Notifications drop down to small

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This is REALLY ANNOYING. I thought that "Notifications" in Nougat were supposed to be improved. Instead, I can't even read them, the font is so small.

"Improving" notifications does not necessarily mean they made the font size bigger. I have provided suggestions (based on my Nexus device) as to how to make the font/screen larger. If your device does not support that, your beef is with the device manufacturer, not with Nougat itself, since the device manufacturer often will modify the settings to only make available what they feel you should have. Personally, I have mine set to the smallest font size so more info can fit on the screen, but my eyesight is pretty good (it better be for what I paid for Lasik!).

For what it's worth, I find the notification changes very much welcome. I like that if I have multiple notifications from a Gmail account I can expand it to show individual emails and ACT on those individual emails right from the notification screen. I also like that I can expand them without the swipe-down gesture, just need to tap the top line of the that notification and it expands down.

1k2

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Pull the drop down bar fully down,at the bottom should be the Brightness bar, right of that there is a button press that, and set the "Brightness Bar"at the top, sorted :)

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Making notifications "better" shouldn't mean locking "everyone" into the same mold. Some of us, basically to the tune of 61% (or the majority of us for those mathematically challenged), wear glasses. Making the text a super tiny and thin lined font is not an improvement to those of us who have difficulty reading font size 6 (or 4 or whatever it is now) with no option to change it. The notifications are "different", being "better" or not is in the eye of the beholder and 61% of the beholders think it's not.

Will be trying Heads Up (thanks Kelly) or other app but just kind of wish we had the option to make it back to the way it was, which is "better" than what it is now.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@infinitempg I get what you're saying, but improving notifications also includes the functionality of those - grouping notifications for an app, expanding that group to act on individual notifications, etc.

On Nexus devices, the size of things on the screen can be adjusted (I earlier posted a screenshot of my notification shade with the slider set to make everything as big as possible). I believe Samsung has chosen to either move that slider or not offer it at all.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The size of the text on my Nexus 5X did not change when I updated to Nougat, so as others have said, this is not an overall Nougat issue, but an issue with the device specific version.

TaranQ

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank God I am not the only one. I hated the tiny notifications font. Filling up the entire notification area. It is in fact not better at all. Only this was even the reason I downgraded to MM again. It seems things are only getting worse. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is better?? What kind of people are these devs? I know it is Personal but even with a bigger font. So much test fit into a small area going to the very edge of the screen. That is just stupid. Doesn't contribute to readability!!

CallieD

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung S6. I agree the font in the shade is too small and doesn't respond to changing the font size in the device settings. I paid Samsung $1.79 and downloaded a thicker/darker font and set it as the default for the device and now the notifications in the shade is easier to read. The font is Kabel.

Ace111

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Annoying. Horrible. Dumb idea android.
It's not readable. Even if the font is larger it's horribly unorganized, horrible variation between various applications notifying.

If I buy a charcoal truck with a large heads up display I am not happy being forced to wake up to a periwinkle pastel truck with small display. That's not progressive change, that's stupid business. You really want us to switch to iPhones?!!! This has to stop. I need a phone for business, this was a stupid move a kid would like. Not a business professional
(Galaxy Note 5)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Of course you can make it extremely tiny too!

Go into developer options and adjust minimum width. Nougat brought custom display scaling, I'm surprised no one on here knew this.

Attachments

• 8609.jpg
    8609.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 27

Ross Adams

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes I too have same problem. All the forums reies are same to adjust the font or zoom or accessibility but none of these work . My phone is galaxy s6 .I had marshmallow ver6 it is . I let it do what looked like a granular update (they never tell you is it a major change) and to my HORROR it reduced my lovely S6 to what looks like stock android that looks more like a cheap China phone. I called samsung and it seems android are flexing there muscles on all makers to conform . It has lost all the fantastic features I loved about Samsung like the BIG colour icons and BIG notification and the ULTRA battery saver feature that makes the phone behave like JUST a phone basic internet but tripped battery life .
So upset about this so I will be flashing my phone back to marshmallow ver 6.01 after I buy a used S6 then sell this S6 with Nougat on eBay. I will no longer buy Samsung now as they managed to make a wonder front end that made android behave as comfortable as the IPHONE so guess what I'm buying next. Even though I like android with Samsung I cannot tollerat it's microscopic text that only works if you have 20 20 vision . Half the population have glasses . What were they thinking . Probable the same idiotic team who thought up Windows 8 no start button is my guess.

Ross Adams

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The min width only adjusts everything bigger and then makes things one does not want bigger. It distorts the screen so some buttons go off screen .it's nothing different from the display option . What customers want it to set JUST the Notification area to bigger txt
I am flashing my s6 back to marshmallow and if android don't fix this supit screw up I along with many middle age with less than perfect eyes will be moving to Apple . That's half the population so I bet Apple share just climbed a bit

Yes I too have same problem. All the forums reies are same to adjust the font or zoom or accessibility but none of these work . My phone is galaxy s6 .I had marshmallow ver6 it is . I let it do what looked like a granular update (they never tell you is it a major change) and to my HORROR it reduced my lovely S6 to what looks like stock android that looks more like a cheap China phone. I called samsung and it seems android are flexing there muscles on all makers to conform . It has lost all the fantastic features I loved about Samsung like the BIG colour icons and BIG notification and the ULTRA battery saver feature that makes the phone behave like JUST a phone basic internet but tripped battery life .
So upset about this so I will be flashing my phone back to marshmallow ver 6.01 after I buy a used S6 then sell this S6 with Nougat on eBay. I will no longer buy Samsung now as they managed to make a wonder front end that made android behave as comfortable as the IPHONE so guess what I'm buying next. Even though I like android with Samsung I cannot tollerat it's microscopic text that only works if you have 20 20 vision . Half the population have glasses . What were they thinking . Probable the same idiotic team who thought up Windows 8 no start button is my guess.ý

Last edited:

Ross Adams

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
It's because you most likely wear contacts or have 20 20 vision or and are under 40.
Half the population cannot see the notifications and apple shares just went up is my guess as I am going to Apple even though I loved android once .

b.grdner

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 5 and I was able to go into Settings > Display > Screen Zoom and font and towards the bottom there is a slider for Font Size. You might/might not have to restart your phone after the change.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 5 and I was able to go into Settings > Display > Screen Zoom and font and towards the bottom there is a slider for Font Size. You might/might not have to restart your phone after the change.

That didn't change the drop down notification size. Mine is still tiny even wth my font size HUGE, which is as large as it will get.