if he really tried. /sarcasm)

SamAndr

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I need to do the exact thing that you want to with Android Marsmellow. I have Moto G 3rd Gen. And I'm sick for scam advert messages and callers. Priority only setting is of no use, You still get a pop up notification. I ve tried nearly every app and all require you have to make it your default sms client. If any one know a work around solution, please reply here.

Again... I'm ****en sick of these scams.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they say that with Android 6.0, only the default SMS app can handle SMS messages. This is why every app forces you to make it the default. I find it aggravating, too. I also find it confusing, since I know that non-default apps can still intercept SMS messages on Android 6.0. For example, I use Automagic to lock my phone if I send an SMS with certain content from my wife's phone. Also, Kaspersky Internet Security can scan incoming SMS messages for malicious links. Now, if these apps can access SMS without being the default client, why can't blockers do the same? Maybe apps can access SMS messages, but only the default app can block/delete SMS messages? I'm not sure.

But if you have to change the default client, maybe you can find one that you're happy with. Extreme Call Blocker works really well but the SMS client is quite ugly and its appearance cannot be changed. Give EvolveSMS (mentioned a couple posts up) a try. I used it only briefly but seems to be a decent solution, and it looks good.

As far as blocking scumbag calls, Extreme Call Blocker is the best solution I know of if you are not rooted. I have it set to answer and immediately hang up on ANY call from a number that is not in my contact list. I am DONE dealing with time-wasting scumbags. The only indication I have that a scumbag called is the native Android "call ended" tone that plays when the call ends. I don't think there's any way to prevent that, but it's very brief and not very loud.

I tried many, many other call blockers, and none of them worked as well for me as ECB. Some stopped the call from ringing, but did not block voicemail. To me, that's not much help. Some didn't do anything at all, and it wasn't because I had other apps that were interfering with them. ECB is not the best looking app, but it has been solid, and support is very responsive. I can post screenshots of my ECB setup if that would be helpful, but it's pretty simple.

If you are rooted, I would suggest Call Master for call blocking. I am not rooted these days, and I miss the satisfaction I used to get from using Call Master.

Chris_Kez

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I just "blocked" a spam SMS using stock Messenger app on my Nexus 5X. Evidently this doesn't actually block anything:
"You'll continue to receive messages from this number but won't be notified anymore."
What??? Why doesn't it just literally block the number? Or why doesn't Google just call this "Ignore"?

2fools

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I use HANDCENT NEXT SMS it even can block a current contact as well as unknown. You just long press on a message in the main screen, select "Blacklist" and it will ignore all further messages