Nothing but problems with my T-Mobile Note 3?...

liveinlovexx

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!!

So I have always pretty much been an android user. I have always had T-mobile so therefore had no apple options. I did have one iPhone when the very first one came out.
Sooo, based off of that history, I am seriously ready to trade in my note 3 for the iphone 5s...

Top reasons:

The first device I had, I kept getting an error msg from lookout everytime I switch my wifi on (which I use often at home) it said "An unauthorized app is trying to attempt to get into your phone" blah blah blah. Well, we ruled out every single APP I had installed (being they were only market apps anyways, no third party ones) and we did figure out it was the lookout app that is having issues with KNOX. I e-mailed lookout, they claim there is a fix on the way and until then just select do not view msg for 30 days. Ok fine. So long as everything else works I am ok. THEN, the phoen got super hot, overheated, the msg popped up a million times and my phone went from fully charged to red in less than an hour! Ok?... I went to t-mobile, they gave me a new phone. Fine. At the store the mgr said he hasn't had anyone have this issue, especially the lookout knox app, but that's hardly believable since lookout is aware of the issue.
Well, I thought ok new device, new start. No issues.
Nope. Lookout is doing the same thing.
So yesterday my battery drained again, super hot phone. I went to my battery settings and lookout had used like 50% of my phone batter within 30 minutes...
Now it's freezing on me when I use simple apps like facebook and pandora.

Yes, I have factory reset it various times. Nothing helps.

Anyone else having this issue?

I need a phone that will work. I love the galaxy, I love the screen, the pen, the customized experience... but in the end, I want a phone I can rely on. Help! :-\

- - - Updated - - -

OHHH and the whole magazine app from the pull down menu (well rather when you pull it up) drives me insane!....

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I did see a similar issue, found it to be lookout, I disabled lookout for now. I don't need it and all is well. Very please with my TMO Note 3.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried going to a different retailer for another replacement? I have seen it stated sometimes that it's best to switch stores because the one you originally went to might have a bad batch of phones.

I have yet to experience a bad batch but always remember this just in case if and when it does.

I have not had a hot phone issue, knock on wood. I, like the previous poster did, Uninstalled the lookout app because I see no real use for it. And I keep my battery usage under control with the Active Apps Manager widget, my battery lasts longer now.

Good luck in whatever you try.

RussBad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
1. It's not Lookout. When you get the notification with a shield, drop down your notification bar from the top of the screen. Long press the shield icon notification until App info appears. This will let you know that it's the Knox notification app giving you that warning. It takes you to the Knox app settings, uncheck the box for notifications. This will disable the notifications until you reboot again. You can also go to settings, general, application manager, find the Knox notification app and disable notifications.
2. Overheating is caused by your external SD card being scanned. Everytime you reboot your phone, remove the sd card first until the phone is fully booted, then reinsert the card.
3. Install Nova Launcher, customize your phone to set a different app for swipe actions or disable swipe actions. This will get rid of the Magazines app popping up all the time.

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not every brand of SD card that is doing that. I don't remember the ones that had the most complaints though. I've been using a PNY without any problems of heating up.

liveinlovexx

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the reply! I tried to disable lookout but it still pops up, and it's not the shield popping up its the green lines that lookout has that pops up. Could I be disabling it wrong?...

As for going to another store for the device, we don't have another one very close BUT I guess it's worth driving an hour hehe.

And thanks for the app tip to get rid of the magazine feature. It drives me nuts. I always seem to accidentally hit it.

I am in the return Window still and these glitches really make me want to return my phone but honestly there isn't any other phone I want out there right now. If these glitches can be fixed then I am ok. :]

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
To disable Lookout go to Settings>General>Application manager, then swipe right until it shows ALL at the top, scroll down to Lookout and click it then you'll see the option for Force stop, Uninstall updates, and Turn Off. Select Turn Off. It gives you a warning and you just click OK and you're good to go.

liveinlovexx

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Awesome thanks! Do you think that this is also causing my phone to overheat? Last time I was using it to play Pandora radio and it immediately got hot and lost all of its battery. Also could the case be causing the heat issue? I have a case that has a flip cover?... thanks for all the help! I really do want to keep the phone. So many positives compared to the negatives. But alas the negatives are big bah lol

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Many things could cause the heating issue. If you're still having it after disabling Lookout, then check your battery stats and see what is using up the most of it. Also, if you are streaming with Pandora, are you on Wi-Fi or using your phones' data connection? If you're on data and you don't live in an area with LTE, you might consider going into the settings and switching it to WCDMA/GSM auto connect instead of the LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto connect. The reason is that it will search for that LTE connection (and never find it) and that will eat the battery. As others have said, you may have to take it into a store so they can test the battery and phone for you to be sure that it's functioning correctly. The media service also sometimes continually scans some SD cards as well and this will cause the phone to heat up. So many possibilities.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
To disable Lookout go to Settings>General>Application manager, then swipe right until it shows ALL at the top, scroll down to Lookout and click it then you'll see the option for Force stop, Uninstall updates, and Turn Off. Select Turn Off. It gives you a warning and you just click OK and you're good to go.
Don't turn off Lookout. This is not the one causing the problem. I have been following a very long thread on the regular samsung note 3 forums and the one causing the problem is KNOX. Lookout is an antivirus the you need in the phone plus the other services that provides. There are several steps that you can take in order to get rid of it and one of them is not to postpone the notice until 30 days cause if you do that and you reboot the error/warning will come back. My only advise is to do a search on the other forums and take the time to read the postings from other people. I did it and I don't have the error/warning any more.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't turn off Lookout. This is not the one causing the problem. I have been following a very long thread on the regular samsung note 3 forums and the one causing the problem is KNOX. Lookout is an antivirus the you need in the phone plus the other services that provides. There are several steps that you can take in order to get rid of it and one of them is not to postpone the notice until 30 days cause if you do that and you reboot the error/warning will come back. My only advise is to do a search on the other forums and take the time to read the postings from other people. I did it and I don't have the error/warning any more.

you don't need lookout...you actually don't need any antivirus if you're doing nothing wrong.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
you don't need lookout...you actually don't need any antivirus if you're doing nothing wrong.
You don't need to do anything wrong............. all you have to do is install a third party app........to infest you phone........... I hope you don't do the same with your PC..........

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
i don't have any anti-virus on my mac book or any of my devices either. I don't experiment with apps by sideloading or even care for free apps. most problems come from user error not someone intentionally trying to give you a virus.

Posted via Android Central App

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well let me tell you something, the other day I was in google looking for a reason as to why my son's iphone was rebooting constantly and one thing that I found out was that some apps even though they are from the app store they are not free from being contaminated. One more thing I downloaded from google play an app for pictures and when I tried to ran it, lookout gave me an error that it contained add a ware.... and I deleted it.... I guess what I am telling you is that you don't need to experiment with apps or sideloading to get infected now days even on our phones. But again.. this is my opinion. to each its own ............