Notification Sounds Bother My Dog

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
My dog freaks out hearing Notifcation Sounds. Playing apps, phone ringing, etc do not get any reaction from my dog. Even playing loud YouTube videos, she just sits there. But when notification sounds happen, she freaks out. This did not happen with my previous phones, but for last 3 years with Samsung S10 all the time.
If she is in the other room, she comes in to investigate, then goes as far away as possible. If we are in the same room, she hears it and goes as far away as possible. This seems to be the case with Galaxy, Yahoo and AOL sounds that are listed under Notification Sounds. Even "Alpha" which is a more quiet one, bothers her.
Anyone know why this is and if I can do anything about it? Thanks.

PetieZ

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My dog freaks out hearing Notifcation Sounds. Playing apps, phone ringing, etc do not get any reaction from my dog. Even playing loud YouTube videos, she just sits there. But when notification sounds happen, she freaks out. This did not happen with my previous phones, but for last 3 years with Samsung S10 all the time.
If she is in the other room, she comes in to investigate, then goes as far away as possible. If we are in the same room, she hears it and goes as far away as possible. This seems to be the case with Galaxy, Yahoo and AOL sounds that are listed under Notification Sounds. Even "Alpha" which is a more quiet one, bothers her.
Anyone know why this is and if I can do anything about it? Thanks.
Change the tune to something that doesn't effect her. Test which ones do. Obviously she is hearing some frequency she doesn't like in the tunes that she is reacting to.

My dog used to freak out when the smoke alarm would "dead battery chirp".

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Of course I've tried that many many times over the last 4 years. That's why I mentioned I tried the AOL sounds the Yahoo sounds all kinds of sounds but the Samsung sounds all freak her out. That's why I'm posting here

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It's obviously some dog whistle sound it's not the vibration. And I don't know why on my previous HTC phones I never had a problem. But this has been a problem for as I mentioned over 3 years

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's obviously some dog whistle sound it's not the vibration. And I don't know why on my previous HTC phones I never had a problem. But this has been a problem for as I mentioned over 3 years
Does the phone vibrate when it rings for a call as well? If not, then I still wonder if the vibration motor might be a possible cause. Sure, the vibration itself may not bother your dog, but perhaps the activation of the vibration motor is causing some high-frequency sound as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very weird. I would guess that when the speaker gets activated for notification tones only, it's including some ultra-high frequency sound that's bothering your dog. Not sure if that's a hardware or software issue.

I assume she doesn't react this way when she hears notification tones from other peoples' phones?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No because it is obviously something about the sounds coming from S10. Not other phones
If it doesn't happen with other phones, then I'm thinking more and more that there's a hardware problem with your phone. Considering how old the S10 is, and for the sake of your dog, this would be a good time to consider upgrading to a more recent phone.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking of going to an Iphone. I never had this problem with 3 HTC phones. But this S10 is still working fine after more than 3 1/2 years. A slight crack happened about 6 months ago. Even tho its 4G, I have no problems with the phone, so not in a rush to get a new phone.
I was wondering if any other dog owners have this issue.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Of course I've tried that many many times over the last 4 years. That's why I mentioned I tried the AOL sounds the Yahoo sounds all kinds of sounds but the Samsung sounds all freak her out. That's why I'm posting here
You can change the notification sounds to a custom one , don't have to use the stock built-in Samsung ones .

Reactions: BerryBubbles

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have tried all sorts of ways. Some sounds are internal to that particular app.
I guess no one else has ever had this problem and people think I have not tried for 3 years EVERYTHING to figure out why Samsung phones act like a dog whistle.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking of going to an Iphone. I never had this problem with 3 HTC phones. But this S10 is still working fine after more than 3 1/2 years. A slight crack happened about 6 months ago. Even tho its 4G, I have no problems with the phone, so not in a rush to get a new phone.
I was wondering if any other dog owners have this issue.
So, did your dog react this way before you cracked your phone

We should also all try not to forget that animals are individuals with their own personalities. This may be an issue specific to not only the phone but also the dog.?

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Why are the responses looking for the least likely reason? From the start the S10 had a dog whistle in its speakers. Thanks for the responses, but I am sure that the frequency of the S10 is the issue.
I like having different sounds for different apps, but then its a problem due to the high frequencies of the S10 speakers.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards