Note 5 not always fast charging

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have had the same problems with my fast charging on my note 5. I used to think it was the outlet I was using because I would plug my charger in to a different outlet and it would say fast charging. But I recently discovered it is not the outlet, I kept unplugging and plugging back in the connector from my phone about 5 times and then it says fast charging. It doesn't matter what percentage my battery is at, I unplug and plug it back it a couple times and then it fast charges. I think the phones have a defect because the fast charging should work the first time you plug it in.

Try reversing the prongs on the wall adapter, in other words, pull the AC adapter out of the wall reverse the "polarity" (flip the plug orientation it's not really "polarity") and it will fast charge every time. The reason you are likely having problems is that you need a heavier gauge charge/data cable. You can order one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014UP9ICQ/ref=twister_B014XLQTXI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or you can just use the plug flipping trick. Whatever works best for you. Whatever you do I would NOT unplug and replug the end that goes into the phone, this will prematurely wear out the female micro-USB socket which is expensive to repair. This is the reason I switched to wireless charging only.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was having this problem today and then discovered the cable was not plugged into the charger all the way. I pushed it in and then the phone said it was fast charging.

landyvlad

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know my Note 5 has NEVER said fast charging.

But then I've never really checked it with the charger that came with it- just been using the old one from the S4. (longer cord)

Certainly doesn't work when plugged into USB plug on laptop computer dock at work - could well be due to not enough current / voltage / whatever available that way.

I'll have to plug it into the genuine charger it came with at home and give that a try.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

But then I've never really checked it with the charger that came with it- just been using the old one from the S4. (longer cord)

Certainly doesn't work when plugged into USB plug on laptop computer dock at work - could well be due to not enough current / voltage / whatever available that way.

I'll have to plug it into the genuine charger it came with at home and give that a try.

Only the newer chargers with the "Adaptive Fast Charging" logo on the charger will even stand a chance of fast charging, the other required element is a heavy duty, fast charging cable with enough copper (heavy enough wire). For consistent fast charging both elements are required but without the new generation Qualcomm equipped charger you don't stand a chance.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

It will show fast charger connected at the bottom of the lock screen for a few seconds when you plug in the charger and it will show in the notification pull down.

Screenshot_NormalAppImage(1).jpg

bliudas

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hey,
Went to the Samsung store and they checked with their "special" charger and monitored the current/power while charging the phone. They said its fluctuating a lot, from half the power to full. Even if the phone was showing fast charge. As I understood it does not fluctuate with s6 or so.
Anyways, will investigate that later when have more time.
For now it works good with my Samsung fast car charger cable which is longer/bigger with same wall adapter.

Shaun Coleman

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Choetech fast wireless charger, getting fast charge everytime.

For wall charging. Verizon has replaced cables for free. They have failed and fast charge quits. Have one coworker who has had his cable replaced twice luckily for free,must be lucky for that deal. Cable replacement fixed issue everytime.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Choetech fast wireless charger, getting fast charge everytime.

For wall charging. Verizon has replaced cables for free. They have failed and fast charge quits. Have one coworker who has had his cable replaced twice luckily for free,must be lucky for that deal. Cable replacement fixed issue everytime.

Same here, at least the phone always indicates that it is fast charging. However, I also have a Samsung Wireless Charger S (rectangular - bought last year) which is NOT a fast wireless charger and the strange thing is that the phone always shows the same number of minutes to full charge whether I use a the fast charger or the "slow" charger.

Daphne V

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
T-Mobile, Note 5. Flipping the plug worked for me! At first I had plugged and unplugged my charger several times and still no fast charge. Then I flipped it and it worked! Idk how long it'll work, but it's working for now! :)

bliudas

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hey,
Went to the Samsung store and they checked with their "special" charger and monitored the current/power while charging the phone. They said its fluctuating a lot, from half the power to full. Even if the phone was showing fast charge. As I understood it does not fluctuate with s6 or so.
Anyways, will investigate that later when have more time.
For now it works good with my Samsung fast car charger cable which is longer/bigger with same wall adapter.
Note 5 is not released in europe yet. I bought it from online Dutch website, the phone is n920cd wich is from united arab Emirates originally (works in Europe), therefore has different power socket than in Netherlands. They swaped the charger with charger suitable for Netherlands power socket and sold it with the phone, but the charger was fake, not genuine Samsung. That was my problem, and the actual cable is not that great. That's my drama story. Finally it works OK now. Would be nice if someone would create an app to measure power and voltage for the fast adaptive charging . Would like to see how the power and voltage varies. There are apps but not fully compatible with fast charging.

ScottH323

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Go to Best Buy and grab a Platinum cable. I replaced my OEM cable and Fast Charge works every time now. I spoke to the Samsung Rep at Best Buy and he had a Note 5 also. He said he never heard or saw this problem. So I gave him my charging block and OEM cable and his phone would not Fast Charge. He was dumb founded. So I bought a new cable and it's been fast charging perfectly. REPLACE THE CABLE!!

Last edited:

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I said it was the cable a while ago, since replacing mine I fast charge every time. I am on a new Note 5 as well since I broke my old one and have yet to touch the charger because I know the cable is garbage.

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
My note 5 used to have the fast charging option, then I factory reset it due to another issue, And noticed that the fast charging option is no longer there, even at 15, 20% .... I use Samsung adaptive fast charger, And the Samsung cord that came with the phone...... Device is sprint, carrier is sprint.....

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
ok so I currently have sprint and used to have an S6 well the fast charging worked perfect all the time. I got the N5 and passed the S6 to the wife. she took the S6 FC (Fast Charging) cable to use for her work and we shared the N5 FC at night. about a month into it MY N5 FC not only stops fast charging my phone it also reads it will take 3.5 to almost 5 hours to charge! plug the S6 and it just fast charges. I got a friends ATT note 5 FC block and cable and works like a charm! I will not let her use her S6 on my note 5 charger any more cause I think it messes up somehow.

Gizingar1

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Not 100% sure on this, but I have been finding that when my wall charger is not the only thing plugged into an outlet my phone will only fast charge about 20% of the time... After trying a few things I also tried to plug it into outlets that have nothing else plugged in, and voila! My Note 5 is fast charging every time I plug it in, regardless of which outlet I am using, or what % my battery is at. (This worked both above and below 20%). Try it out and see if that helps you too, or if I am just getting insanely lucky that the fast charging is working each time I've tried. Hope this helps!

cliqck23

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
hi guys, previously i also had this problem, until i changed the usb cable. Up till now, everytime i charge my phone, its on fast charging mode. Just try to change the cable and hopefully it works for you as well.

DCMay522

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks goodness for forums. I just noticed, thanks to the help of you all, that my charger that came with my phone (fast adaptive charger) fast charges sometimes and cable charges at other times. I was sitting around complaining for the last two days about how is 2 hrs and 48 mins fast charging, when in actuality I should have read the screen because it said CABLE CHARGING, so I unplugged and plugged it back in maybe 3 times, then behold....it went from cable charging to fast charging and went from 39% to 82% in a matter of minutes! Crazy, i didnt know that this charger "cycled down" fast charging abilities at times, but I will keep an eye on it from here on out. Thanks guys!

chechelady

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000