Note 7 to be just a curved display?

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I always been a Note guy and also had the Note 2 thru 5.

I recently had a chance to get a S7 edge and have now been using it for a couple of days. I must say, it's pretty sweet! Mainly because of the look and feel of the edges. I have turned all of the edge apps off for now.

It came with a Pelican case and I'm not seeing any kind of screen protection from the case?

I'm still playing with it now, but if I didn't get such a smoking deal, I would've preferred the flat S7.

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most in that i would prefer a flat standard screen. The curved screen seems to open to breakage.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Can't see myself doing photo editing or drawing with the S Pen on a curved display.
Don't like the distortion of the image at the edges either.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No way on a curved edge display. If Samsung gave me one free I wouldn't take it.

I would definitely take it and use it as a phone for my free time. My work phone would remain as the Note 4. Free? Easily. But I'm also definitely not buying it.

Original Note Priorities:
1. Function
2. Form

Modern Note Priorities
1. Form
2. Function

Iris scanner is super cool but still a gimmick

The edge screen also serves more as an aesthetically pleasing feature. My wife has the flat S7.
She upgraded from the S6 edge. The "edge" was cool for only so long.

Posted via the Android Central App

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
To elaborate, this is from a CNET review of the S7 Edge:

Navigating the Edge
I liked being able to jump into the edge display navigation from any screen, without having to go back to the start screen as you would normally have to do. This was an easy way to reach out to a favorite contact and my most-used app.

This came in very handy. It allowed me to have my home screen very clean!

I've used Nova Launcher for years so I've been able to do this on any phone I've had.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I LOVED the Note Edge. If it is anything like that I am all in!

The Note Edge was a nice phone, but I don't think that two curved, smaller edges will bring the same experience. I would prefer a flat version over one with two curved edges.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried every tempered glass for the S7 Edge and all have failed. The full screen ones only stick to the top, bottom and thin sides. They have the dot matrix over the display area and the touch sensitivity is impacted so bad that the phone is pretty much useless.
Also if you try to install a case they pop right off. The only protector that works even a little is a crappy film one. I would much rather have a nice flat display. I will purchase the Note 7 no matter what but will not be too thrilled with another curved display. :-\

How cases will work with screen protectors is a valid concern. I've had problems with older Notes and trying to find the right case/screen protector (non-glass) combination so that the protector didn't get out of alignment, or peel up due to the case. I think this area (case + screen protector) will be an even more important decision than what phone color to get.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Note Edge was a nice phone, but I don't think that two curved, smaller edges will bring the same experience. I would prefer a flat version over one with two curved edges.

I'm concerned about the smallness of the edges as well. Especially with specific themes and launchers. Will icons actually fit?

Posted via the *Note 5*

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Most of the extra functionality the edge on the S7E provides can be implemented in a flat version if Samsung wanted to. The only thing I can think of that is beneficial to the edge is being able to see info on it with the phone lying flat on a desk whilst lying down, e.g. used as an alarm clock or notifications. Never owned one so just guessing.

Anyway, the potential price of this thing is beginning to scare me, especially for those in the UK what with the pound sterling so low. Hoping that by only releasing an edge version Samsung are cutting costs and pass that on to the consumer... unlikely though, probably bigger profits!