Note 7 - Battery Issue (Discussion Here)

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: New Note 7s not going on sale until late Oct??? Link inside.

That's one reason I am hesitant to refund it - I don't want an S7. I bought the Note for a reason. I also don't want to be pushed to the back of the line when the new ones do start coming in. It's not going to be another pre-order.
I have no use for an iPhone. Not willing to change my whole ecosystem to Apple. Besides the better audio on the V20, I don't see the allure there, either. The camera "shootout" with the Note7 had mixed results. I want a big screen, great camera and something powerful. If I do get the new Note7 and it has the same crappy signal reception, I will try a sim swap first. After that, if it doesn't improve, I may have to cut bait and move on. I went down a 3-4 mile stretch of road this morning with no connection. Inexcusable for this level of phone.

You know something funny though, I noticed that my Note7 has more signal without the SIM in it than when I was using it. I have to get the new SIM activated from AT&T and test that out. But I've already wiped the phone and put it back in the box. I don't want to invest any more time in the device since I am just going to give it back, so I am waiting for the new ones to come in and I'll set it back up and test that one rather than waste all that time.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I mentioned in another post that I think they stay "in style" longer is because they aren't "left for dead" by manufacturers and carriers after they are released and the new ones come out next year... Apple constantly pushes out updates/patch fixes throughout the year and you know you are going to get the next iOS version pretty much when the next years phone comes out... and the year after that... and the year after that. That's why they can sell and you can still be rocking a 5s alongside the 6's and 7's because besides some tech differences, will still perform like a champ.

Spec wise dunno if they lag... the A10 30-40% faster than A9? Battery 2 hours better and those suckers have great battery. Stereo, new camera, water resistance. Screen not Amoled but has been updated brighter and improved color gamut. It should be future proof to handle the next three years of iOS updates and run well I am guessing. I'm not an audiophile so not gonna miss the jack. New headphones will be firewire so maybe with digital connection the music will sound even better and aftermarket will follow/support. I'm a BT guy since I run 12-20 miles a week.

Good thing is the Iphones don't go out of style as fast. Even the 6 is still considered pretty current with a lot of people using them. Their phones seem to stay current longer even though specs wise they lag behind Samsung Galaxy.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: I have to recant now and do a major back flip

Let me say that my country is small and Note 7 users are probably just a very small % of the total. If a big company like Samsung can't regulate their servers to cater for a prearranged program, I dun know what to say.

It's still out of Samsung's control. I get it you're frustrated and angry. Calm down, it will be alright. Everything will work out and you will be able to get the phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I mentioned in another post that I think they stay "in style" longer is because they aren't "left for dead" by manufacturers and carriers after they are released and the new ones come out next year... Apple constantly pushes out updates/patch fixes throughout the year and you know you are going to get the next iOS version pretty much when the next years phone comes out... and the year after that... and the year after that. That's why they can sell and you can still be rocking a 5s alongside the 6's and 7's because besides some tech differences, will still perform like a champ.

Spec wise dunno if they lag... the A10 30-40% faster than A9? Battery 2 hours better and those suckers have great battery. Stereo, new camera, water resistance. Screen not Amoled but has been updated brighter and improved color gamut. It should be future proof to handle the next three years of iOS updates and run well I am guessing. I'm not an audiophile so not gonna miss the jack. New headphones will be firewire so maybe with digital connection the music will sound even better and aftermarket will follow/support. I'm a BT guy since I run 12-20 miles a week.

If indeed the Note 7 won't be in until Oct for us to swap, and they don't extend return deadling and I'm forced to return it, do you think the Iphone 7 Plus will still be on backorder at the end of the month and maybe until middle of Oct? Do you think stores will get more 7 pluses in sooner? The s7 screen I'm using is just too tiny and I can't stand it.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

It's still out of Samsung's control. I get it you're frustrated and angry. Calm down, it will be alright. Everything will work out and you will be able to get the phone.
We have a nation of angry Note 7 users. You should see how Samsung's FB is being bombarded, until they dun dare to reply anything lol. You can bet Samsung has lost a lot of fans here, but maybe they dun care as we are small.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Honestly after the replacements its gonna die down.
A lot of phones have exploded and made publicly known, its just that in this case the Note 7 is more public than others...at the end of the day, once replaced I'm sure people's nerves will settle

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Dunno... Read Apple definitely has said they will have a supply issue. But whether they will have it smoothed out in 4 weeks? Guess we'll see how hot the launch is next week.

If indeed the Note 7 won't be in until Oct for us to swap, and they don't extend return deadling and I'm forced to return it, do you think the Iphone 7 Plus will still be on backorder at the end of the month and maybe until middle of Oct? Do you think stores will get more 7 pluses in sooner? The s7 screen I'm using is just too tiny and I can't stand it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It will bounce back. The thing is only 24 out of a million had issue? And from what I understand, only the Vietnamese manufactured battery's affected. Good on Samsung recalling.

