No more 'WiFi Only' option in WiFI calling?

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
This was an option available on every Samsung device I owned, and was incredibly useful when traveling internationally. The only WiFi Calling options on my S9 are "Cellular Preferred" and "WiFi Preferred." But with either of those options, I'd be subject to international calling charges.

Previous Samsung devices on T-Mobile had a third "WiFi Only" option within WiFI Calling. With this option you can never inadvertently use the cellular network while making or receiving a phone call and in turn incur massive international calling charges.

Anyone know why this option was removed?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been on AT&T and never had that option. Does seem stupid that they would remove it. As a workaround, could you put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi? That way it can't use the cell signal and is restricted to WiFi.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I have been on AT&T and never had that option. Does seem stupid that they would remove it. As a workaround, could you put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi? That way it can't use the cell signal and is restricted to WiFi.

Hmm, interesting idea! I may have to try that. Yeah, that option was available on T-Mobile phones for the longest time. They even advertise themselves that while on WiFi calling, there are no international charges for calls, like on this page: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1680

But there's no way to guarantee that the cellular network isn't being used unless you're using a 'WiFi Only' option.

I'm going to try what you suggested.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: It worked! Turned WiFi Calling on, set it to WiFi preferred (though this step may not matter), turned Airplane Mode on, turned WiFi back on, and made a WiFi call.

Hopefully this will work when I need to make calls to home while overseas, without using any cellular networks and incurring charges.

Thank you, ABOSWORTH007!

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: It worked! Turned WiFi Calling on, set it to WiFi preferred (though this step may not matter), turned Airplane Mode on, turned WiFi back on, and made a WiFi call.

Hopefully this will work when I need to make calls to home while overseas, without using any cellular networks and incurring charges.

Thank you, ABOSWORTH007!
Yeah man, no problem. I know it's not ideal that they took the feature away but at least you have a workaround.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick