No internet while making a phone call / Unlocked verizon galaxy note 5 / On MetroPCS

dee300294

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
So I got the Verizon Samsung galaxy note 5.

Sellers instructions were wrong, had to set up the APN myself with metros help.

Now everything works fine.... except..

I can't do anything data related while making a phone call. How long has this crap been going on? :/

So I've looked for a solution, but to no avail. Does anyone know of any work around, or if maybe rooting will solve the issue?

Running Android 7.0

I earlier, was trouble shooting this issue with metropcs and they said that the problem is normal with unlocked devices brought in to their network. And we all know that's a load of crap because as one of you stated, it's the advanced calling feature that is on from what I understand to almost every stupid Verizon phone.

I know my situation is looking bleak, but if that feature is a form of software, can't I delete it after I root my phone?

I mean I know it can't be that easy but there has to some way.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be surprising, since MetroPCS is on T-Mobile towers, and T-Mobile allows internet access while on a call (I recently had to access it on a call with, of all people, T-Mobile's own tech support people), but I do seem to recall that this is a recent (the last year or so) innovation for T-Mobile, and older phones, like the Note 5, may not have the capability.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That would be surprising, since MetroPCS is on T-Mobile towers, and T-Mobile allows internet access while on a call (I recently had to access it on a call with, of all people, T-Mobile's own tech support people), but I do seem to recall that this is a recent (the last year or so) innovation for T-Mobile, and older phones, like the Note 5, may not have the capability.
I was thinking that since it was a Verizon Note, that might make doing both unlikely?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
True - the V variant did do CDMA as well. And I recall something about internet during a call and something to do with Verizon, but I can't recall if they were the first or if they delayed a long time. (and who knows what Samsung was doing for AT&T and Verizon at that time - that bed was getting a bit full by then.)

So I'd just chalk it up to "you can't do that with that phone on that carrier" and not try to guess which one it was. If MPCS claims to allow it, it would most likely be the phone. (Too many phones, too many variants, too many manufacturer's tricks.)