No USB MASS STORAGE Support!!? Only MTP PTP?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't do one file at a time it does one transfer at a time. I copied 16gb of videos in just over an hr or so. I think I let it run overnight onnce as well. Could be that you have too much on the device and nor enough for apps to run therefore bogging it down? If it hesitates just a bit I stop the transfer disconnect and try again.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have to say i have no issues (on win7) with MTP, fast and just as easy as USB MS. Plus gets around my works policy of no usb drives connected to the pc.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to say i have no issues (on win7) with MTP, fast and just as easy as USB MS. Plus gets around my works policy of no usb drives connected to the pc.

as an IT admin, thanks for letting me know!

im running windows 7 64 and have to pick and choose music to transfer over b/c there's not enough storage for all my music. MTP makes this extremely annoying. i wasted almost 10 hours keeping my phone plugged in b/c it was transferring at like 400 k/s. i shouldnt have to change and plug/unplug and reboot a device to get it to work over USB.

i dont care what the benefits of MTP are, it is simply not worth all the hassles and extremely slow speeds many people are experiencing. i'd take mass storage in a second over this crap. you can't do ANYTHING when youre transferring files. cant rename folders, cant delete files, and often times cant even browse directories. you start copying music over and might as well take a nap cause it'll take hours to finish and you wont be able to do during.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
as an IT admin, thanks for letting me know!

im running windows 7 64 and have to pick and choose music to transfer over b/c there's not enough storage for all my music. MTP makes this extremely annoying. i wasted almost 10 hours keeping my phone plugged in b/c it was transferring at like 400 k/s. i shouldnt have to change and plug/unplug and reboot a device to get it to work over USB.

i dont care what the benefits of MTP are, it is simply not worth all the hassles and extremely slow speeds many people are experiencing. i'd take mass storage in a second over this crap. you can't do ANYTHING when youre transferring files. cant rename folders, cant delete files, and often times cant even browse directories. you start copying music over and might as well take a nap cause it'll take hours to finish and you wont be able to do during.

I just read this http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-feature-mtp-what-it-why-use-it-and-how-set-it and maybe i am doing something different, but i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues. I swap roms out with every day 200+mb with no issues. I guess it is me.

I agree if everyone is having issue, but some are not, so what is the difference?

Arseny

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have another reason why MTP is not very good.

If you remove a necessary file accidentally, with Mass Storage you can use any file recovery software - like Recuva. With MTP, this is not possible.

kageryu

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
There's a reason why the GNex use MTP. the GNex only has one large storage unit, and mounting it would mean that Android OS wouldn't be able to have it mounted, so you would basically have to restart your phone in to some sort of special mode everytime you wanted to transfer something, and if they did that then everybody would complain about having to reboot their phone everytime.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm late to this one, but just getting a galaxy 8.9 and expecting to sync with my Docs To Go Desktop app just pissed me off. It relies on MSC mode to sync files. As others have mentioned, it's the other apps, devices and such that rely on an MSC connection to our devices for syncing and interaction. Syncing is kind of key to using the device for work, and if it doesn't automatically sync to my computer it's a bit useless. Trying to avoid sugarsync because every time you hard reset or wipe and flash you have to start from scratch. Which is a fail on their end. Then if I have to deal with dropbox I screw up my sugarsync syncing among computers as I add dropbox into the folder mix. Just annoying and frustrating. Thanks for making it simple Samsung. It's always some compromise with android and the mfg. I miss palmOS...sigh.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
It's about syncing, not transferring. Big difference. At this stage of the game, file syncing should be seamless across platforms. They should also be local and not rely on the cloud.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Vousie

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hold on, you copy a couple more over while your set of 30 are going. It will just wait until the 30 set is done then copy the couple extra - you don't have to wait for it to finish, it will just put the second file transfer on hold then copy automatically once the first one is done. :)

RobFreundlich

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
It's about syncing, not transferring. Big difference. At this stage of the game, file syncing should be seamless across platforms. They should also be local and not rely on the cloud.

I have the same complaint - MTP doesn't support the same kind of syncing that Mass Storage Mode supports. I've been looking for solutions since I got my Galaxy Note 2, and I think I've finally found one. It's called Cheetah Sync, and it's from the same folks who do iSyncr. You can find it here: Cheetah Sync

The free version only lets you define one sync job (i.e. one computer folder/subfolders to sync to one device folder/subfolders - you can run the sync as many times as you want). When I tried it out last night it seemed to work, so I shelled out for the paid version (I think it was $4 US), which lets you define unlimited jobs. The only possible downside I can see is that it's WiFi, not USB, so it might be slow for really large transfers.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Pssh mtp blows compared to regular USB storage. Its drastically slow and completely incompatible with Ubuntu. That makes building a pain in the butt. I have to adb everything over to my phone and back.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Amier41

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
You guys know its not the end of the world! I found a way to enter USB Mass Storage! All you have to do is before you connect the device (make sure USB debugging is OFF) go to settings->More options->USB Utilities and touch Connect storage to PC. Then connect the cable and you'll see the USB Mass Storage! Yay! PLEASE LIKE and Thank!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You guys know its not the end of the world! I found a way to enter USB Mass Storage! All you have to do is before you connect the device (make sure USB debugging is OFF) go to settings->More options->USB Utilities and touch Connect storage to PC. Then connect the cable and you'll see the USB Mass Storage! Yay! PLEASE LIKE and Thank!

That was removed several Android versions ago. Your choices are now just MTP or PTP.

PaulJRichardson

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
@marcw

" i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues" >> YOU ARE A LIAR.

Please provide detailed specs on your computer, and on your phone, along with (if you dare), a screenshot of anything that remotely supports this claim. And by the way, MTP sucks crap.:mad:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
@marcw

" i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues" >> YOU ARE A LIAR.

Please provide detailed specs on your computer, and on your phone, along with (if you dare), a screenshot of anything that remotely supports this claim. And by the way, MTP sucks crap.:mad:

That's a little rough...

I have not timed myself but I can copy music and files easily between my Galaxy Nexus and either a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC with no issues. You just have to have the right drivers installed on your PC. At Work, I am currently on an XP machine that does not have the drivers installed so while I can see the phone in Explorer I cannot see the contents. XP wants a disk or the drivers available locally to install. 7 & 8 will search the internet for them.

This article may help you: OEM USB Drivers | Android Developers

I was able yo install the drivers on my work PC and can now see the contents of my phone.

Last edited:

rajsharrma

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
ok guyz i found a solution....go to settings---developer options-----usb debugging turn it on. it should be able to connect to htc sync now. if you dont have developer options then google it ...its a simple process to activate developer options. thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia