Note 9 battery life.

Mellish1

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
This way day today, not really sure what else I can do to get 6hrs of screen time, tried everything including a factory reset, is this just normal? I was watching mrwhostheboss latest YouTube vid on his top 15 phones this year and in it he stated that the battery life on his note 9 deteriorated after 2 months

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181114-201705_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20181114-201705_Settings.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 59

phiftyopz

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Exynos processors in my experience are power hogs. Samsung could have improved their power consumption since I last used one of their phones with the exynos processor, which was the Galaxy S6 Edge+, but I always see people with them complaining about power consumption when the phone is at idle.

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Exynos processors in my experience are power hogs. Samsung could have improved their power consumption since I last used one of their phones with the exynos processor, which was the Galaxy S6 Edge+, but I always see people with them complaining about power consumption when the phone is at idle.

Interesting thought. Just from spec alone I thought Exynos would get better battery life. And from my side of reading forums I read mostly people praising Exynos for battery life. I guess the safest thing to say is there is way too much variability with these phones nowadays.

Maybe lack of quality control.

phiftyopz

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Interesting thought. Just from spec alone I thought Exynos would get better battery life. And from my side of reading forums I read mostly people praising Exynos for battery life. I guess the safest thing to say is there is way too much variability with these phones nowadays.

Maybe lack of quality control.

Ya. Like I said I haven’t used a phone with an exynos processor since my Galaxy S6 Edge+. They could’ve very well improved power consumption since then. Snapdragon processors have usually had pretty good power efficiency but with all of the people saying that they’re having horrible battery drain and people saying their phone is perfect seems to point towards QA issues. It’s really just like winning the lottery when it comes to wether you are going to get a phone with horrible battery drain or one that’s perfectly normal. I’m getting my Note 9 here soon coming from an iPhone X. I’m so excited to finally get away from Apple’s ecosystem but my only concern is wether it’s going to have this draining issue or if I’m going to get lucky

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Here's my final result. After 65 hours I got 8 hours and 30 minutes of screen.

The trickiest part about these comparisons is average day to day use. Since I have a laptop and iPad I don't use my phone as heavily day to day as someone who solely uses their phone day to day which is how I get such high standby.

Coming from the Note 4 under the same conditions, battery life is literally double. I would only get about 4 hours of screen time with 32 hours of standby with OPTIMIZED (ie compromised settings)

I'm extremely ecstatic about this out of the box results. Maybe once Android Pie hits I can reach 10+ hours screen time with 3 days of standby. Haha.

Just looking at the numbers. Anyone who is using their phone actively for 1/3rd (8 hours) of their day is going to have a dead phone at the end of the day no matter how you slice it.

Attachments

• 5250.jpg
    5250.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 45

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ya. Like I said I haven’t used a phone with an exynos processor since my Galaxy S6 Edge+. They could’ve very well improved power consumption since then. Snapdragon processors have usually had pretty good power efficiency but with all of the people saying that they’re having horrible battery drain and people saying their phone is perfect seems to point towards QA issues. It’s really just like winning the lottery when it comes to wether you are going to get a phone with horrible battery drain or one that’s perfectly normal. I’m getting my Note 9 here soon coming from an iPhone X. I’m so excited to finally get away from Apple’s ecosystem but my only concern is wether it’s going to have this draining issue or if I’m going to get lucky

That is exactly how I felt after I got my phone repaired. Before I cracked the screen I was in the minority of people getting good battery life, and didn't want to lose that over an unauthorized modification.

For whatever reason they changed the battery as well on top of fixing the screen. I almost cussed them out lol. But after a full cycle the battery has been performing better than the last.

Even on my roughest days, I was able to pull a full 24 hours. For the people who aren't there is definitely a defect. But based on location it can be tough getting to a Samsung Experience Store where they can run a diagnostic.

When I was on the Note 4 I definitely had battery envy because at the time people were reporting 8+ hours with 24 hours of standby, and I was only getting 3 if I was lucky under a full day. I only got over 4 hours after rooting and compromising features. It was very annoying.

Probably some fault with the processor and power management. Had a Snapdragon 805.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This way day today, not really sure what else I can do to get 6hrs of screen time, tried everything including a factory reset, is this just normal? I was watching mrwhostheboss latest YouTube vid on his top 15 phones this year and in it he stated that the battery life on his note 9 deteriorated after 2 months

What do you have your display brightness set at?

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
My S9+ running the exynos version has an ordinary battery life, but it was worse then battery improved significantly after August patch.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
"Android system" seems to be killing my battery on my new Note. Today I'm sitting on 28% battery life with only 2h11m screen time. Android system at top with 24%.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have to say after a couple of months of ownership of the Note 9, it doesn't live up to the hype of "all day battery life".

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But I feel now a bit naive thinking because of the 4000 mAh battery it would give me super battery life. I would describe it as "good but not great". But it does recharge nice and quick which I love. In the end I'm not complaining, just making a statement.

But standby drain is particularly bad. I've also had a number of times now the phone was running unusually warm and draining particularly badly, (not playing games) and I've powered off the phone and restarted it. It's happened about 3 times in about 2 months and happened again earlier today. I was watching some YouTube and even put the display brightness to bare minimum. But it persisted to run warm.

I'm really now hanging out for Android P to hopefully rectify some glitches I have experienced.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I have to say after a couple of months of ownership of the Note 9, it doesn't live up to the hype of "all day battery life".

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. But I feel now a bit naive thinking because of the 4000 mAh battery it would give me super battery life. I would describe it as "good but not great". But it does recharge nice and quick which I love. In the end I'm not complaining, just making a statement.

But standby drain is particularly bad. I've also had a number of times now the phone was running unusually warm and draining particularly badly, (not playing games) and I've powered off the phone and restarted it. It's happened about 3 times in about 2 months and happened again earlier today. I was watching some YouTube and even put the display brightness to bare minimum. But it persisted to run warm.

I'm really now hanging out for Android P to hopefully rectify some glitches I have experienced.

It running warm shows that the copper cooling pipe is doing its job. It dissipates the heat outside your phone not keep it stored inside.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It running warm shows that the copper cooling pipe is doing its job. It dissipates the heat outside your phone not keep it stored inside.

Oh ok. Well that is good but the question is why was it running warm when I was only doing pedestrian activities? As I say, I'm not criticizing or complaining. I love this phone and would love to get another Note.

note1note9

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Oh ok. Well that is good but the question is why was it running warm when I was only doing pedestrian activities? As I say, I'm not criticizing or complaining. I love this phone and would love to get another Note.

Yeah that I have no idea why haha. My phone gets warm when I'm playing intensive games like pubg and charging it at the same time.

If it isn't very warm I wouldn't get too concerned. Maybe you have a few activities running in the background? When I'm torrenting stuff my note 9 gets warm too.

Ps: love my note 9 too

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Excessive battery drain during standby, getting warm during normal use etc. would suggest to me that you have a lot of background activity going on. Perhaps an app, service or syncing running rampant. Have you tested your phone by running it in safe mode?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Excessive battery drain during standby, getting warm during normal use etc. would suggest to me that you have a lot of background activity going on. Perhaps an app, service or syncing running rampant. Have you tested your phone by running it in safe mode?

I have gone through every app individually and turned off running in background for mobile data. Plus every app is in always sleeping mode except Life360.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have gone through every app individually and turned off running in background for mobile data. Plus every app is in always sleeping mode except Life360.

Towards the end of your day, go into settings then apps and check each for battery usage since last full charge. See if any show battery use outside of those that you used during the day or any excessive amounts reported.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
"Android system" still killing my battery. 2h3m screen time down to 15% battery life left. 25% drain from Android System.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe