Note 10 + DeX hdmi out to monitor black screen w/ audio on Netflix and Prime video

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Using a Note 10 Plus w/ a usb-c to hdmi cable. No dock, using screen as touchpad I've tried all of the suggested solutions from googling the problem for the last week and nothing's worked thus far. Here's everything I've tried to no avail.

Developer mode on and off.

Developer mode force activities resizable on and off.

DeX Labs same option enabled and disabled

Deregistered/re-registered device (amazon prime)

Tried rebooting in DeX and out.

Accessibility color correction is all off.

All other forms of color correction are turned off in both app and main settings.

Video enhancements are off.

Dark mode off / on doesn't make a difference.

Tried changing resolutions on phone display.

USB-c to hdmi cable is verified hdcp 2.2 compliant.

Have tried 3 different USB-c cables, including the official Samsung DeX cable.

Have tried a splitter that supposedly strips the DRM using combinations of 2 different hdmi cables that work for streaming HD from my PS4.

Have tried all above combinations on 3 different monitors, all verified hdcp compliant and verified HD streaming via PS4.

Prime Video / Netflix app cache and data is cleared.

Have tried re-installing both apps through DeX and outside of Dex

Same issue in screen mirroring mode.

Ads will actually play video and audio.

Screen overlay with X-ray, pause, rewind, fast forward etc, and the loading spinny symbol appear, just no video.

Hulu and Youtube work just fine in HD, it's only Amazon Prime and Netflix. Browser Netflix / Prime Video don't work either

If I turn Hardware acceleration off in Prime Video, it streams video, but it's ultra-low res. It makes me think it's a Wildvine DRM issue, but my monitors and cords are all verified compliant, and Netflix app even shows Wildvine HD as okay in the options menu.

Streams on my phone alone just fine. It's only when I try and hdmi out via screen mirroring or DeX.

At this point I've tried everything. Netflix's 'black screen no audio' advice has all been tried. I've been to at least 100 pages from all sorts of google search criteria and tried every possible option. Still the same thing. Is my phone just bad? Am I missing something completely stupid and obvious? Please help. I live in the mountains and have a low satellite data cap and my mobile data is my only unlimited streaming option.

AuEllai

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the link.

Yea, I'm using the streaming video apps on my phone using Dex connected to a monitor via usb-c to hdmi cable. Hulu works fine, as does youtube, both in HD even, but Prime Video and Netflix are having the problems described in my original post.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the link.

Yea, I'm using the streaming video apps on my phone using Dex connected to a monitor via usb-c to hdmi cable. Hulu works fine, as does youtube, both in HD even, but Prime Video and Netflix are having the problems described in my original post.
Hi, welcome to AC!

I dont know the ins and outs of dex supports this, but just without dex and the hdmi cable you can stream to the screen from those apps .

AuEllai

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Same issue happens when I try and do screen mirror. The video will play on the phone itself, but the display I'm linked to via hdmi will have a black screen with only the controls and audio.

AuEllai

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Hmm. I'm noticing any usb-c cable doesn't fit very snuggly into my phone's port. Even on this dock i got it kind of rocks a little bit. Never noticed it when I bought my phone a couple months ago since I just used it as a charger and it charged fine even being kinda loosish, but now I'm wondering if it's a phone defect and the usb-c to hdmi cables just can't get snug enough for widevine to be happy. Could that be possible?

AuEllai

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
I don't unfortunately, just this one, but since it's been narrowed down to most likely a connection, I'm finding it far more likely the phone's port is bad over 3 brand new cables and a new dock all being bad.

skullx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same issue. I was able to semi-resolve it by restarting the phone while having it connected to my monitor through the USB-C thunderbolt 3 cable. Reason for saying semi-resolve is that sometimes it works, other times it does not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay