Note 8 AND iPhone 8/X

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. They shown one real world test but we have always known iphones are faster??? Is this not well known or something,lol. When you have a os that is build around the hardware it's always going to be faster and so is the software thatbruns on it.

That's a good thing and what sets Apple apart and frankly something that a company like Samsung should do themselves... The iPhone can complete tasks seconds to minutes faster- that's a big deal. I'm just intrigued with the processing ability, camera/video capabilities and Webos like gestures coming in X. All that said the freedom of Android is just that- freedom without having to feel boxed in, a feeling I always had when I've used an iPhone in the past.

rtronick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r
Tell me what other phone can record in 4k at 60fps or HD at 240fps using the latest HVEC/HEIF codec that reduces media file size by 50% without loss of quality. The new iPhones will also be able to use AF tracking and OIS simultaneously at 4k? I think thats progress. My N8 can't even play 4k 60fps YouTube videos without looking like a slide show.

Try watching this video at the highest resolution on your N8. Watch it struggle.

No issues here!!

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
That's a good thing and what sets Apple apart and frankly something that a company like Samsung should do themselves... The iPhone can complete tasks seconds to minutes faster- that's a big deal. I'm just intrigued with the processing ability, camera/video capabilities and Webos like gestures coming in X. All that said the freedom of Android is just that- freedom without having to feel boxed in, a feeling I always had when I've used an iPhone in the past.

The Verge themselves said they didn't notice any difference in day-to-day performance of the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus vs other phones. So the iPhone 8 Plus can edit video faster in the Tom's Guide benchmarks (which didn't even outline its methodology). Oh well. How many of us actually edit videos on our phones? I don't. And I'm sure you don't either.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
If one was worried about video recording/quality I think I'd look to the V30, it looks like it should be pretty impressive as far as it's recording capabilities. I didn't see anything related to 4k @ 60fps recording, but the control a true video nerd has over their recording is what sets it apart. Am I one of those nerds? No, but I still think it's a great device.

Aside from that- I've got a 7+ as well as my Note, and I love the Note much, much more than the iPhone. I love android more than iOS too. I'm sure the OLED display on the iPhone X will be great, but the screen on the Note is absolutely stunning. Not everyone is going to think so, but the general consensus seems to think it's great.
I did the upgrade to iOS 11 on my iPhone the other night but it's by no means anything even close enough to make me use it again on the daily. Pretty much just hung onto it because I was waiting for the Note 8 (and if I wasn't impressed I was going Oneplus 5) and that's about it.

I haven't changed too much yet on my Note, just the basic stuff. Still using TouchWiz at the moment, I actually find it pretty lightweight compared to previous versions.

I'll probably hang onto the 7+ for a while, but Android will be my daily driver no doubt. It just has much more to offer IMO

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I also got the S8, and iPhone 7+ but the Note 8 is my primary. I have no interest in ANOTHER $1,000 phone. Have to recover first.

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
The Verge themselves said they didn't notice any difference in day-to-day performance of the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus vs other phones. So the iPhone 8 Plus can edit video faster in the Tom's Guide benchmarks (which didn't even outline its methodology). Oh well. How many of us actually edit videos on our phones? I don't. And I'm sure you don't either.

I actually do some of my editing on my phone's... It's better on an iPhone. Still love my Note though. I've never noticed a difference regarding normal phone use either such as sending texts , going on Twitter/Facebook, etc but I wouldn't expect to because those are not highly demanding processes. I like the idea of and the ability to use my phone for everything and consider myself a power user. Just look at what Samsung is doing with Dex Station- to use your phone as a PC. We call them phone's but theyve become much more... This thing has 6GB of RAM... It's not just a phone, it's a computer.

I know this is an Android forum, but that doesn't mean Apple's feats have to be minimized. It's why a fair number of tech-lovers have more than one "phone", there's other devices out there that work well.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I actually do some of my editing on my phone's... It's better on an iPhone. Still love my Note though. I've never noticed a difference regarding normal phone use either such as sending texts , going on Twitter/Facebook, etc but I wouldn't expect to because those are not highly demanding processes. I like the idea of and the ability to use my phone for everything and consider myself a power user. Just look at what Samsung is doing with Dex Station- to use your phone as a PC. We call them phone's but theyve become much more... This thing has 6GB of RAM... It's not just a phone, it's a computer.

I know this is an Android forum, but that doesn't mean Apple's feats have to be minimized. It's why a fair number of tech-lovers have more than one "phone", there's other devices out there that work well.

As I've said, most people aren't power users and won't notice any difference. Since you edit videos on your phone, you'll notice. But I don't edit videos on my phone and most other people don't.

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
As I've said, most people aren't power users and won't notice any difference. Since you edit videos on your phone, you'll notice. But I don't edit videos on my phone and most other people don't.

The point isn't specifically being able to edit or export a video, it's that the iphone can do processor intensive tasks faster. I don't play games on my phone, but others do, so faster load times is something that a person who plays games on their phone might appreciate for that or any other intensive task.
To me it's like dimming sideview mirrors or AC seats in your car. If you've never had a car with them, you wouldn't know what you're missing out 'em.
I'm not trying to persuade anyone to buy an iPhone, I prefer android and the N8. Webos like gestures, the camera and the A11 Bionic chip (like I initially metioned) are why I would consider using both phones.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

The only thing an iPhone can do minutes faster than any android phone is video editing and that’s not something I want to do with my phone. The fact that my 7 plus might open an app a millisecond faster than my note 8 is irrelevant.

My note 8 is plenty fast. No one would think their note 8, pixel etc is slow unless they watched one of these Speedtest videos.

The iPhone 8 has a very fast processor but at the end of the day people are still going to use it for basic things such as web browsing, emailing, using apps etc. All of that power goes largely unused.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The point isn't specifically being able to edit or export a video, it's that the iphone can do processor intensive tasks faster. I don't play games on my phone, but others do, so faster load times is something that a person who plays games on their phone might appreciate for that or any other intensive task.
To me it's like dimming sideview mirrors or AC seats in your car. If you've never had a car with them, you wouldn't know what you're missing out 'em.
I'm not trying to persuade anyone to buy an iPhone, I prefer android and the N8. Webos like gestures, the camera and the A11 Bionic chip (like I initially metioned) are why I would consider using both phones.
The differences in loading games is not that significant. I wouldn’t make a phone purchase based on which phone could load up a game quicker.

Most of the power in the A11 chip will never be used as most use their phone for simple things like watching videos, using apps, web browsing, emails etc and you don’t need the fastest processor on the block.

A more reasonable argument could be that iOS gets games quicker than android or gets better games. If I were a gamer that might be a reason to choose iOS over android. Or if I planned on keeping my phone for more than two years because I know I can get 4 years worth of software updates.

Or the fact that my Apple devices work together in an ecosystem better than equivalent android ones do. That would be a reason for me to pick iOS over android. Not the fact that my iPhone can open an app a millisecond before another android phone can.

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
The differences in loading games is not that significant. I wouldn’t make a phone purchase based on which phone could load up a game quicker.

Most of the power in the A11 chip will never be used as most use their phone for simple things like watching videos, using apps, web browsing, emails etc and you don’t need the fastest processor on the block.

A more reasonable argument could be that iOS gets games quicker than android or gets better games. If I were a gamer that might be a reason to choose iOS over android. Or if I planned on keeping my phone for more than two years because I know I can get 4 years worth of software updates.

Or the fact that my Apple devices work together in an ecosystem better than equivalent android ones do. That would be a reason for me to pick iOS over android. Not the fact that my iPhone can open an app a millisecond before another android phone can.

Ok, the processor was only one of three reasons why I would consider the phone. By the way I read yesterday only the overseas processor is capable of 4k 60fps not the US version for the N8 https://www.neowin.net/news/samsung...ot-getting-support-for-4k-60fps-video-capture
... to each their own.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the processor was only one of three reasons why I would consider the phone. By the way I read yesterday only the overseas processor is capable of 4k 60fps not the US version for the N8 https://www.neowin.net/news/samsung...ot-getting-support-for-4k-60fps-video-capture
... to each their own.
Yes I have the exynos version of the note 8 so maybe I'll get an upgrade soon.

I still have my 7 plus and will probably end up getting the 8 plus as I'm totally unimpressed with the X and it's price tag. But I will wait and see when we hear more about the X and then work out which iPhone to buy this year. Im going to keep my note 8 too.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have an S8+ but did pick up a IP8+ yesterday, I usually have both and have had the 7+ for much of this year. I like the 8+ a lot, yes it is pretty much the same design with a glass back but it is a great phone imo.

I do think that apple have jumped the shark to a degree under TC and that things would have been different if SJ was still there e.g. I'm not convinced that SJ would have signed off on the plus phones but if he did I'm pretty sure we would not have had to wait the best part of 4 years for a 1 handed keyboard! I also do not think he would have allowed the same design to be recycled 4 years running either. As for the notch, and dropping touch ID, no chance!

Having said that if you made me choose just one I'd probably still go iOS.

Anthony Martins Rock

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Tell me what other phone can record in 4k at 60fps or HD at 240fps using the latest HVEC/HEIF codec that reduces media file size by 50% without loss of quality. The new iPhones will also be able to use AF tracking and OIS simultaneously at 4k? I think thats progress. My N8 can't even play 4k 60fps YouTube videos without looking like a slide show.

Try watching this video at the highest resolution on your N8. Watch it struggle.

https://youtu.be/tO01J-M3g0U

Watched both on my unit. I also checked the alternative resolutions to compare. My unit does not stutter perhaps your note 8 is faulty?
As I do have some experience in rendering video and animations at various resolutions I have expected the it would stutter but it did not. No offence to you I understand your issue. It's just not categorically true. The compression on the source material will also effect playback for the end user on top of the hardware and software players that people are using by default in phones. I could render out a video file that would make any computer stutter if I wanted to but when it comes to phones people rely on the default output settings that exist on the device as we buy. Properly optimised video can extremely high quality and still be able to play back on most devices.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Watched both on my unit. I also checked the alternative resolutions to compare. My unit does not stutter perhaps your note 8 is faulty?
As I do have some experience in rendering video and animations at various resolutions I have expected the it would stutter but it did not. No offence to you I understand your issue. It's just not categorically true. The compression on the source material will also effect playback for the end user on top of the hardware and software players that people are using by default in phones. I could render out a video file that would make any computer stutter if I wanted to but when it comes to phones people rely on the default output settings that exist on the device as we buy. Properly optimised video can extremely high quality and still be able to play back on most devices.
Maybe faulty unit. I just tried to watch again at full resolution and it's still not as smooth as the lower res. Each scene is also cut short on high res but not in the lower res. I just wish there was a way of downloading video file at the highest res and watch it on my N8 instead of using the YouTube player which may be the culprit.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I switch back and forth between android and iOS every so often. This is actually the first time I'm considering having both at the same time. The camera features of the X is what has me considering it l, plus im in a long distance relationship and my partner has the 7+ so I was considering going back to iOS for imessage and FaceTime. Although whatsapp and having an iPad st home has mitigated the immediate need for the switch. The more I use my note 8 every day though the more than loving it. I'm waiting to see how I feel in October when preorders go live for it.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe faulty unit. I just tried to watch again at full resolution and it's still not as smooth as the lower res. Each scene is also cut short on high res but not in the lower res. I just wish there was a way of downloading video file at the highest res and watch it on my N8 instead of using the YouTube player which may be the culprit.
Do you have netflix? You could test using Netflix and a HDR 4k content. I don't have netflix... They dropped the X Files

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87