Nexus One vs. the Nexus S - Kind of disappointed

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd buy one in a heart beat if it could be used on Verizon. But of course Big Red wouldn't be raking me over the coals for their crapware then, so no chance of that happening.

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
After playing around with my gf's G2 side by side with my Nexus on HSPA+, I'm fine with no HSPA+. I'm even fine with the built in storage. But the lack of a second gen processor is killing me. Also, I don't see a notification light on this device. Totally on the fence..especially with dual core phones almost certainly coming out after CES.

lukesvenn

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking the same. It's a nice device, don't get me wrong. But all the thing that is missing that was highly expected just turn me off.

No expandable SD slot???? No dual core processor??? Sigh, it's just another android phone that shoots out every week now.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I understand the Nexus name has become the quintessential Google phone, but was the Nexus name really meant to push hardware and set the example for all future Android devices? Or was that something that was brought about only because it happened to be the most impressive specs when it was first released?

I might have missed this. Did Google themselves say this is the point of the Nexus branding? Because if they did, then it is a little baffling that they would allow the Nexus S specs to only match (in some cases not even match) the current market of hardware. However, I can't recall them actually saying that about their Nexus branding. Can anyone clarify?

rockchalk2526

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Here in Dallas my friend has a MT4G which he consistently gets 11 Mbps down on...I'm not ok with this "flagship" phone not having the latest radio to be HSPA+ capable

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What I'm worried about is if Samsung will release a second version of the Nexus S with a dual-core. Androidandme's article a few weeks ago (here: http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...dy-in-testing/) had this to say:

"Testers with access to the Nexus S have reported seeing two versions of the phone which look fairly similar but the old one is single-core and the new one is dual-core."

It's obvious now that the leaked Best Buy specs from Phandroid last month were more or less true, but is there a dual-core Nexus S floating around out there still in testing perhaps? And if so, will it ever be released? Or was the dual-core actually a Galaxy S2, as rumored by Elder (here: Twitter).

Thoughts?

Pl4ub

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If it had dual core or whatever uber processor, were you going to play Crysis on it or what, geez. Current phones are already blazing fast. You US nerds should chill out and go for vacation.
These phones are mainly for new users.

I don't see any reason to go for another phone for years from my HTC desire.

mukarram1

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
It seems as if the Nexus S is just a polished Nexus One. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you were expecting. I love my Nexus One, and although I don't have any major problems with it, the small things, like touchscreen accuracy, screen size, FF cam, internal storage, motion sensing accuracy, etc, can add up, and if this phone fixes all those problems, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't get it

RichieHD#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Just because it said "None" under the expandable memory doesn't mean it doesn't come with a slot for it. It just means they aren't bundling a microSD in with the phone.

16gigs of apps, music, photos, video is more than enough. I don't use that much on my Vibrant. They probably don't wanna give away SD cards when the internal storage is fine.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was originally planning on getting this and selling my MT4G but now I'm seriously thinking otherwise. Why would I give up my MT4G? This is the best android device I've ever had. 1Ghz 2nd Gen Snapdragon, AMAZING battery life, superb build quality, 786mb ram, expandable SD card slot, customizable notification light, hardware buttons, and a track pad. There's more things I could list that even the MT4G has over the Nexus S but everyone gets the point.

I'm just very disappointed with this device especially with the 512mb ram and no expandable SD Card slot. 16GB isnt even enough for some of our photos and songs. If it was 32GB or 64GB that would be different, but 16GB is definitely not enough.

Also, don't forget that other dual core devices are coming out next year and the heavily rumored Galaxy S2 which will definitely support a dual core processor. Interesting decisions made by Google.

dodolom

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about selling my MT4G and get this one but I think I will wait a bit till all the reviews are in from major sites.

One annoying thing about this phone that I just noticed on the pictures is that the place for the home-menu-back-search buttons are completely different than most android phones. I've used HTC Desire and now the MT4G and I am kinda annoyed about this change. My fingers are just used to going into certain parts on the phone when I want to hit home for example or hit the back button. I didn't even have to look at the button before I hit it, now I have to get used to the buttons once again.

I feel like this was just a last minute thing for Google. It doesn't look too planned to me. Like in the last minute, let's push this one or something. I mean come on Google, HTC is a million times better than Samsung. Samsung has known GPS issues, I hope this phone won't because I really want to like it and get it.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Wheres the Dual-Core?

I'm hoping that it will be in the next unlocked version for the rest of us. Maybe this T-mobile version will be exclusive to them but all of us can get a dual-core next gen model with the radios for Canada too. Could be the phone that has been rumored floating around.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
After my initial reaction from this morning and reading more comments tonight, I'm on the fence about it. I love my Nexus One and maybe with 2.3 I'll be happy enough until next year when new models arrive.

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
After my initial reaction from this morning and reading more comments tonight, I'm on the fence about it. I love my Nexus One and maybe with 2.3 I'll be happy enough until next year when new models arrive.

trust me i think you will
this thing offers no real updates to the n1
maybe itll be a bit snappier
and have a front camera

but no hspa
no dual core
no sd slot(so if you like having alot of music and whatnot....its a fail)

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Looking more forward to 2.3 now that I know more about the Nexus S. It's unfortunate since I was looking to upgrading my N1.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping that it will be in the next unlocked version for the rest of us. Maybe this T-mobile version will be exclusive to them but all of us can get a dual-core next gen model with the radios for Canada too. Could be the phone that has been rumored floating around.

it would be awesome. But what are the chances? I guess all of us could dream

iDavey

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It's getting harder and harder for me to scoop this up.
I mainly just wanted a Nexus phone with FFC...

But I'm not going to waste my money on a device that is only an incremental upgrade just for that. I went from G1 to N1. That was a big leap.

N1 to NS really isn't. It's like going from iPhone to iPhone 3G. Not worth it.

I guess I'll stick with my N1 w/ Gingerbread until they stop supporting it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky