Note 4 What case you going for?

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Not to discourage you but I had the neo hydrogen on my Note 3 and really didn't like it. The plastic bumper piece was too slippery and didn't feel very sturdy, especially if you plan to take the case off and on alot. One time I almost broke the plastic bumper piece taking it off!

Again that's just my personal experience. Why I went with the tough armor and it's perfect for me. Alot of protection and not bulky at all. Keeps the nice slim form of note 4 too

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Tough Armor is supposedly very slippery. That's not good. I need grip.

Note 2 via Android Central App

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to get a slim case without adding much bulk but after much review I have changed my mind and might get two cases, one that adds little bulk and one that offers good protection. Looking at the uag, maverick case. I like it

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Not sure why everyone is saying this. Have they held it in their hands.

I found the neo hybrid slippery on my Note 3. Especially around the corners where the plastic is.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why everyone is saying this. Have they held it in their hands.

I found the neo hybrid slippery on my Note 3. Especially around the corners where the plastic is.

I'm only going by reviews I'm reading.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I'm not getting the Otter Box Commuter for the Note 4 is no kickstand. Although, I've never had a Spigen case before so we shall see. I can say that I found the Otterbox Commuter on my Note 3 to be slippery, more often than not.

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I corrected my earlier "error". Not saying buying a Neo H is an error. It is just that I had intended to get a Tough Armor and just did not notice when I saw color slate that I was ordering a slate Neo H. Hate the way Amazon searches work. No matter how specific your search query they bring up every Tom, **** and Larry thing that is even close. But I am adamant that I want that slate color. So I will use my Neo H till the TA arrives in November.

I just can not bring myself to go back to Otterbox. The Commuter got some pretty bad reviews for the N3 version for not retaining its shape and fit to the N3 over time. I saw a Defender in the Best Buy on an N3. In all sincerity, to me it makes the thing look like one of my kid's Leaps......just a big, hefty, preschooler's toy. I can't take that.....especially considering the sleek appearance of the N4.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

The back is sort of slick. As noted above, it isn't rubber. But the thing about the TA that balances that is that it has enough bulk, edges, curves, so there's always something to grab onto. It feels solid and substantial in your hand. The actual naked phone, by contrast, is so thin (and perhaps as slick or slicker) that it never felt so easy--or safe--to pick it up. I'm not having any problem with the TA seeming slippery. As a big bonus, it looks about 10x more stylish than the clunky Otterbox commuter I used to have on my S4. And seems to perform its protection function better, being far more sturdy and solid.

Other than adding some weight/bulk, it is all but perfect (let's ignore that flimsy kickstand!) and that's just relative. In the context of its heavy duty category, it isn't so bulky. It is a bit heavy and substantial. If you're into protection, a certain amount of weight and bulk do come with the territory. If someone prefers light and slim, trading off protection, so be it. Overall, this is a really excellent and high quality case at a super price--especially if you start looking at what Otterbox is charging.

Only reason I'm not getting the Otter Box Commuter for the Note 4 is no kickstand. Although, I've never had a Spigen case before so we shall see. I can say that I found the Otterbox Commuter on my Note 3 to be slippery, more often than not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well, if this Spigen case has a flaw--it's that flimsy kickstand. It doesn't fill you with confidence. That is a feature that's pretty much irrelevant to me. But if that's really important to you, that is one caveat. The case in fact comes with instructions of what to do if the kickstand falls off (pull the inner parts of the case apart evidently, which will be a lot harder to get on and off than when you're just dealing with the easy, snap-on pre-assembled). I'm sure it's not that complicated. I'm also sure I don't really care to start repairing the kickstand. If I were to use this a couple of times a month, I wouldn't expect problems. If it is a regular feature for me that I'm using every day, I think I might wind up having some issues with it.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
According to Spigen, the "flimsy kickstand" is a feature. They say that most cases with kickstands are made so that if the kickstand breaks, you need to replace the entire case. In Spigen's case, if you break the kickstand only the kickstand needs to be replaced.

skittlepop

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I really wanted to go for the Tech21 Impact Mesh Smokey, but the only place to buy it right now is from Tech21 for $39 plus $15 shipping to US. So I bought a Ballistic Tough Jacket off Ebay for $30. It should arrive same day as my phone. I have one for my S3 and feel it is a little bulky (much less so than otterbox) but offers excellent protection (I have dropped it on concrete from as high as 6 feet and everything works, no scratches). Even if I get the Tech21 later when it is less expensive, it will be good to have the Ballistic for more extreme usage. I've never used a screen protector and keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys. I wiped my S3 down yesterday and took a really good look at the screen, after two and a half years, still no scratches.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
A common theme that I've read on forums and reviews is that the slim cases have 3 problems: (1) some are slippery, (2) they are hard to remove, and (3) removing them may scratch the metal on the phone.

For (2) and (3), I wonder if this is user error or whether a cautious, patient person is likley to have difficulty removing the case as well as scratch the metal.

I hope that there is a slim case out there that does not cause these problems.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
According to Spigen, the "flimsy kickstand" is a feature. They say that most cases with kickstands are made so that if the kickstand breaks, you need to replace the entire case. In Spigen's case, if you break the kickstand only the kickstand needs to be replaced.

Oh, joy. Rip the layers of the case apart, pull out the old kickstand, put in the new one. :)

Of course, you could still make it with that replaceable concept and not be quite as ... flimsy and as easy to break in the first place. I am glad this is not an important feature for me in general because otherwise I really love this case.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think I would like the Ballistic cases if I could ever figure out what the company is saying about their products. I have never seen so much confusing marketing material in my life...."holsters are available" for the Maxx. Well available means you can buy it as a separate item, not something you should expect in the package. Is it in there or not. Everything but their own marketing information says it is in there.

The TJ itself claims to be multilayer. It if is multilayer, what are the layers? I am not sure I want to protect my new N4 with a product from a company with such a heavy US presence that does not appear to have a working knowledge of the English language.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
With the cases it's trial and error... We can compare an review till the cows come home... U have to just make the leap buy the ones u like an hope for the best... I get most of my cases from eBay and Amazon... I had the s3 s4 s5 and now the note 4...overall I think I racked up over 100 cases messing with these fones!! I m a female so my taste tends to vary.. I change cases once a week to match my personality or mood!

This makes me think you may have a closet full of shoes?

;)

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
As for the Spigen Tough Armor kickstand...a completely meaningless feature to me. I will never deploy it. It is a place for Spigen to put its logo to me and nothing more.

But I do think I like the rest of what they did with the Tough Armor. The buttons look very good for a change. The size of it is a bit bulky but only when compared to so called slim cases. While I don't they intended it, I think the way the case curves at the edges to accommodate the corner bumpers and the ridge to lift the back cover off a table will actually make it feel better in the hand. Plus it looks like something an adult would carry. Too many of the Otterbox cases have begun to look like toddler toys to me.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid.
It's a reasonably good case for the money spent. Makes the device easier to hold because it gives is a little bit of better grip.
Fairly happy with it. I can now wait for the Symmetry I want.

Posted from my gorgeous, pristine white BEAST of a Note 4.

Last edited:

skittlepop

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I think I would like the Ballistic cases if I could ever figure out what the company is saying about their products. I have never seen so much confusing marketing material in my life...."holsters are available" for the Maxx. Well available means you can buy it as a separate item, not something you should expect in the package. Is it in there or not. Everything but their own marketing information says it is in there.

The TJ itself claims to be multilayer. It if is multilayer, what are the layers? I am not sure I want to protect my new N4 with a product from a company with such a heavy US presence that does not appear to have a working knowledge of the English language.

I've never owned their Maxx products, so I can't comment on the holster, but my S3 case is two layers. First a thick, but not otterbox thick, rubber skin with excellent corner, side, and back protection. Then a hard, textured, exo-skeleton (thin) that provides and additional layer of protection. I've dropped it on the front, back, sides, and corners in the past...and yes, usually on concrete. Not a scratch or break. Fits in my pocket comfortably.
I have wondered if the company was purchased since my old case. The website seems a little "poorly worded" at places and they changed the marketing names of the cases from SG (shell gel or something like that) to Tough Jacket. As long as the N4 case is the same quality as my S3, it will be a winner for the "medium thick excellent protection" case genre.

*Update* FYI the TJM for the iPhone 6 plus on amazon states holster is included. It is sold by Ballistic. I would assume it would be the same for the N4

Last edited:

Matthew Brill

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes I have it on my Note 4 right now and it has zero grip on the back, completely slippery. I searched to replace it the moment I put it on. I already ordered a ballistic tough jacket because it appears to have serious grip on the back. I need grip for this huge *** phone + small hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54