Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have nova and the lock screen still ripples

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So no one in this thread has really answered the question: Nova or Apex. I can't really find the answer either and I have both installed right now!

First, you can install them (one or both) and Touchwiz does not go anywhere. At any time you can reset the default launcher and you will get a popup asking you which one you want to use (when you press the home button). If you don't tick the "Use by default" box then it continues to work like this. See attached screenshot.

I was able to leave the default unset and quickly go between my Touchwiz home screen and my Apex/Nova home screens. This helped me see my icon/widget layout in Touchwiz and copy that to Apex/Nova.

It seems that once you choose a default you can pretty much ignore the other(s). If I choose to set Nova as my default then there are no traces of Apex or Touchwiz (the home screen at least). At any time you can go reset that and pick another. Since I have all 3 installed now I'm not sure if there's any real reason to uninstall anything in case I change my mind later. It will be interesting to see if one of them is using any battery in the background - I will test that and post in this thread.

So once again..which one do I pick. I tried Nova first and set everything up the way I liked. Once I was comfy I then installed Apex and did it again. There were very few differences. Some things are achieved differently but the end result is the same. It's a total toss-up for me at this point but I know I'm not going back to Touchwiz. The ability to have more than 4 x 4 icon grid on the home screen is like changing your computer monitor resolution from 720p to 1080p. You suddenly have so much more space to work with!

The last part of this equation is annoying...both apps have more features once you pay. Some of the features in the free version of one are only accessible in the paid version of the other. It would be nice if I had more than 15 minutes to buy both and try out the premium features head to head...because that's the real test...

sp0tted

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the paid version of Apex and really like it. Apex and Nova are almost interchangeable as far as features are concerned I think.

I've tried both. Pretty much agree. Right now I'm using the paid version of Apex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I just ran Apex for an hour with Nova unused the entire time. Badass Battery Monitor showed Nova as 0.0% battery usage during that time. Not sure if that's rounded down or not but it seems like further evidence that you can leave both Nova and Apex on your phone and switch whenever you want.

Also BTW in Apex the infinite scrolling options for the homescreen...I can't figure out what the difference is between jump and bounce.

EDIT: Found a fairly significant issue for me: Apex does not support creating folders in the app drawer (Nova does). I like the idea of being able to put folders in the app drawer instead of having them on the home screens.

Last edited:

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
A quick list of what differences I've been able to notice so far with each free version. Some things are ignored here knowing I will get them in the paid version. For example, Apex gives you most gestures for free - Nova you have to pay before you get any.

Nova Pros:
-Can put folders and tabs in app drawer (only tabs in Apex)
-Can change theme color without addon pack
-Cleaner/faster home screen scroll animations (seeing some pixelation in cube transition of Apex as it disappears)
-Can change speed of home screen and dock scrolling (vs. animation time)

Apex Pros:
-App drawer can be vertical/paginated (not in Nova)
-Folder preview icons with up to 9 icons (6 max in Nova)
-Seems to have more settings/options - nothing significant though. I like being able to control what's on my home screen menu, for example.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me if Nova will give unread counts for Exchange? It only mentions gmail in the write up.

That was thing I missed about Sense when I switched to Launcher Pro, and like that Touchwiz has it.

Buckeye855

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I got a question that hopefully someone can answer...I was messing around with Nova and moved my home screen to the furthest on the left. When I clicked confirm, it completely deleted my home screen that I had made, except for the docks. So I had to remake it, but now I have no icon for the Nova Settings, which was convenient. Now I can't figure out how to get it back...i know I can access it's settings through the menu button, but it's nice having the app on my home screen. Anyone know how I can get it back?

mtech5

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Holocaust Launcher Plus. It has lots of different options. You can use ICS shortcuts or use Samsung shortcuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Holocaust Launcher Plus. It has lots of different options. You can use ICS shortcuts or use Samsung shortcuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
Maybe it's a good launcher but I would have a problem putting a launcher named after the Holocaust on my phone. Just sayin'...

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I got a question that hopefully someone can answer...I was messing around with Nova and moved my home screen to the furthest on the left. When I clicked confirm, it completely deleted my home screen that I had made, except for the docks. So I had to remake it, but now I have no icon for the Nova Settings, which was convenient. Now I can't figure out how to get it back...i know I can access it's settings through the menu button, but it's nice having the app on my home screen. Anyone know how I can get it back?

Press the menu button bottom left and the nova settings will be in that list.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
So no one in this thread has really answered the question: Nova or Apex. I can't really find the answer either and I have both installed right now!

First, you can install them (one or both) and Touchwiz does not go anywhere. At any time you can reset the default launcher and you will get a popup asking you which one you want to use (when you press the home button). If you don't tick the "Use by default" box then it continues to work like this. See attached screenshot.

[URL=http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/391/20120715154015p.png]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

I was able to leave the default unset and quickly go between my Touchwiz home screen and my Apex/Nova home screens. This helped me see my icon/widget layout in Touchwiz and copy that to Apex/Nova.

It seems that once you choose a default you can pretty much ignore the other(s). If I choose to set Nova as my default then there are no traces of Apex or Touchwiz (the home screen at least). At any time you can go reset that and pick another. Since I have all 3 installed now I'm not sure if there's any real reason to uninstall anything in case I change my mind later. It will be interesting to see if one of them is using any battery in the background - I will test that and post in this thread.

So once again..which one do I pick. I tried Nova first and set everything up the way I liked. Once I was comfy I then installed Apex and did it again. There were very few differences. Some things are achieved differently but the end result is the same. It's a total toss-up for me at this point but I know I'm not going back to Touchwiz. The ability to have more than 4 x 4 icon grid on the home screen is like changing your computer monitor resolution from 720p to 1080p. You suddenly have so much more space to work with!

The last part of this equation is annoying...both apps have more features once you pay. Some of the features in the free version of one are only accessible in the paid version of the other. It would be nice if I had more than 15 minutes to buy both and try out the premium features head to head...because that's the real test...

I don't understand why someone should pay for all the features on apex or nova when go launcher gives you all those features for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Press and hold on your screen to add something to it. Then choose "Nova Actions". Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select "Nova Settings". Done!

Reactions: Buckeye855

ti2grrr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why someone should pay for all the features on apex or nova when go launcher gives you all those features for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Coming from being a Golauncher for everything user my reason is simply this Go doesn't have things set up 4 ICS the same way Apex or Nova does(I paid for Apex as my choice of the better of the two.) I was looking for a bit of a change that ICS brings and slapping Go on top of it made it seem just like my Droid X in a way...while I like the uniformness of Go&all the apps like Gowidget Gocalendar etc.It gave me a chance to explore other things&see what else was out there...it also has a wider expand of lay outs of screen Widgets like I think as high as 8x8 etc...&even more resize of things. It also doesnt look as "cartoony" DONT get me wrong I still like Go &may go back

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from being a Golauncher for everything user my reason is simply this Go doesn't have things set up 4 ICS the same way Apex or Nova does(I paid for Apex as my choice of the better of the two.) I was looking for a bit of a change that ICS brings and slapping Go on top of it made it seem just like my Droid X in a way...while I like the uniformness of Go&all the apps like Gowidget Gocalendar etc.It gave me a chance to explore other things&see what else was out there...it also has a wider expand of lay outs of screen Widgets like I think as high as 8x8 etc...&even more resize of things. It also doesnt look as "cartoony" DONT get me wrong I still like Go &may go back
I was a former GO user on my DX. GO just got a bit too pushy for me and I like the idea of using a program that can only be used on ICS or JB...