Note 7 - Battery Issue (Discussion Here)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Note 7s not going on sale until late Oct??? Link inside.

I hope they extend the sept 30th deadling then if the Notes are not in. Would really suck having to return, and then pre order the whole think again late in Oct because they won't let me swap out. Iphone also probably won't ship until Oct now too same with V20 no date but just says later in the fall.

Not saying the S7 is junk, but compared to Note 7 it doesn't compare. Almost saying screw it and return it all and stick with S7 and just buy another AR or pistol with the money which doesn't go out of style.

That's one reason I am hesitant to refund it - I don't want an S7. I bought the Note for a reason. I also don't want to be pushed to the back of the line when the new ones do start coming in. It's not going to be another pre-order.
I have no use for an iPhone. Not willing to change my whole ecosystem to Apple. Besides the better audio on the V20, I don't see the allure there, either. The camera "shootout" with the Note7 had mixed results. I want a big screen, great camera and something powerful. If I do get the new Note7 and it has the same crappy signal reception, I will try a sim swap first. After that, if it doesn't improve, I may have to cut bait and move on. I went down a 3-4 mile stretch of road this morning with no connection. Inexcusable for this level of phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

That's one reason I am hesitant to refund it - I don't want an S7. I bought the Note for a reason. I also don't want to be pushed to the back of the line when the new ones do start coming in. It's not going to be another pre-order.
I have no use for an iPhone. Not willing to change my whole ecosystem to Apple. Besides the better audio on the V20, I don't see the allure there, either. The camera "shootout" with the Note7 had mixed results. I want a big screen, great camera and something powerful. If I do get the new Note7 and it has the same crappy signal reception, I will try a sim swap first. After that, if it doesn't improve, I may have to cut bait and move on. I went down a 3-4 mile stretch of road this morning with no connection. Inexcusable for this level of phone.

My signal is fine on my Note. Then again I live in Florida where most of the state is flat. Even in my town I moved to a year ago didn't have the greatest tmobile coverage and it has improved.

This is why I'd rather swap. Either way if I go Iphone plus or Note I'm stuck waiting until Oct probably now.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

This is probably accurate but Im pretty sure the recall exchanges are gonna be able to be done within the next week and their probably giving themselves that buffer so they can have enough time to get all exchanges done before it goes on sale again

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: I have to recant now and do a major back flip

Not most phones...Just Android phones in general... excluding Nexus phones.

I bought an iPhone 4s new at launch and sold it to a buddy that needed a phone before getting a Nexus 4... he's still rocking the phone! Basically tells ya he's cheap lol... but the phone up to recently has been getting all the updates to stay relevant and useful. I have an iPad 2 bought new... I just got final iOS 10 update pushed to it since I was beta testing it. Released 2011 and still rocking the latest software as the newest... Not as fast but not slow. That's a value-add to a product. I gave my iPad 1 to my dad and that's painfully slow due to hardware being unable to keep up now... but still has iOS 9 and he's able to email facebook and browse a little.

What makes the Android "dead" or "obsolete" after the new one comes out next year... I don't call it dead/obsolete... I say more that an Android phone is "left for dead" after it's released because when I had my G2 and G3, I knew that I might be lucky to get some small update to address a bug when a phone comes out but mainly you are stuck with whatever was loaded at release until maybe a year and a half later you might get an update to the next OS. But after that, you're SOL. The carriers don't even care about it anymore and leaves it for dead. Kills resale value IMO because how much is a year old Android with outdated software compared to a Iphone same age with the latest OS updates and will most likely still be updated in next year or two.

I think that's it's a major reason iPhones hold such value. How much is that $900-$1000 phone worth in a year with last year's OS? The Note 4 is just NOW finally getting Marshmellow I think I read?! Google really needs to fix that.

Apart from resale value...does it really matter? Most phones become "dead" the moment they're released anyway: developers are already well on their way (or should be) towards producing a succeeding product which will render the current one obsolete. So your phone's old news the day after you buy it, whether it's a sales hit or not.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Welp glad I got my money back. Whole thing is starting to become a mess.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll probably talk to my local store this morning and try to get a sense of the time frame. If I sense it's getting close (within a week or so), I'll just check back in with them every couple days or so. Maybe, they will have a "waiting list" of some kind to call people when they get new ones in stock to replace those before they put them on sale to the general public again.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

My signal is fine on my Note. Then again I live in Florida where most of the state is flat. Even in my town I moved to a year ago didn't have the greatest tmobile coverage and it has improved.

This is why I'd rather swap. Either way if I go Iphone plus or Note I'm stuck waiting until Oct probably now.
If you are so against using your S7 then just go back to the Note 7 you already have. You mentioned that you just boxed it up. I would be more worried about giving yourself a nervous breakdown over this rather than a miniscule chance that your phone might have a problem...

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

I now recant and am doing a back flip. The Note 7 is a write off. The media here in Australia has reported tonight that Australian airlines have banned the use of the Note 7 and also reported the alleged fire of a Jeep in America from charging one.

Samsung will be closely monitoring the investigation on the fire (which is extremely questionable), and if its found that it is a fraudulent report ( the allegation Note 7 was the cause of the fire) Samsung will be quick to bring that to light. (If they don't stress out and do some kind of out of court settlement before the investigation is concluded).
As soon as the replacements are out and available they'll submit an appeal to the Australian Airlines, and I wouldn't be surprised in the meantime (before the ban is appealed) if they come out with some type of identification system (like a tag or sticker) that new version Note7 users are given when they check in at the airline gate that gives permission for use and charging on the planes. If Samsung is smart they'll then make sure media outlets broadcast the change, method of identification, and allowance of the Note7 on flights again.

I don't know if Samsung (or any of their Australian carriers) would do it, but I think it would be smart and funny if they opened up temporary stores, or kiosks in the major Australian airports where people could trade in their old Note 7s for new ones.

Like is the case with most publicity (good and bad) many people have short term memories, and many (non-current Note7 owners) will forget all about anything they may have heard about the Note7 problems (if they haven't already :p). Unless you've owned a phone in the past that was also recalled would you be able to name one (without searching it out on the Internet)? There will be a time when the only select people (those of us that own(ed) current Note7, people who may have reported on the recall, and people who work for companies effected by the recall (Samsung, carriers, Australian Airlines, fire investigators, etc) will be the only ones who remember that there was a Note 7 recall.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Woke up this morning picked my note 7 up off the wirless charger & previewing this thread , no way I would even consider any other phone.
Not even checking the store today will wait until one day next week.
I do need to find a Dunkin donut store today to use Samsung pay with my gift Card.

Ooh and its a Tylt wireless charger regular speed with fast charge disabled on the phone .I normally do that anyway it's better on the battery in the phone

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I think regulatory bodies are won't let the bans linger... Once the replacement units are in the hands of users and the recall is underway.. at least here in the FAA, if they continue the 'ban' after the recall, Samsung will quickly try to get some sort of injunction and most likely get it. They'll argue that the post-recall phones are just as safe as any other phone on the market, and show examples of a ton of other phones suffering battery failures. So if they want to keep banning the Note 7, they'll have to ban ALL devices with LiPo batteries.... which won't happen.

This is a temporary thing... the Note 7 isn't 'dead' nor is Samsung going to write it off.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Late October... let's say November. Then you can think... All I have to do is wait a few months and the S8 will be out in February and sounds like the S8 will have the full edge body and all the latest hardware. If you don't really care about Spen then an S8 Plus may be the ticket.

Galaxy S8: New report points to twin edge-screen flagships for 2017 | Android Central

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Late October... let's say November. Then you can think... All I have to do is wait a few months and the S8 will be out in February and sounds like the S8 will have the full edge body and all the latest hardware. If you don't really care about Spen then an S8 Plus may be the ticket.

Galaxy S8: New report points to twin edge-screen flagships for 2017 | Android Central
Yes after all this settles the new phones will come out in 2017 and we will all be disappointed

I do like the s pen dont use a lot but a great feature

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Samsung officially confirmed that Australia is getting theirs on September 21, so im expecting the U.S. to get theirs earlier than that

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Ok I can say this. Do not use cheap cables or a different block to charge. Mine heated up like crazy on the first day cause of my old note 3 cable. I handed all those off to my kids cause they can use them. I bought 3 usb c cables at Verizon that work for charging but not data transfer. The pin out on some micro usb cables are wrong for the Note 7 adapter. Checked all the cables to make sure the charging pin is right. Note 5 cables are ok for charging and data transfer. Looks like someone didn't account for saftey on aftermarket cables. Look at that battery usage at the end of the day b4 u charge. That dip to 0% and back up is a big no no. It should never do that. If it does shut it down and take it back! I dont think this is all a battery issue. I really think they forgot to put in some sort of safety against bad cables too.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I would consider the Edge if it is large size like the Note. No way I'm going to a smaller screen especially as small as the S7. I can't even really function with the small screen. I don't have huge fat fingers but the small buttons make it a pain to type. I really am hating this experience going from a Note to an S7.

I doubt the S7 Edge will differ much from the Note 7 other than they will add Iris scanner and maybe slightly faster processor. If they're all edge it will be a pain finding Defender style cases. Otterbox back in early Aug finally made a Defender for the Edge but it has issues. They're having issues making one for the Note 7 too. At least they have generic defender type cases for the Edge now.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Unofficially the 16th for US

Who knows. Some people asked ATT Sprint stores and they said end of the week. The whole thing is a big cluster. I'd much rather have one shipped to me and I ship mine back.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Good thing is the Iphones don't go out of style as fast. Even the 6 is still considered pretty current with a lot of people using them. Their phones seem to stay current longer even though specs wise they lag behind Samsung Galaxy.