No USB MASS STORAGE Support!!? Only MTP PTP?

Piquedram

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
so when the nexus s gets ics we will be able to use mass storage because its already partitioned, or will ics make it one mtp based storage?

Yes you will be able to use mass storage for your sd card, ics does not prohibit it. The whole reason to use mtp is to not have to partition internal storage space, but your sd is a seperate partition anyway.

jnrbshp

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes you will be able to use mass storage for your sd card, ics does not prohibit it. The whole reason to use mtp is to not have to partition internal storage space, but your sd is a seperate partition anyway.

i meant for phones that have large internal memory already partitioned for mass storage (nexus s, galaxy s)...

forget about sd slots...will that internal memory be accessible through mass storage?

Piquedram

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Like you just said; it is already partitioned, so there is no advantage for the manufacturer NOT to support mass storage. However, I'm no psychic, so who knows, maybe they decide to do this the hard way. Slim chance of that though.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
When you connect to your phone to your computer, an icon comes up where you can view the contents of the drive and you can read, write multiple files at a time. It's basically like having a hard drive with you.

But from what engadget and howard forums were saying, its going to use a media transfer protocol instead so you can only send one file at a time and I don't know if the files are restricted. It completely limits the phone. IMO.

And that is why I think with devices coming with non removable batteries or memory that is the route we are headed...Sort of an Itunes/ BB Desktop route like the old Treo Palm Desktop (which still would rock).

People think I am crazy but this is a major reason why I may not get the Nexus.

I swear a rooted Rezound looks nicer and nicer to me.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't that be weird if the 32GB confusion with the Verizon phone ended up being they have 16GB of internal expandable up to 32GB with a MicroSD. Only bad thing is there have been so many misprints etc. this could just as easily be a mistake.

CyanLite

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is getting beyond ridiculous. So you're saying I can connect my 3 year old Droid Eris up to my $52,000 Mercedes E-Class and it recognize and plays the files through there through the car stereo's DAC, while charging my phone and give me controls with the steering wheel--but a brand new Galaxy Nexus with the latest hardware and software can not?

This is beyond bull . Has someone rooted the Rezound yet?

I was able to put up with the 5MP camera
I was able to put up with the lack of Google Wallet
I was able to put up with the sound issues
I was able to put up with the lack of an sdcard slot
I was able to deal with the unremovable search bar on the home screen
I was able to put up with the bloatware
I was able to put up with a mediocre screen
I was able to put up with the Verizon branding
I was able to put up with the endless delays and rumors of releases

But seriously, Google and Verizon has shot themselves in the foot. This is the worst hyped product launch since Barack Obama.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcatman
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Not worried about the two Verizon branding and apps but I think if this didn't have nexus attached to it would be a bust. I held the rezound and phone like the form of the nexus and the rezound was better imho. I won't get it without permanent root though.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Simple solution, pop out battery door, take out SD card, throw it on my PC, throw in my junk, put SD back in phone. Pop battery cover back on. Takes more work then just plugging a USB but hey out works

EDIT

and I don't plan on getting a phone with out a SD card slot. The SD just has too many pros to just jump to internal memory only or cloud.

alieamin

May 31, 2011
Visit site
ahh im using windows 7, having this issue too...

but somehow some other guy claimed he can transfer files via usb mass storage with honeycomb on p6200.

i tried on p7500,p6200 and xoom, cant work. Connected as mtp only :confused:

Kobol

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If it helps I find that using the WiFi music sync that comes with Winamp pretty fast for transferring files.

Its syncs whatever you put in the Winamp library (both music and video)

I still use the stock music and video player but it just makes it easy to transfer music without plugging in (kinda like the BlackBerry Wifi music sync).

It?s also free.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so, I don't necessarily have a problem with ICS doing MTP rather than mass storage, but for whatever reason, it's just not playing nice with my Windows 7 computer. For the most part, whenever I try to drag the media files from my computer to the correct folder on the phone, the transfer just hangs. I've let it sit for minutes, and no progress. I end up having to cancel it, which in turns causes Windows Explorer to crash, then I have to restart it via Task Manager.

Somehow, I got it to transfer my 50+ custom ringtones over no problem. Then I tried to get my 200+ wallpapers to move over, and it kept hanging. After several attempts, it finally got my wallpapers transferred over. Now, though, I have pictures from my old phone that I want to transfer over, and it just keeps hanging and crashing Windows Explorer when I try to do it.

Is there a fix for this, that anyone knows of? If it actually worked like it should, I wouldn't have much of a problem with this method, but the fact that it doesn't even seem to work 90% of the time is just really irritating.

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I guess I was lucky. I didn't know there were any issues or that it wasn't USB.

Connected via USB, opened a folder on Windows 7 on my computer, opened the phone folder that showed up under my computer and transfered all my different picture folders at one time with absolutely no issues. I did the same thing with all of my music. The album covers even transferred along with my music. A very smooth process.

AWESOME. I'm lovin' this phone!

MsGadget13

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Point is, you can send multiple files in one copy-paste action, but you can't have 2 file transfers going through together. So you can select 30 music files then send them all over, but while that is running you can't decide to send over 1 or 2 extra, you need to wait for the 30 to be finished before you can send over the next one.

Basically, if you're on a windows machine, like me, you have minimal issues.

You also can do the same thing on a Mac getting the MTP application from google on the Mac. Works like a charm.

I can understand the frustration from people though, apps like double twist have issues because they do not use mtp

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So from what I am understanding this is the same tech as the Sammy 10.1 tab. Gonna give it a try on that and see how it works. I did have a bit of a time copying pics over probably because I tried to move many files at once. Will give it a try with my music to my tab and see how it works

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to enable USB debugging mode? Because on my epic touch it does mtp by default but if i enable USB debugging then i have the option to use mass storage.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Reactions: ImInfused

astroguy#AC

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to enable USB debugging mode? Because on my epic touch it does mtp by default but if i enable USB debugging then i have the option to use mass storage.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

This will not work with Honeycomb or ICS, due to changes in Android. Prior to 3.0, the internal flash ROM was partitioned into multiple areas: the android system area, and the user apps area. This behaves exactly the same way as a hard drive with multiple partitions, and meant the manufacturer and/or carrier had to decide how much space the user had to store apps and user data in.

3.0+ switched methods: the entire flash rom is now one giant partition, thus removing the limits on the user's data area. You can now add apps/data until the device runs out of space. However, now that this is all in one partition, USB mass storage cannot be used because you would have two independent systems trying to update the filesystem at the same time. End result: massively corrupted filesystem.

Also, 3.0+ use ext4 as the device filesystem. This would restrict mounting to Linux systems; I don't think there is an ext4 IFS driver for Windows/Mac at this point.

Last edited:

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Being someone who's half of his 80GB music collection is in .ogg, i completely disapprove of this new format. It's taken me over 8 hours to copy 25 GB to my GN. it's limitation to writing only 1 file at a time and the completely ridiculous amount of time it takes to write non-microsoft formats is unacceptable.

WTF was google thinking? This is totally unacceptable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174