Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kitkat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

I can see the reasoning behind this, This would prevent a virus from doing anything to your MicroSD card. It may be more limiting, but probably a lot safer as well.

Good point,, plenty of space on this device for apps,, I did not put my apps on sd card anyway. All my music is on Google music and my pictures and videos still go to the sd card.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

:mad: :mad: :mad: With Googles stance on apps using external SD cards going forward I maybe dumping all android products for any product that does not take control of how I use my files. The very reason I dumped Apple and more then happy to dump Android. The only reason Google has made this move is because Google apps and stock apps can still use external SD card. So this forces players to stop using 3rd party apps. More money in Googles pockets. They are forgetting people made the jump from Apple to Android because of this junk. Few new OS coming out this year and unless this is fixed I will be making the jump to something new that does not tie my hands to how I manage my files. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Ya right, good luck with that...

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
It's true. KitKat disables a number of 3rd party apps' ability to write to the external SD Card. I did find a Samsung app called "My Files" that will allow me to move a file saved to my device to the SD card. So the particular app I use is called "OfficeSuite Pro", and I can still save to my device, but now have the additional step of moving to my storage card; kind of a hassle, but hopefully they will be sending a patch to re-institute the write feature before the next OS release of Android.... as a result, I doubt that I will be updating my Asus Transformer to Kitkat.....

Last edited:

gavinfabl

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not as bad as you all think. All that needs to happen is for developers to update their apps.

Whilst it adds a bit of inconvenience it is securer and it means if you delete an app with data on the sd card the sd card has it's own folder that gets deleted as well. Remember to move or copy edited photos !

I'm not happy myself but there is no choice.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just for the hell if it I went into settings application manager,, picked a app (Pandora) and moved it to sd card and it moved to sd card. Am I missing something?

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thats what Apple fans said when I switched to Android on another forum =-) There is always options
Like what - Blackberry? You've already been through IOS and Android, neither one being good enough for you. Maybe you should develop your own OS!

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not as bad as you all think. All that needs to happen is for developers to update their apps.

Whilst it adds a bit of inconvenience it is securer and it means if you delete an app with data on the sd card the sd card has it's own folder that gets deleted as well. Remember to move or copy edited photos !

I'm not happy myself but there is no choice.

Wish it was that simple, this is coded into the OS with write permissions. Its going take a hack on the OS, void warranty time. Not an option for many users.

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

Like what - Blackberry? You've already been through IOS and Android, neither one being good enough for you. Maybe you should develop your own OS!

I dont get your hostility. There is 2 new OS launching this year for mobile devices and one is already out just not in North America. When companies start telling or forcing me on how I manage my files is when I dump them. At that point they become useless to me and as a customer I will voice that if I can before I make the jump, so here I am with a hope others make a loud enough stink Google rethinks this move. IMO they are forgetting why many people dropped Apple for Android. As 3rd party apps get less and less love it feels more and more like an Apple world. Google is making people use stock Google apps to get full functionality from their devices. This is off the backs of who helped make Android a success in the first place. These 3rd party apps where here to make Android worth using when there was no Google apps to do the job. Thats a low blow to peoples lively hoods. Shame on Google.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

When someone whines and complains about every OS out there and moves from one to the next...it's usually a case of PEBKAC. This isn't me being hostile; it's just a response to your rants.

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

When someone whines and complains about every OS out there and moves from one to the next...it's usually a case of PEBKAC. This isn't me being hostile; it's just a response to your rants.

Love tough guys on the internet, only one ranting here is the compensation between your attitude on the internet and your RL build. Good day to you. I will give feedback too Google in any ways I can till they fix it or I get fed up on being told how I can manage my files then I will seek other options. If you dont get how commerce works and the right a customer has to voice what makes a product worth buying, I have no time for schooling you. Last post in reply to you till you drop the attitude.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Can I ask a simple question without getting dragged in to this petty row?

I switched from IOS to Android because I wanted to use my phone as a music player and all my music is in Flac format. I'm currently on 4.3 (jellybean). To get the music onto my SD card I use Android File Transfer on my Mac and just drag 'n' drop the music to the card. Job done.

Will updating to 4.4 (kitkat) prevent me from doing this?

Sent from my SM-N9005

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
While I don't have Kitkat yet on my phone my research on this particular subject suggests the following: KitKat does in fact allow apps to use an external SD card to save, store, access, and work with files. The difference under KitKat is that apps are limited to only access, etc. files that app has created or is associated with. Thus,moving files as you suggest is possible. However, I would suggest you do it before you install KitKat and associate them with a music player app. Then when you install KitKat it should recognize the association between the files and the music player app and maintain said association. Again, from research only, it seems that the restriction of separate folders on the external SD card for each app accessing files therefrom is a form of security preventing programs with no reason to access data from another app from doing so.
Again, the above is from research of articles on this question from writers who seemed to understand the feature and not just whine about change. I am sure there are much more knowledgeable folks here and on the XDA forums, for example, that can correct any errors in my post as well as provide a more complete response.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was hoping, thanks. At present I have say 3 folders on my card. One called Card Music. My audio players are set to only read this folder. Another called Card Video. For this I have MX Player set to only look in this folder and so on and so on. This should still work with kitkat right?

Sent from my SM-N9005

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
That's what I was hoping, thanks. At present I have say 3 folders on my card. One called Card Music. My audio players are set to only read this folder. Another called Card Video. For this I have MX Player set to only look in this folder and so on and so on. This should still work with kitkat right?

Sent from my SM-N9005

The easy way is to drop the music in a fold the app uses so they have full right to do what ever the app needs to the file. Like if you plan to mod the file by changing its tag. After the update you will not be able to drag the files from your SD card to the phone. You will need to take them off using your computer then moving them from the computer to the desired directory on your phone.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
That's OK, that's how I always handle the files anyway. I set them up on the Mac how I like and then just drag them to the SD card. I'm not one for playlists really, I tend to listen to albums right through.

Sent from my SM-N9005

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
This a royal pain. Luckily pocketcasts seems to have a work around and will make a permanent fix in an update which is good because thats a majority of what I save on the sd. But is there a way now if I want to save a pic or something to get it on the sd card?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
My new Tmobile Note 3 is able to save pics to SD card and im able to move pictures around with default file manager with Kitkat *shrug*

TeddyR42

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Just received the OTA update from tmobile for my Galaxy Note 3 and it definitely breaks many apps. This issue is affecting MANY of the paid apps that I use that make use of the external storage, including doubletwist among others.

Time to call the carriers to complain that this is a major issue that needs to be reverted back to previous behavior.

I submitted a "story" to Slashdot.org hoping to get some more exposure to the issue. Please vote up the item so that it can hopefully make it to the Slashdot "front page". Google/Samsung changes to SD card behaviour in KitKat (4.4.2) breaks apps. - Slashdot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter