no more unlimited data on verizon

scottguest11

May 6, 2011
Visit site
does any one know when or why verizon did this do they not think its going to effect there sells and costemers i guesss we will all have to go to sprint if your not all ready grand fathered in on the unlimmited allready

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If I wasn't grandfathered, I would have a hard time being okay with tiered data. My contract ends oct. If sprint gets a iPhone 5for or another nexus, I a bolting! Bahama.

scottguest11

May 6, 2011
Visit site
you know these phones cost a preatty pinney now a days and for them to wont to just charge you for every little thing is just gready i think and sorry as hell looks like its time to go to metro pc for unlimited everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSchmidt624

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
keep in mind your contract ending does not effect you being grandfathered into unlimited data. As long as you renew your contract you will still receive your unlimited data.

scottguest11

May 6, 2011
Visit site
keep in mind your contract ending does not effect you being grandfathered into unlimited data. As long as you renew your contract you will still receive your unlimited data.
yea but what about the new people hell what if i wonted to add another line with data then what its just sad that there getting that gready!!

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
does any one know when or why verizon did this do they not think its going to effect there sells and costemers i guesss we will all have to go to sprint if your not all ready grand fathered in on the unlimmited allready

Is this some "new" information your finding or did you just hear about this. I believe that this has been going on for about 2-3 months.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just think, in a few short years when 4G is everywhere and we can burn through a gigabyte in a matter of minutes, those of us with the current 2 Gigabyte limit will be considering ourselves lucky to be grandfathered in to such a generous plan. "Two whole gigabytes? Only $10 a gigabyte overage? Dude! Lucky!" :p

The more speed they give us, the more we want to do with it. The more we do with it, the more we use. Then they find out the sales tool they used to sell us the phone is costing them money, and decide we can't do the things we bought the phone to do. :'(

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Just think, in a few short years when 4G is everywhere and we can burn through a gigabyte in a matter of minutes, those of us with the current 2 Gigabyte limit will be considering ourselves lucky to be grandfathered in to such a generous plan. "Two whole gigabytes? Only $10 a gigabyte overage? Dude! Lucky!" :p

The more speed they give us, the more we want to do with it. The more we do with it, the more we use. Then they find out the sales tool they used to sell us the phone is costing them money, and decide we can't do the things we bought the phone to do. :'(

I'm a big fan of unlimited 4G, but what exactly are you going to do to burn through 1 GB in minutes that you can't do when you are around wifi?

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If your around wifi.. when I bought my tbolt I wanted the freedom to use data as I see fit when and where I wanted. Verizon set the precedent of unlimited...not the customers. Verizon told its salesman to sell smartphones and the unlimited data plan to ppl without restriction or guidelines. I have seen countless customers who are trying to replace or subsitute having a home pc or laptop with a smartphone because of what the salesperson told them. I hate when ppl try and justify verizons restrictions by saying "use wifi". Im not paying verizon for wifi, I'm paying for 3/4g network usage. And as long as I have unlimited, I will continue to stream xm radio and pandora for a few hours every day to keep my usage to 5-6 GBs a month

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The point is that the phone will be capable of doing it. If I was in a 4G coverage area and wanted to stream a Netflix movie while on the train on the way to work, well, the phone is capable of that. If I was in a 4G area (which I'm not), my phone would now be capable of downloading data faster than my Wifi connection at home can.

The point is that the new speeds are pointless when monthly caps are reduced each time the speed increases. Our phones are getting faster, and our data caps are getting smaller.

I've had a smartphone for about 4 years now.
I started with a 2G AT&T (EDGE) phone (BB 8320) with unlimited data.
It finally died after about three years, so my company replaced it with an AT&T 3G (BB 9300) phone, which had a 5GB monthly data cap.
The company just decommissioned all of the BBs and swiched us over to iPhones and Androids. Now I'm on a 4G Verizon phone (Thunderbolt) with a 2 gigabyte data cap.

I get that "unlimited" is impossible for everyone - there will be enough abusers of the system that it'll cost too much. But what happens when LTE 2.0 hits the network a few years from now? Will our caps go from 2GB to 1GB?