24 confirmed as of the day they announced the recall, was 35 by the end of the next day, not sure what the number is now. The million devices also includes a ton, potentially more than half, that were unused in unopened boxes at that time. It's 100% of the phones not being manufactured for sale within China that are affected. The Made in China stamp there doesn't apply because it is referring to the location of the bulk of the manufacturing process and not the location that the battery itself was sourced from. Only the phones that are made in China to be sold in China are immune because China refused to certify SDI and LG batteries for use in devices sold there. As an example, the T-Mobile Note 7's are apparently made in China, but still have the same batteries that are defective.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

We have a nation of angry Note 7 users. You should see how Samsung's FB is being bombarded, until they dun dare to reply anything lol. You can bet Samsung has lost a lot of fans here, but maybe they dun care as we are small.

The internet has made people more vocal about their anger, even though sometimes it is irrational. Just because you see someone else giving into their baseless anger, educate them. It's okay to be frustrated. angry, annoyed, whatever... But shouting doom and gloom down the ears of those who would listen just makes the person sound deluded, for lack of a better word.

The recall, why inconvenient, is easily the best plan they've done to handle this. If not, the news we'd be getting will be far different, and more devastating to Samsung's brand.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It has already sold millions. This will hurt sales for sure, but it will still sell more than any smartphone not named iPhone or Galaxy S this year i bet.

It's all negative now. It will be mostly positive a month from now. I can definitely understand those who don't see it that way though.

This ^^

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

The internet has made people more vocal about their anger, even though sometimes it is irrational. Just because you see someone else giving into their baseless anger, educate them. It's okay to be frustrated. angry, annoyed, whatever... But shouting doom and gloom down the ears of those who would listen just makes the person sound deluded, for lack of a better word.

The recall, why inconvenient, is easily the best plan they've done to handle this. If not, the news we'd be getting will be far different, and more devastating to Samsung's brand.
I mean the least they can do is to ensure their website can handle the known traffic and ensure the process is smooth. It's not a two hours sudden decision, it's more than a week of preparation till today. And yet the website is still not functioning well right till this time, 11 hrs after it started.

It is not baseless anger.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Typical for the media and our culture to knee jerk without even verifying the incidents happened as stated. Gizmodo helped push this and got the media and FAA listening and Apple thanks them. I turn my phone off on planes anyway, so no harm no foul.

The Note 7 is an outstanding device, but agree that the media and hysteria has done it's thing and the Note 7 could likely sell half of what should have. No offense, but it is issues like this that fit a bunch of people falling for a radio broadcast of an actual alien invasion. War of the Worlds redux. JMO

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Another battery fire that gets Jeep too!

Looks like another cash grab just like the Firefighter with the garage fire.

Guy must have had a full 5 gallon gas can on the front seat at the same time.

I'm sure both of these claims already have ambulance chasing lawyers on the case. :p

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Dunno... Read Apple definitely has said they will have a supply issue. But whether they will have it smoothed out in 4 weeks? Guess we'll see how hot the launch is next week.
Apple always has supply issues. Apple has to do this on purpose to drive up wants demand. They should be prepared for heavy demand on launch.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Another battery fire that gets Jeep too!

Looks like another cash grab just like the Firefighter with the garage fire.

Guy must have had a full 5 gallon gas can on the front seat at the same time.

I'm sure both of these claims already have ambulance chasing lawyers on the case. :p

I agree. Something apparently not adding up, but will feed the hysteria none the less. People state Samsung did the right thing, but I think the manner they communicated the recall has created ambiguity that has fed the media with all the subjective fodder they need. The recall afforded discretion to their retail partners which suggests the issue might not be as bad as the apparent hysteria suggests.

Their retail partners had the Note 7 recall discussions with Samsung, but the media and posters on forums did not. Wonder why the retailers appear less concerned even though they are aware of the litigious culture? Probably a reason for that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

It's not over yet but it's close. The US has all but banned the phone for plane travel. You can't turn it on during flight. If the US and other countries do a complete ban of note 7 on flights then it will be over. I know Samsung can fix the issue but once more governments start banning the phones for flight it's over. Governments are usually pretty quick to ban something that takes up headlines but they are a lot slower at unbanning. At that point it might not be worth it for Samsung to convince these countries to change their minds and just take the loss.
They are leaving the decision up to individual airlines right now.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

If the many auto makers that have issued recalls from various issues like faulty brakes, ignitions that may cause fires, spontaneous total power loss, etc, can recover, so can Samsung phones.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Laughable to ban these phones from flights. Next week people will have their replacements. How are they going to determine what is an old one and what is a new one?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Is it because of the battery made by Samsung? I remember reading some articles saying it was due to components issues there will be a shortage.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

If GM, Toyota, Honda etc can whether the recall storms of people actually dying as a result of their products then I think Samsung and the Note 7 can handle it.

Once the next "disaster of the week" gets shoved down John Q. Public's pea sized brain by the media train all will be forgotten and no one will remember this hiccup. The only people that will remember are us techno-geeks and we are a pretty small percentage of the total sales figure I'd guess.

Just my opinion.