Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just a Thought

As I see all these posts and countless new threads, I wonder something. Why are people so willing to take unknown people's words and get rid of their phones? Many of the previous stories have already been proven false, so what's the deal? Why not at least wait until Samsung gives an official statement? The internet and news hungry media has really changed things in my opinion. I was a mechanic at a dealership before and people barely cared about actual life threatening safety recalls, but this phone thing has people feeling like their actually carrying a bomb in their pockets.

My job requires that from time to time I travel, it used to be 100% of the time but I've moved into a position that thankfully doesn't require that. However I know without a doubt that the airlines are cracking down even more heavily against the N7 and one of my colleagues said at one of his recent airport visits an announcement was made that N7's needed to be powered down and stored in your carry on luggage. (ie. for the duration of your airport visit) If I've got a device that I use to contact my work, my family, etc... that I have to keep powered off and stowed away while I'm at an airport for at least 2 -3 hours prior to my flight, after my flight while we taxi to the gate and until I get into my rental to leave the property, what good comes in keeping this device?

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Safety is definitely paramount. But I think what this thread means is at least wait for Samsung to officially acknowledge that there are still issue with the replaced phones and we can close the episode in peace. Rather than just listening to all these stories which suddenly started coming in in bulk since last Wed although replacement had took place for a few weeks already. How hard is it to intentionally make the phone catch fire, post some video or pic of the burned phone and come up with an innocent story to post on the media?

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: wonder how many have burned while in store?

This is purely speculation on my part. I suspect that some, if not all, of these new cases are from people who keep their phones in their back pocket. We know at least one was.

Battery compression was found to be an issue in the original recall. I can see how sitting on the phone could cause this problem to continue.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to see what Samsung's response is. I'm staying with the note unless they axe it. Perhaps they will offer some incentive to keep customers. I'd take a free S7E if the N7 gets cancelled. Might seem crazy but wouldn't be surprised if they do it.

"We are temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters."

That's what they said to techradar, so I doubt they intend to axe it unless it gets really bad. We still don't know why replacement phones have issues, which would obviously determine their response.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Sigh... I guess hope for direct sale through Samsung.com or something... some indirect method. But hey then if that way no bloat and more direct updates :) it would be a cult phone for sure.
Don't go that route through Samsung.com. For those of us who did it's been a fiasco..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't go that route through Samsung.com. For those of us who did it's been a fiasco..
That and the unlocked version hasn't been getting consistent updates, while carrier versions do. But if it becomes the only way to get one, some will have to deal with that.

Does anyone know if the unlocked one supports Verizon WiFi calling and LTE-A?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Somethings wrong when you buy a phone from a manufacturer and updates are faster through carrier and on the flip side with news I hear about the pixel if you buy from Verizon directly that updates have to go through and from Verizon instead of direct from Google like Nexus' use to. :-\

I'm still hoping for a miracle I guess that production continues and I can get through AT&T (cause I can get a deal lol)... worse case... I may be in China in February and maybe get one there.

That and the unlocked version hasn't been getting consistent updates, while carrier versions do. But if it becomes the only way to get one, some will have to deal with that.

Does anyone know if the unlocked one supports Verizon WiFi calling and LTE-A?

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm afraid we're already seeing Samsung be guarded on what's happening next. It's the lack of transparency that makes this hard to endure, or to trust them. I'm wondering if they have US public relations firms that given them any advice, or if they just ignore that advice? One bad release was bad but the phone made it worth enduring. A second screw up requires more direct and frequent communication to customers even if they haven't nailed down the cause.

I really don't know if I'm interested in a third revision of the Note 7, or if one will even be obtainable through AT&T. I am interested in Samsung's attempt to make this right for those of us who have stuck through the fiasco for two bad releases. It may be that there's a major announcement today or tomorrow about a final recall of all devices, and information about how those of us who have the devices (for the second time) will be handled. Or perhaps they just are in denial.

I'm curious also, has anyone figured out the carrier on which the US devices have been on that burned? I know the Southwest flight was an AT&T device. What if they're all AT&T and it was a problem with the way the recall was handled? I have an AT&T device, that's why I ask...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Again I know he's not technical and probably sources don't use terms either but interesting to hear what they say cause they have their sources too being investors. "Plates?"

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/785326895738925056

That guy can not be trusted for investment advice, yet alone tech. The plates are the anode and cathode layers and there are no wires as he states. The issue fits what Samsung stated already.

The core problem seems they have no control on their QC process, or containment of suspect production lots. No doubt some of the events are bogus, but there are legit ones as well.

The term "exploded" that people use is inaccurate and helps feed part of the narrative that s wrong. None the less, Samsung needs to figure out their problem end scrap a lot of product to be safe. Samsung also needs to abandon sealed battery design.

This problem would literally have been billions of dollars less with a replaceable battery as the item for disposition. Trying to force two year retirement curves like Apple and Google might not be their calling.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm afraid we're already seeing Samsung be guarded on what's happening next. It's the lack of transparency that makes this hard to endure, or to trust them. I'm wondering if they have US public relations firms that given them any advice, or if they just ignore that advice? One bad release was bad but the phone made it worth enduring. A second screw up requires more direct and frequent communication to customers even if they haven't nailed down the cause.

I really don't know if I'm interested in a third revision of the Note 7, or if one will even be obtainable through AT&T. I am interested in Samsung's attempt to make this right for those of us who have stuck through the fiasco for two bad releases. It may be that there's a major announcement today or tomorrow about a final recall of all devices, and information about how those of us who have the devices (for the second time) will be handled. Or perhaps they just are in denial.

I'm curious also, has anyone figured out the carrier on which the US devices have been on that burned? I know the Southwest flight was an AT&T device. What if they're all AT&T and it was a problem with the way the recall was handled? I have an AT&T device, that's why I ask...

pretty sure one of them was Sprint... several pages back someone made a complete list of the 8 confirmed fires. too sleepy to look right now... (it's 3:38am here)

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

pretty sure one of them was Sprint... several pages back someone made a complete list of the 8 confirmed fires. too sleepy to look right now... (it's 3:38am here)

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Maybe the in store phone incidents don't make it out publicly. And I would imagine there are not many phones in store, no N7 sales and small percentage left to get replacements. I suppose lower odds of a fire in store.

But good point.

I do not believe this is a conspiracy against Samsung like many say, Samsung already owned up to the first round of issues so it's not like this phones battery was flawless to begin with.

olga421

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Has there been any reported issues in Canada with a replacement N7, I ve been using mine now for 3 days ,and it's been fine no overheating none what's so ever , so I really don't know what to do at this point , do I return it , and get my money back ,and go back to my BlackBerry passport , or keep the N7 f@#$# ahhhhh

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Safety is definitely paramount. But I think what this thread means is at least wait for Samsung to officially acknowledge that there are still issue with the replaced phones and we can close the episode in peace. Rather than just listening to all these stories which suddenly started coming in in bulk since last Wed although replacement had took place for a few weeks already. How hard is it to intentionally make the phone catch fire, post some video or pic of the burned phone and come up with an innocent story to post on the media?
And how many stories were never told during the first recall because they were potentially silenced by Samsung? The CPSC cited over 90 cases of catastrophic failure yet the media only picked up and reported a handful. That's a lot of other cases never reported.

This time people know not to let the big company silence them.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

I have been following this board since I had an original note, bought on launch day. Not to sound like I am attacking, but of all the comments, you seem too be the only one who wont acknowledge that there could be a problem. You seem to want to put the blame on everyone, accuse them of manufacturing a story instead of the fact there could be a problem with the device.

Like many, I returned my original Note 7. It was the first Samsung I had that I liked. I decided my families safety was not worth the risk. I decided not to get a replacement and am glad I opted to go that route.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I find it curious that people credit the presence or lack of a removable battery as a conspiracy to force obsolescence rather than an action taken in step with the design philosophy. Some people think OEMs want their phones to have a bad experience? How do they get brand retention then?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I know there are other threads, but i started a new one anyway..

How come no reports of the phones burning while in the phone stores or a demo model going up? ..

Floor models are used in a drastically different way than those in the wild. It could very well be that the battery is susceptible to failure due to stress from day to day use. A floor model gets beat on, but beat on in a way far different. Maybe it's stress on the chassis from being in pockets, or a tight case. Hard to tell at this point, but keep in mind that there are (or I guess were now) far more phones in user by the public than are on display.

piinkRainbowz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well it's the same, how to put this, neutral examples. A device sitting unused is not gonna pose the same threat as one being placed in many different variables. From customers habits to how they normally handle a device.

We got some who handle the device however and those who baby their devices. And then we got those in between those two extreme

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Again I know he's not technical and probably sources don't use terms either but interesting to hear what they say cause they have their sources too being investors. "Plates?"

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/785326895738925056

This is purely speculation on my part. I suspect that some, if not all, of these new cases are from people who keep their phones in their back pocket. We know at least one was.

Battery compression was found to be an issue in the original recall. I can see how sitting on the phone could cause this problem to continue.

I'm no Cramer fan (he is an Apple fanboy and nut job) but whatever his source I think they and Nick are on to something. Many of the reported fires have been with people whose butt cheeks are being heated up. Anecdotally, my local AT&T corporate store said they had one pop and start buring the battery in the back office that was a return from a customer who said they dropped it. Either way the phone is under pressure stress (never have understood the desire to back pocket a $500-1000 device).

We've always know that dropping/smashing a lithium ion battery is dangerous and a fire risk. For whatever reason, my money is on too much battery in too small of a space that is subject to pressure problems...would explain round two of incidents even if they think the batteries are more reliable.

This is such a sad outcome - the GN7 was the first (and only) Android device that lured many of us iPhone Plus users to a pen based phablet. It is amazingly thin, light, and easy to handle one-handed for it's screen size, but maybe that is the reason it is having an inordinate number of failures. And please, don't point to other phones that do the same thing - their numbers are far fewer, and supporting bad behavior on one device by pointing to another is merely misdirection, or at worst a strawman argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.