In four years, I've gone from "I can never exceed my cap" to "I'd be hard-pressed to use my cap because I'd notice the usage creeping up over the course of a week" to "if I forget to turn on WiFi and I'm in a 4G coverage area, I could easily exceed my cap by mistake before my usage charts get updated to warn me about it."

pennywise

May 14, 2011
Visit site
If they want me to use WiFi all the time I will buy a ipod touch and an old school flip phone. Would save me hell of a lot of money

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

VZW did it because they can... Sucks, I know. I'm just glad I got an "unlimited" plan when I did.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
you know these phones cost a preatty pinney now a days and for them to wont to just charge you for every little thing is just gready i think and sorry as hell looks like its time to go to metro pc for unlimited everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phone pricing has nothing to do with anything... saying "nowadays" like smartphones used to be cheaper? Hah! I am sure some of you remember buying Blackberries back in the day... You were spending $400-500 on the UPGRADE price. Nowadays you can get a smartphone for free or less than $100.

Look, unlimited data has been gone since the beginning of July, which was two months ago. Yes, it sucks. Your only option is not 2 GB. You can get different tiers. The world moves on.

The point is that the phone will be capable of doing it. If I was in a 4G coverage area and wanted to stream a Netflix movie while on the train on the way to work, well, the phone is capable of that. If I was in a 4G area (which I'm not), my phone would now be capable of downloading data faster than my Wifi connection at home can.

The point is that the new speeds are pointless when monthly caps are reduced each time the speed increases. Our phones are getting faster, and our data caps are getting smaller.

I've had a smartphone for about 4 years now.
I started with a 2G AT&T (EDGE) phone (BB 8320) with unlimited data.
It finally died after about three years, so my company replaced it with an AT&T 3G (BB 9300) phone, which had a 5GB monthly data cap.
The company just decommissioned all of the BBs and swiched us over to iPhones and Androids. Now I'm on a 4G Verizon phone (Thunderbolt) with a 2 gigabyte data cap.

I get that "unlimited" is impossible for everyone - there will be enough abusers of the system that it'll cost too much. But what happens when LTE 2.0 hits the network a few years from now? Will our caps go from 2GB to 1GB?

In four years, I've gone from "I can never exceed my cap" to "I'd be hard-pressed to use my cap because I'd notice the usage creeping up over the course of a week" to "if I forget to turn on WiFi and I'm in a 4G coverage area, I could easily exceed my cap by mistake before my usage charts get updated to warn me about it."

I can say I am honestly disappointed in our Real Time Reporting system that is supposed to warn you when you hit certain points in your data cap. However, this system needs some serious work as I have been hearing people will get their 50% warning when they are over 75%, and they will get their 90% warning when they are already well into overage. Its rather foolish system, in my opinion.

Last edited:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am sure some of you remember buying Blackberries back in the day... You were spending $400-500 on the UPGRADE price. Nowadays you can get a smartphone for free or less than $100.

Look, unlimited data has been gone since the beginning of July, which was two months ago. Yes, it sucks. Your only option is not 2 GB. You can get different tiers. The world moves on.

I remember spending $300 to upgrade to a T-Mobile Sidekick... That's why $300 for a high powered Android phone like the Bionic will be no big deal for me. :)

Also, I recall VZW announcing the "unlimited" plans were going away. Everyone who wanted one should've got one...

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You're a few months too late into the game. Unfortunately, it's not just AT&T and VZ going to tiered data. Even some of the smaller carriers are going to tiered data.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big fan of unlimited 4G, but what exactly are you going to do to burn through 1 GB in minutes that you can't do when you are around wifi?
I was thinking that exact thing SHYGAR. When I am home...I switched to my WiFi router. When I am at starbucks or the other gazillion WiFi hotspots I switch...even when I am at work I switch to the WiFi. Between 2 smartphones on my plan (my son and mine), we use about 1GB.

Reactions: Shygar

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It went into effect on July 7th. The local tech guy on the news station made a really good point, if you do a lot of Netflix or streaming movies, you will burn that 2GB up in about 1-1/2 hours. You stream audio (i.e. Pandora), same thing. He said also using GPS which I can see, but, I have mine shut off unless I am going somewhere I am not familiar with, then I only use it the last few miles. Between my son (Droid 2) and my (TBolt), we use about 750MB to 1GB a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter