Note 5 - Android 6.01 - Not able to update software or open play store

CED 1

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question -- just did factory reset on an old note 5, and then wasn't able to open the play store because it says system error. I just assumed I need to update the software but then when I go to settings, about phone, and try to select software update, I press it and nothing happens. Haven't found any other way to update the software.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that the phone is so old, the OS version is most likely too out-of-date to meet the current requirements for the Play Store. That phone stopped getting official updates a long time ago. You could look into installing a custom ROM based on a higher OS version -- the forums at XDA-developers.com is a better resource for that. But if you're not experienced with that kind of thing, then I would recommend recycling the phone and upgrading to a much more recent phone.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Try the Aurora Store. That should let you install, and update, apps from Google Play. You'll have to sideload the Aurora Store, but that's a lot less compcated then installing a custom ROM!
I would recommend recycling the phone
I strongly disagree! If the phone can still make phone calls, then it's still valuable as a backup phone. Destroying it (and that's what recycling is) is a waste.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try the Aurora Store. That should let you install, and update, apps from Google Play. You'll have to sideload the Aurora Store, but that's a lot less compcated then installing a custom ROM!

I strongly disagree! If the phone can still make phone calls, then it's still valuable as a backup phone. Destroying it (and that's what recycling is) is a waste.
My main concern would be how far behind in terms of security patches that phone is. It does present a lot of vulnerabilities.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Recycling is the only option until they give something better to do with your old devices, this device is almost 8 android version old and that's pretty old , if you need a back up there are plenty of options on the market and cheap.

Reactions: B. Diddy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question -- just did factory reset on an old note 5, and then wasn't able to open the play store because it says system error. I just assumed I need to update the software but then when I go to settings, about phone, and try to select software update, I press it and nothing happens. Haven't found any other way to update the software.
Try clearing play store data and force stop it , are you sign into your Google account?

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
My main concern would be how far behind in terms of security patches that phone is. It does present a lot of vulnerabilities.
Oh, that. Yes, securty is a concern.

Recycling is the only option until they give something better to do with your old devices, this device is almost 8 android version old and that's pretty old , if you need a back up there are plenty of options on the market and cheap.

Really? Is there any unlocked phone cheaper than 50 USD? Mind you, "backup" does not nessacarly mean "a phone which will run all the apps you use daily". It can simpley mean "a phone which can still make phone calls, and is compatible with your network".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh, that. Yes, securty is a concern.

Really? Is there any unlocked phone cheaper than 50 USD? Mind you, "backup" does not nessacarly mean "a phone which will run all the apps you use daily". It can simpley mean "a phone which can still make phone calls, and is compatible with your network".
Oh yeah you can definitely get phones cheap, Best buy /online you can even get flip phone probably 50.00
49c9765aaf6b6c3b0c52533105c416d5.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid