Note 10+ takes more than 1 hour 30 minutes to charge from 0% to 100%

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think what Rukbat suggested about turning the device off if you can't charge it when it gets to 40% is somewhat drastic, but I look at it as more of a guideline. As a general rule of thumb, I try to get it on a charger once the phone gets to the 30-40% range.

The 5% of actual battery charge left when the device reads 0 is a safety net -- but if the battery continues to drain further until it reaches true 0, then my understanding is that it's irreversibly discharged, so that's another thing to be cautious about.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think what Rukbat suggested about turning the device off if you can't charge it when it gets to 40% is somewhat drastic, but I look at it as more of a guideline. As a general rule of thumb, I try to get it on a charger once the phone gets to the 30-40% range.

The 5% of actual battery charge left when the device reads 0 is a safety net -- but if the battery continues to drain further until it reaches true 0, then my understanding is that it's irreversibly discharged, so that's another thing to be cautious about.
I agree..... In my line of work it's easy not to let it drop too low. If I can bump it above 40 I do but I go as low as 30 and sometimes 20. I avoid zero at all costs but I'm not perfect.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also, the charging tests you see on YouTube are the first time the battery was brought down to 0%. Constantly doing that kills the battery. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. If you can't charge it by the time it gets down to 40%, turn it off.

Hahaha. Dont think im making fun of you. But that's me. But i do it at 50%. More Extreme than Extreme xD.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Here's another thought for all of you who go down to below 30%:
What if your power goes out or another emergency happens? That's when you need a communication device.
Just like my car, once at the half a tank, look for gas. And, yes you could have a backup charger ( I do).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What if your power goes out or another emergency happens? That's when you need a communication device.
Just like my car, once at the half a tank, look for gas. And, yes you could have a backup charger ( I do).
Good point and it pays to always be prepared but sometimes it's unavoidable. Than I think, what did we do before cellular devices?

On a personal note, I'm always covered because working for a power utility, I have a Storm or power outage emergency assignment. As a result, I am usually prepared for almost anything.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Good point and it pays to always be prepared but sometimes it's unavoidable. Than I think, what did we do before cellular devices?

We walked a lot...... To a nearby neighbor's house or just home. We also knew (know) how to fix things.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Me personally have 3 Sims in few different phones ...but Samsung has ultra power mode if you leave that in with 10 percent battery your going into next day , I've tested it . But extreme situation I have car to charge the battery if power goes out fast charge so really not a issue for me plus like I said few other devices .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn it off Haha, people don't pay all this money for a phone to turn the phone off when their battery gets to 40%. Let's be honest most people only keep their phone 12-24 months no real damage will be done to the battery in this time.
You can if you want to, but bring the battery down to 0% every time ind it probably won't last 6 months. So that's 2-4 battery replacements. With some phones, that's the price of a new phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not quite true either. There is circuitry built into the battery to prevent the battery from completely discharging.

Even though the phone says 0%, there is approximately 5% of actual battery charge left.
Actually, most phones show 0% at approximately 3.2 Volts or so. So that's about 88%. (Full voltage is close to 4.2 Volts. 50% is about 3.7 Volts.)

But if you insist on knowing better, feel free. (I'll just throw my 10 years of battery design experience out the window.)

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, most phones show 0% at approximately 3.2 Volts or so. So that's about 88%. (Full voltage is close to 4.2 Volts. 50% is about 3.7 Volts.)

But if you insist on knowing better, feel free. (I'll just throw my 10 years of battery design experience out the window.)
I seriously doubt they'd let you drain this single cell down past nominal voltage(all the way to 3.2 volts, or for that matter past 3.7).

I deal and have dealt with lipos for a very long time. I do not take voltages of the cell, but I know taking it to true 0%(of the cell), and its probably only going to give you 3 to 4 times and it's toast. Shop, with that in mind, I can see them cutting the device off at nominal(that is what most of the safety cutoff points with lipo cells are(you may get a few that let you go to 3.5 volts), but that's it. They would replace a good 40%(at least)or more of the batteries in these devices.

So honestly with that in mind, I have gotten away from being so fanatical with charging(Honestly, I'm still trying to get used to the longevity of a single charge). Lipo tech has come a long, long way, and the old rules, simply aren't as important anymore. To each their own though..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot on the web from qualified experts about this subject, so this forum really isn't the best place to try to prove it all over again. If you don't believe the experts at Cadex (who run BatteryUniversity.com), then just search other sites for lithium battery care. This scholarly article might be a good start, based on the abstract, but I admit that I haven't read the full article since there's a paywall for that: Li-Ion Battery Deep Discharge Degradation

I'd also say that for most people who upgrade their phones every year (or possibly even more frequently), this whole issue is largely irrelevant, since the degradation you'd see from frequent deep discharges likely won't be noticeable until you get past the 1-2 year mark.

I'm pretty close to locking this thread, so please limit further discussion to the OP's original question. Thanks everyone!

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Me personally have 3 Sims in few different phones ...but Samsung has ultra power mode if you leave that in with 10 percent battery your going into next day , I've tested it . But extreme situation I have car to charge the battery if power goes out fast charge so really not a issue for me plus like I said few other devices .

But... What if your Mustang runs out of petrol? XD

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

50% gas in the tank=RECHARGE ?! That would be way too frequent for me 😀. I top up my car's tank at closer to 25%